Hydration System for Rider and Pillion

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinw

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone designed a bike-mounting hydration system suitable for rider and pillion? All the systems I've seen so far mount where the pillion should be.

We have individual Camelbacks but find them uncomfortable so we don't use them and we definitely don't drink enough when we're riding (yes, we realise that's not a bright thing to do).

Thanks.

Kevin

Thanks but unfortunately not. Two people = more luggage so that's where the top box goes.

I suspect this would be easier to sort out on our GSA than the FJR as something could mount on the back of the aluminium panniers (not that I've ever seen such a 'something' other than the one from Rotopax but that's a water carrying system rather than a hydration system). Given three pieces of luggage on the FJR I've no idea where a system could mount.

Kevin

We have used Camelbacks for several years here in Arizona where of course it is basically mandatory for hydration. Riding by myself I will frequently put the bladder from a Camelback in the tank bag. I guess I don't understand why the passenger would find it uncomfortable to wear one as there are so many variations available now.

It seems that a bag on the tank with two hoses would work...or one hose if you share.

My wife and I just share my camelbak.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems that a bag on the tank with two hoses would work...or one hose if you share.

My wife and I just share my camelbak.
We'd be happy to share but I wonder if I can extend that idea a bit to put the other bag on the top box, that might work.

SWMBO is not here at the moment to ask but I think the issue was there's not a lot of room between her and the top box already so putting the Camelback there made it even tighter (she prefers the 1400GTR as it's much roomier). We were both wearing them before (Kriega Hydro 3s) and it was definitely a bit cramped; they were off before we even made it out of the drive.

Kevin

Has anyone designed a bike-mounting hydration system suitable for rider and pillion? All the systems I've seen so far mount where the pillion should be.
Yep, I have.

It isn't a super-refined and elegant system, but it works *extraordinarily* well, and has demonstrated success carrying two different female pillions through the blazing desert in two different summers, 2010 and 2011 (and, in fact, will be installed when I carry my new girlfriend on some major-league desert-running this summer).

Here is a repeat of the write-up... like I say, not overly pretty, but 100% golden in operational functionality. There are few things in life more pleasurable than being able to take a super-long pull of ice-water while blazing through the desert in triple-digit ambient temps!
bling_cool.gif

For the first time in many years, I need to be concerned about hydration systems for 2 on the FJR. Typically, when riding solo, the hydration system resides on the pillion seat, pillion footpegs, or aft rack.

None of these areas are available while riding 2-up with the Givi top box, obviously.

So we begin now an experiment using the top rack of the Givi V46 topbox to hold a 1.25 gallon Coleman ice cooler! The size of this unit is perfect for this topbox rack. This is the Coleman "FlipLid 6" Personal Cooler... here's the view from the front of the bike:

hydrate1.jpg

Side view.... as I've mentioned previously, I don't really care for placement this high and aft of the rear axle, but there is just no other reasonable position for it. At least the short, relatively squat rectangular container is an excellent size for this application..... not too big, yet still holds a reasonable amount of ice/water:

hydrate2.jpg

I found a killer bulkhead fitting to attach the drinking tube to: this Tru-Value Hardware 90-degree, 5/8" Nylon barbed bulkhead fitting that features a nice stainless steel area washing to squash a 5/8" O-ring (just visible under washer):

bulkheadfitting.jpg

Below, you can see how the upper part of the tube is zip-tied to the rack right at the barbed quick-disconnect (allowing me to just carry the cooler into the gas stop to replenish ice/water), and then again to a zip-tie keeper lower on the Givi lid. This ensures that this crucial aft section of the drinking tube remains securely in place (and doesn't "tug" on the bulkhead fitting) while underway at speed:

rt_side.jpg

Here is the critical piece of the puzzle: creating a leak-free water pick-up line. A short section of 3/8" tubing is a perfect soft "press-fit" into the bulkhead fitting opening, sealed with clear silicone. The business end of the pickup tube is affixed with a brass fitting to provide weight, sinking the end of the tube to the bottom of the cooler:

pickuplinefitting.jpg

Below is the final installation. Two black 1" nylon strapping retains the cooler just fine at interstate speeds. A classic Camelback insulated line (with covered bite valve) is connected to the aft clear vinyl tubing. Since the bite valve is going to be passed back and forth between Lisa and I while underway, it won't be connected to the usual janitor's key lanyard.

