hydraulic preload adjuster on shock

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you have hydraulic preload adjustment on your Ohlins. Penske, etc?

• Total voters

pista

Reaction score
Getting ready to order a shock. Since my wife wants to occasionally go on some rides, I'm considering getting one with the hydraulic preload adjustment.

I'm 270, my wife is 150.

How important is it to change the preload when she rides with me?

Last edited by a moderator:
No question, get the remote preload adjuster. Yes you should adjust preload when adding a pillion. If you dont adjust preload when adding her on the back, then you are completely changing the bikes geometry. The bike will turn in much slower if the back is sagging. If you go from 1up to 2up fairly often it's a no-brainer to have a quick adjustment of preload.

Get the preload option, otherwise you need to set up your suspension in between solo and fully loaded.

<snip>...occasionally go on some rides
Key word from the OP is highlighted. Adjusting the spring preload [on a Penske] isn't that big a deal, figure 10 - 15 minutes after you do it once.

YMMV

--G

First and foremost, acknowledge that the adjustments need to happen, whether their easy or not. then decide how much work you want to put in. My first BIG two up ride with my wife resulted in a nightmare first few minutes.. I stopped in my insurance agents office to get an insurance card and bottomed out on a speed bump. I am 215, shes is 170. A simple flip of the switch didn't do it, but 4 more clicks as well did the trick.

I have remote preload on my GSA Elka shock and use it all the time. The best thing about the hydraulic preload is that it's repeatable; no preload for 1 up, 2-3 clicks for normal touring load, max preload for two up. Manually adjusting the preload on that bike would be very difficult - the shock is pretty much inaccessible.

I don't have it on my FJR (Penske doesn't offer it). It is pretty easy to adjust preload on the Penske with the tool provided but the jury is still out as to how much I will miss it. I think going back an forth from 1 to 2 up will be a bit more trouble.

I also don't have it on my DR650. Elka offers one but since I always ride that bike one up, I didn't bother with it.

BTW, I'm trying to figure out a reliable way to mark the preload ring on the Penske (to switch from one up to two up) when I get it properly set up. Anyone have a suggestion?