SHAD SH50 Top Case GIVI SR57 Mount Mod - RE-POST Caution Pic Heavy & Wordy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhatAir4Me

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
OK I got the message loud and clear! OR Maybe it was the silence that was killing me...
russian_roulette.gif

I spent some time on this write up and had trouble posting pics so I put drop box links in the post, the overwhelming silence was deafening so I pulled my head out and figured it out as far as posting pics.

If someone (moderator or?) wants to delete my previous waste of bandwidth that would be great so people don't waste time looking at it and thinking what a dumba$$.
rtfm.gif

Second attempt...

So I picked up my bike in July and finally spent some time with her today. The wife and I are getting ready for a week long ride thru Southern Oregon and California visiting four National Parks and being consumers we needed more storage! Stuff Stuff Stack it on up!

With three weeks to go I was having trouble finding the top box I had settled on, the Shade SH50 and while reading thread after thread of sub frame nightmares I decided to get the GIVI SR357 mount knowing there might be some fab in store for me. Well the fab turned out to be the easy part, I ordered an SH50 only to be told it was back ordered which seemed to be the situation with the SR357 as well. I found an old thread where Red Fish Hunter had an SH50 from a previous bike that might be gathering dust and we soon worked a deal to give it a new home. I found what seems like the last SR in existence in Canada and were off to the races.

Today I finally got going on this, here are a couple of "before shots"

1-Before.jpg

2-Before.jpg

I mounted the SR357 and I must say I had no problems, everything lined up perfect. I then mounted the Shad SH50 mount to the GIVI rack and much like GixxerJason I was less than impressed.

3-First%252520Try.jpg

The second attempt was better but still the box was swinging in the breeze

4-Second%252520Try.jpg

I finally had the BACK Shad base Plate holes in the FRONT GIVI slots, it was perfect but I had some serious support issues to deal with.

6-Back%252520shad%252520slots%252520in%252520front%252520givi%252520holes.jpg

Luckily the front of the GIVI had a tab that turned up 90 degrees and looked like the perfect place to add some angle, I went with Stainless since I am in restaurant equipment and we have a lot of drop!

7-Perfect%252520location%252520for%252520front%252520support.jpg

I fabbed a couple of brackets to support the front of the rack, it probably would have been great like it was but I'm kind of OCD and I did not like the back of the plate with no support under it. I was going to use some angle but that would have meant seeing the stainless where it turned down underneath the back of the rack, I decided to use some 3/16 aluminum flat plate instead.

8-Front%252520Support%252520Brackets%252520with%252520vertical%252520support%252520holes%252520drilled.jpg

11-Back%252520support%252520plate.jpg

It was time to start getting everything snugged up and dead nutz on spacing, I used grommets or rubber bumpers between the base plate and the rack at all contact points. "all the grommets all the time"

13-Front%252520supports%252520installed.jpg

Everything came together nicely and it was time to screw the plastic Shad top plate to the base plate, when doing this I found that the flat bar under the seat looked like it could rub on the plastics even though GIVI supplied a little strip of "bumper" not impressive. I actually found that the OEM rubber bumper fit on the GIVI rack so I reapplied it to the GIVI.

14-Base%252520plate%252520final.jpg

15-OEM%252520Bumper.jpg

16-Oem%252520bumper%252520on%252520GIVI%252520support.jpg

17-Top%252520Plate%252520Installed.jpg

I think it turned out great even though I had about four hours into it.

18-Boom%252520FINAL.jpg

19-Sano%252520Install.jpg

I was so stoked in fact I dove right into installing the new GIVI 25 Liter tank bag I just got. This was piece O cake compared to the Shad/GIVI conversion and once I slide the bag all the way back on the mount to stay out of the way of the camera and radar detector I again was feeling pretty good about things.
Final results!

20-Farkle%252520%2525232.jpg

21-Happy%252520farkleday.jpg

I changed the oil to really make it feel like a well spent day, of course the crush washer was in backwards... I loved changing the oil on this thing! Great access!

Question to anyone that has one of these 25 liter tank bags, there was a strap on the front of it with a buckle and protective pad to go behind the buckle, no mention is made of this and the only thing I can think is that it is supposed to go around the headset or bars in the event the tank adapter fails and your bags falls off. I got the ring supported bag because the previous owner had a magnetic tank bag which he apparently rolled down a sand dune with before each use! The last thing I need is some "safety strap" flapping around up there, after compounding all the scratch's out. I have one hand on my razor knife now...

Happy Farkleday!

Very Good Stuff.

I am impressed sir, very impressed. I did not realize how much trouble that set up would be, but you pulled it off nicely.

The setup looks great, the black and silver SHAD SH50 complements your black FJR nicely. I have to tell you that it never looked that good on the blue Honda ST1300. I hope it helped that it had a couple coats of my favorite Yamaha Spray Polish and Detailer. I love that stuff.

Of course you were seriously over charged for the SH50, I try to make it a point to price gouge anyone on the forum anytime I get a chance.
no.gif

Just to show you the difference between your FJR and my old, faithful, ST1300:

Thank you sir and I knew I spoke the truth when I told our installer/warehouse/master of all guy when we opened the box and I said man that sum bitch musta polished it right before he dropped it in the box!

Your right it does look better on my bike, I think your old man said it best when you asked him if he wanted one "Oh no, it looks like shit. I like it on your bike though."

I think I made out quite well thank you very much, I think the only one overcharging was the shipper, thanks again for sharing that pain!
smile.png

I thought the strap on the Givi tankbag was a safety strap too. After about a month or so I noticed the strap was marking up the clearkote on the nose of the tank. A Givi rep told me the strap is a shoulder strap for carrying the bag around. I have cut mine off.

Good work on your mounting solution.

-Steve

Just as a bit of background and honesty...

I always kept my Honda clean and polished. I loved, and still love that bike. I was enormously proud of it and it stayed clean and... well, it never was shiny. In spite of countless hours and all sorts of products it always looked dull and dirty.
sadsmiley.gif
The SHAD top box paint looked more like FJR paint and it stayed nice and shiny. I like shiny.

The SHAD mount on the Honda sloped down in the back and sat waaaaay back there, the whole thing looked terrible to me. But, the SHAD latching system is much nicer to me than the Givi. You do NOT have to lock the box every time you close it. I like that.

The SH50 is heavy. Very heavy. With the baseplate it weighed 18.5 pounds on the UPS scale. I was very worried about that extra weight on the weak rear subframe of the FJR. I knew that my friend Gixxerjasen had broken his subframe with a SH50 box.

So, I reluctantly sold it to another FJR owner with all the weight warnings and caution I could use. It was already well polished but yes, I polished it again in perhaps a vain hope of protecting it from shipping abrasions.

I am just happy it went to a good home with an owner who can use it. When that owner gives back to the forum with an excellent "How To" complete with good pics... I am smiling as I type this.

Nice job. I looked at those holes and thought about using them as well, but without the mid plate you had, I ended up going a different direction. Still had to fab up something ugly, but it works and I'm satisfied. Glad to see you got it worked out.

I thought the strap on the Givi tankbag was a safety strap too. After about a month or so I noticed the strap was marking up the clearkote on the nose of the tank. A Givi rep told me the strap is a shoulder strap for carrying the bag around. I have cut mine off.
Good work on your mounting solution.

-Steve
I knew it, those Europeans and their Man Bags!

Don't tell my wife but I really should have listened to her "get the scissors and cut that damn thing off now" Its a 200.00 bag and I'm not going to maim it within 15 minutes of mounting it before I find out if that is for something. "whatever it is for it was not well thought out" God I love her!