How is the FJR around town?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My daily commuter is a 250, 2008 Ninjette Kawasaki. Nimble, cornering dream, great gas mileage and way superior to my FJR in city stop and go traffic. I've got soft bags to carry rain gear etc. but hey the FJR will get you there if that's all you have.
I'm with Bill on this one. Theirs nothing wrong with the FJR around town, in fact, I've quite happily commuted on it for the last 4 years. That being said, I recently picked up a 94 Ninja 250. Much better and hoot to run around town on. It's for sale now though, just bought a new CBR250R yesterday! It' even better than the Ninja if that were possible (better seat, much better low end).

Hey, why just have a swiss army knife when you can have a scalpel or two as well!

When that 6+ gallon gas tank is full, the FJR is a little top heavy. I came from a Yamaha Venture which is a big tourning bike and I think the FJR is just as top heavy. But,once you get used to the feel and weight of the bike you should be just fine. Easy to drop if you are not careful or paying attention to what you are doing though. Get it, get used to it and enjoy.

GP

I'm seriously considering the FJR. I love the power, the sleek look, the comfort. But, I'm wondering how it works for you gents around town.

It seems like I'm either riding 5 miles (around town) or 500 (road trip).

Is it difficult to manage around town (parking lots, grocery store runs, restaurants)?

Thanks.

Steven
If you want an FJR to use in heavy city traffic, get the YCCS model. No clutch-hand fatigue. Almost no disadvantage (the only slight issue is having to re-learn low speed manoeuvres).

I was forced into a YCCS by my clutch hand little finger getting excruciatingly painful. Never regretted my choice. Many of my miles are doing a 3-mile city traffic commute, it's a breeze, and no disadvantage in any open-road traffic.

I'm seriously considering the FJR. I love the power, the sleek look, the comfort. But, I'm wondering how it works for you gents around town.

Is it difficult to manage around town (parking lots, grocery store runs, restaurants)?

Thanks.

Steven

absolutely a fantastic machine around town & open road. You can't go wrong!

Dewaldt

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys.

I havent really considered the AE since it seems stigmatized and critically disliked. I've never owned a clutchless bike so I didn't put it high on my list (or on the list at all). Seems like you can get a better deal on the AE right now since it's not high demand. Any of you regret buying the AE?

Also, I work from home so I'm rarely in stop and go traffic. I'm not worried about the heat issue during a commute. I was mostly wondering about how it handled in parking lots, ingress/egress from stores etc. My 800GS is awesome around town but it's so effing tall. Anyway...

Thanks for the advice. Keep it coming.

Thanks.

Steve

In a word.............fast!

Thanks guys.

I havent really considered the AE since it seems stigmatized and critically disliked. I've never owned a clutchless bike so I didn't put it high on my list (or on the list at all). Seems like you can get a better deal on the AE right now since it's not high demand. Any of you regret buying the AE?

Also, I work from home so I'm rarely in stop and go traffic. I'm not worried about the heat issue during a commute. I was mostly wondering about how it handled in parking lots, ingress/egress from stores etc. My 800GS is awesome around town but it's so effing tall. Anyway...

No regret on the AE at all. Takes about half a block to learn it, a little longer to use it smoothly.

Thanks guys.

No regret on the AE at all. Takes about half a block to learn it, a little longer to use it smoothly.

Funny thing is I have yet to see it stigmatized or critically disliked by an AE owner. On my second AE and loving it!

The FJR is not any worse handling than any other comparable size scoot. IMHO, it is one of the best at slow speed handling, once you get proficient with it. As with any new bike, hit a parking lot and practice, practice, practice those slow speed maneuvers and when you can ride a circle nearly against the steering stop, you'll be ready for the blue hairs in their Buicks at the grocery store.
+1

I (regretfully) sold my old Nighthawk S after getting the FJR. I preferred it around town, as the FJR is a bit of overkill. That said, the FJR has been my only bike for a couple years now. I ride it every day to work (4 miles). Gets a little warm waiting at a light in 90-degree heat, but beyond that, it's just excellent. I love the torque, and the few times a year I get to break away and ride off into the sunset make it all worth it.

Also, very comfy for my wife. Took it to dinner the other night, no problem.

Nice. Once I get my GS sold, I'll likely get one.

On a side note, what is the advantage of the FJR over the Concours aside from the fact the FJR simply looks better (by far)?

Another AE owner that went for the great deal I got and has no regrets whatsoever.

The Connie is different in some of the ergos, so it might or might not feel right for you, but the biggest deal breaker for me with it is the frequent valve checks that need to have the engine pulled.

Nice. Once I get my GS sold, I'll likely get one.

On a side note, what is the advantage of the FJR over the Concours aside from the fact the FJR simply looks better (by far)?

Advantages: Lower seat, easier and cheaper to perform valve adjustments. Both the Connie and FJR are awesome machines. Bill

After doing the FREE Barbarian Jumper Modification to my 2007AE, riding around doing slow speed maneuvers changed to like it is supposed to be, and what I was used to on some of my other bikes, and not so jerky.

No doubt there are countless bikes that are easier to handle in close quarters and just have better overall low speed handing than an FJR. If you can have a grocery getter and a FJR that's not an issue. If the FJR is to be you only bike, you'll need to be able to handle it at slow speeds. It's just a learning process, no different than getting familiar with any other bike. Of the 20 odd bikes I've owned the FJR isn't the worst at city work, but certainly not the best. It's somewhere in the middle. Practice, practice, practice.

The AE isn't clutchless...it has virtually the same clutch as the non-AE. It's just that the YCCS system actuates it for you via your throttle inputs, to simplify the description a bit. You probably knew that, but just in case...

Regret? What's the opposite of regret? That's what I have. I picked up my '07AE in late 2008 and haven't regretted it one bit. Like someone else said, it'll take you a minute or two to get used to it and a bit longer to get smooth with it, but it's so much more fun to rip through the gears (in my humble opinion) that I'll not willingly go back to a standard bike.

If you're a half way experienced rider like it sounds you are, I find the FJR very easy around town and in parking lots. I imagine if I wasn't 6'2 it wouldn't be so easy to back up, but I have zero issues. Turns on a dime at parking lot speeds, figure eights are easy, quick and light low speed steering compared to a sport bike.

I ride the FJR to work(48 miles one way) and find it easy to maneuver both on 2 lane roads passing slow vehicles and in city traffic. Had one guy tell me once " I want to get a light bike like that next" I told him that it was not all that light and got the reply that "you whip it around like it had no weight to it". Never tought of it as top heavy and the only time I noticed the weight was when I went through sugar sand :unsure: .

Personally the FJR is an all-around bike. Weight can work with you just as much as it can work against you. I have had good success with slow speed riding, ie. splitting lanes, working in and out of traffic, shopping centers etc. This is not just a long distance tourer by any means and is actually easier to slow-ride than my HD SofTail. PM. <>< :D