Howdi for the first time

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BubbaZ-Isaac

Reaction score
Picked up my '06 last Friday in the S.F. Bay Area and picked up the bags today.

In the process of installing the bags I discovered:

1. The instructions say the installation requires some supplied brackets and hardware which was not supplied and as far as I could see was not required.

2. The size * shaped bit required to unscrew and install the locks is not a size and type I have and will probably not be in the average tool box. (Got them off and on with needle nose for now).

3. Instructions call for a kind of adhesive I've never heard of to attach the rubber bumpers that the bags rest on. Probably just a apoxy but who knows?

Anyway, bags are on and look great.

Time to burn some fossil fuel.

I believe it is a "security" torx bit - meaning that the center of drilled or hollowed out so that the corresponding nipple in the bolt will fit. I have the same sort of security allen wrench for my license plate frames.

congratulations on the new ride. Got mine the same day - but I still don't have the bags. Did the 600 mile service today and hoped the bags would be there... they weren't :angry:

OSH carries the security torx bit, but I've forgotten the size.  Don't forget the thread-lock when you do the install.
SIZE 10 - and heed Slick's warning. These screws simply WILL come loose if you don't use lock-tite, or some other thread locking stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked up my '06 last Friday in the S.F. Bay Area and picked up the bags today.In the process of installing the bags I discovered:

1. The instructions say the installation requires some supplied brackets and hardware which was not supplied and as far as I could see was not required.
If you are brand new to the FJR double check re the brackets. I don't know how the '06 bags locate at the bottom, but on earlier models it was possible to install the bags without installing the brackets, and then lose the bag over the first reasonable bump.

Just a quick note to all you new 06 owners that are using LockTite. They now offer the Blue LockTite in a gel form that dispenses from screw-bottom container. It is pricey at about $12. But you waste so little that it winds up being cheaper than the small liquid tubes. And the best part is that it only goes where you put it, not all over your bike and clean gear!

If anyone has a step-by-step for the bags, that'd be great.

for us FNGs that haven't done it before.

Picked up my '06 last Friday in the S.F. Bay Area and picked up the bags today.In the process of installing the bags I discovered:

If you are brand new to the FJR double check re the brackets. I don't know how the '06 bags locate at the bottom, but on earlier models it was possible to install the bags without installing the brackets, and then lose the bag over the first reasonable bump.
I think they integrated that braket with the passenger pegs on the 06... I think! :eh: