I am so stupid

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackStar

Reaction score
Oh and muzzy's sucks. I have so really screwed myself.

I have a planned 3 day ride this weekend. So I see that Dennis Kirk has a set of Muzzy titanium slip ons, on clearance. Great I'll get them and have them on in time for the ride. You guys know where I'm going don't you. I get them today (Wed) and the instructions say I need new gaskets. OK Iv'e re-used exhaust gaskets before. If they leak a little, I'll get new ones later. Riiiiight Well, I can tell you from experience they are glued in the stock exhaust, and attempting to remove them, destroys them. So now I can't even re-install the stock muffler. Its Wed night and of course nobody has them.

I think I have dorked myself out of a good long 3 day ride this weekend.

What I have found so far is that two brothers uses a slip joint with no gasket, holeshots say they come with new gaskets. I think I should have gone with one of them.

OK go ahead and laugh at the village idiot. I closed up the shop before I smashed something I would regret later.

So, what does it sound like if you just put the stock mufflers on without the gaskets? Or maybe even the Muzzys without the gaskets? I'll guess that the stock cans with no gaskets won't be louder than the Muzzy's with gaskets.

Or maybe use a couple layers of aluminum tape to replace the gaskets temporarily.

Last edited by a moderator:
I made mine out of some high temp gasket material. Just cut it in a strip and wrap it around the pipe to get the length.

JB Weld when cold....20 mile ride to get a firm "set".

Exact same procedure worked on these turbo-motor pistons:

Piston4.jpg

I'm back on the road with the stock exhausts. I was able to find some new gaskets. Leaving for the trip Saturday morning.

Back to the Muzzys. I could not get the left side to fit right. It appears that the last bend in the mid-pipe where it slides into the muffler is bent too far. Causes the left muffler to angle back towards the centerline of the bike, not clearing the final drive unit. Looks like I may have issues with the centerstand as well. Tried rotating the mid-pipe all around to find the sweet spot, no luck yet. Iv'e been around Bikes, Quads, Cars for > 30yrs and this has to be one of the worst fitting exhausts out of the box I've come across. When I get back from the trip I'll try fiddling with it again, If I can't get it, I'll call Muzzys, If no satisfaction there, I'll return them.

So far I aint impressed.

Nice repair work there Howie.

A) Was this an effort to reduce compression on a turboized non-turbo engine

or

B) the results of a broken timing belt and shade tree mechanicing

or

C) preparation for resale of a Katrina orphan ?

Dooood I've got headers made out of dryer exhaust tubing that'll mate right up to that motor! It's gonna run 10's!

Nice repair work there Howie.
A) Was this an effort to reduce compression on a turboized non-turbo engine

or

B) the results of a broken timing belt and shade tree mechanicing

or

C) preparation for resale of a Katrina orphan ?
hey, just fair warning, watch how you use that bitch's name around me :rolleyes:

let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'

Holy Shit!

... and to think that only yesterday I was teasing one of my buddies about his pistons. He cut 'em 3D CNC and did a nice job. Still, I was able to find a little flaw in his programs path. A totally meaningless imperfection that no-one will ever see and impossible for most people to spot. What are Friends for?

I'm going to have to print this picture and add a caption for my buddy. Thanks Howie!

The good thing is you saved your 3 day ride.Now, go ride, enjoy, and deal with BS later.

:rolleyes:
Installed A set of Two Brows carbon fiber cans on my 08 FJR.Went on easy, looks great ,sounds great. I love em.

The good thing is you saved your 3 day ride.Now, go ride, enjoy, and deal with BS later.

Installed A set of Two Brows carbon fiber cans on my 08 FJR.Went on easy, looks great ,sounds great. I love em.

Oh and muzzy's sucks. I have so really screwed myself.I have a planned 3 day ride this weekend. So I see that Dennis Kirk has a set of Muzzy titanium slip ons, on clearance. Great I'll get them and have them on in time for the ride. You guys know where I'm going don't you. I get them today (Wed) and the instructions say I need new gaskets. OK Iv'e re-used exhaust gaskets before. If they leak a little, I'll get new ones later. Riiiiight Well, I can tell you from experience they are glued in the stock exhaust, and attempting to remove them, destroys them. So now I can't even re-install the stock muffler. Its Wed night and of course nobody has them.

I think I have dorked myself out of a good long 3 day ride this weekend.

What I have found so far is that two brothers uses a slip joint with no gasket, holeshots say they come with new gaskets. I think I should have gone with one of them.

OK go ahead and laugh at the village idiot. I closed up the shop before I smashed something I would regret later.
Installed A set of Two Brows carbon fiber stacks on my 08 FJR.Installed easy,looks good,sounds great,I love em.

Installed A set of Two Brows carbon fiber stacks on my 08 FJR.Installed easy,looks good,sounds great,I love em.

Guess them boys in Bahstahn have a one-track mind! :)

Just got back about 4Hrs ago. GREAT RIDE, about 1100 miles Rode up to Manistee, MI then followed the Lake Michigan coast up to Mackinaw. Now I can get back to getting these Muzzys to fit right, if that is possible.

Did somebody say something about Two Brothers???? I may end up with those if I cant get these to fit right.