This setup is untried and untested, but with 2 days left before departure, we will press this Hydration System into service just as is....

finalnstall.jpg

Departing for the "Wild Wild West!" rally in 48 hours... this will be about a 2000 mile desert run, all two-up. I'll post up how this Hydration System worked when we get back....

2-year follow-up: As mentioned previously, this system may look like moist ass to some members, but after carrying females through the burning desert for two years now, there is absolutely no denying its demonstrated functionality. This setup has been awesome in every respect operationally, and has proven invaluable when carrying a pillion long-distances in the extreme heat.

It's going to be pressed into service again one week from today, when I take her down to the Cal24 rally in northern Nevada...
bling_cool.gif

I don't care what it looks like as long as it works. That's probably a bit OTT for riding around Europe where there aren't too many deserts but I can see something very similar to that being mounted on our GSA when we're in the US next year. Thanks for sharing the idea.

Kevin

If you can tolerate a set of drilled holes thru the saddlebags, I think I can fab up a 1/2 gal. jug holder that would mount on the rear of the bags and stay below the top of the rack.

Has anyone just considered wearing a "Camelbak"? They are not thick enough to be a problem and it gives your pillion an extra hand hold.

Oops, after re-reading I see the Camelbak has come up.

Here's a CAD mockup of a bracket assembly that would mount onto the rear of a saddlebag. A pair of small 1/4" screws should be enough to hold it to the bag. I would include plugs for the bag holes when it's not mounted. You could add a second straw hole and tube assy.

PillionJugSetuo.jpg

A couple of options spring to mind.

1.) I have a rack on my Givi top case. If you have a rack you could strap the camelbacks onto the rack. You could then buy tubing long enough to reach forward (perhaps along the bottom of the seat held by zip ties?) for each of you to have your own drink tube/hydration unit.

2.) There are a number of FJR owners who travel 2-up and use the top of their side cases to mount camping gear (tents, etc.) using bungee buddies. That might work as an alternative to mounting on the top case and keeping the camelbacks below the drink tube tip so they wouldn't seep.

I have a simple 1/2 gallon jug with an insulating cover (poked a hole in the lid and ran a hose down inside) on it that I strap to the passenger peg on my BMWs. I went to the garage last night and it would hang very nicely from the grab rail on my FJR. It hangs behind the saddle bags, and next to the tail assembly. I will get another jug so I will have one on each side of the tailpiece for riding with SWMBO.

If you want to go on the cheap. My wife and I use a 120oz. camelback in an insulated pack. We freeze the bladder the night before and use a bunge net to set it on the givi rack.I've added a longer hose with a clip that my wife uses to keep it cliped to her coat, we pass it back and forth. This gives us cold water for most of the day.

Here's a CAD mockup of a bracket assembly that would mount onto the rear of a saddlebag. A pair of small 1/4" screws should be enough to hold it to the bag. I would include plugs for the bag holes when it's not mounted. You could add a second straw hole and tube assy.

PillionJugSetuo.jpg
Garauld built a pair of these for me in time for my trip to NAFO this year. Here's what they look like installed on my '05:

RearRightQtr.jpg

They've been working out really great, and should be just the thing for our return trip via Phoenix. Garauld's workmanship, as always, is of very high quality.

Also that after market luggage rack (and backrest) in the picture is also a product of Garauld's handiwork, which I bought from him several years ago.

Garauld built a pair of these for me in time for my trip to NAFO this year. Here's what they look like installed on my '05:

RearRightQtr.jpg

They've been working out really great, and should be just the thing for our return trip via Phoenix. Garauld's workmanship, as always, is of very high quality.
[nods] Yes I was talking to him about one (I hadn't considered two but that's a good idea) for us but he said he has no plans to make any more for a while as they are very intricate and the fabrication time is too long.

I'm going to see if I can get someone local to make something similar but I'm struggling to find a fabricator. I was pleased to see the jugs are available in the UK via Amazon as I thought I'd have to ship those as well.

Kevin