I bow down before the Great Satan

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toecutter

What would DoG do?
Reaction score
Finally caved and picked up some Super Tech oil filters. The lame sticker peels off nicely, to leave an almost plain black can behind.

Except for some lettering on the end. What does that say?

IMG_1027.jpg

"Product of USA"

Who'da thunk?

I detest Walmart. Truly. I can't go in that store without the desire to smash my cart into everyone in my way. The store is fine. It's the people who shop there that drive me batty. Purchased a oil drain pan there for the FJR and an occasional headlight bulb for cars. Walmart causes HTN.

Super Tech filters made by Champion Labs which has manufacturing facilities in IL, York, SC, and China. Owned by STP a ways back.

Their rep is their filter media more contaminants better than Purolator and some other name brands.

And yes, it IS exciting to find something in Wal-Mart other than local milk that was made in the USA.

But wait, it says "Product" of USA and they have a manufacturing facility in China.... hmmm-m-m-m :glare:

Last edited by a moderator:
I detest Walmart. Truly. I can't go in that store without the desire to smash my cart into everyone in my way. The store is fine. It's the people who shop there that drive me batty. Purchased a oil drain pan there for the FJR and an occasional headlight bulb for cars. Walmart causes HTN.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: WalMarts in the States are like our Tim Hortons up here............They're everywhere, and they drive me nuts.

I got a made in the USA haircut at Walmart, however the cutter only spoke Spanish. A word of warning, apparently in Spanish 'give me a trim' means use the electric clipper and cut off all my hair and then charge me $15.

The silver lineing, my helmet hair has never looked less disturbed.

Is it just me, or is it always about 5- 10 degrees above comfortable in all the Wallys? I still believe...... if they aren't hell, they are a not so distant relative of it. :diablo:

I gladly pay more to shop elsewhere. :grin:

Funny.... I thought Disneyland was the great satan...

That lettering on your filter is the mark of the beast!

I rarely shop at Wal-Mart (no real reason just not convenient) but I do buy my Super tech's there.

I like Wal-Mart, I just wish the wife liked it less. :dribble:

I put the Super Tec filters on anything that'll take one.

You just need to know the store floor plan so you can navigate through the place quickly and then use a self checkout line.

If I felt "the desire to smash my cart into everyone in my way." there'd be something wrong with me that I'd need to take a look at. :unsure:

WalMart has saved millions of customers billions of dollars. Much more efficent than any program yet conceived or executed by the government.

Hard to understand why anyone would be negative about WalMart. If it's beneath you to mix with the masses don't go there in your BMW, Volvo or Prius. Pay a bit more somewhere else so you can puff out your chest and boost your self-esteem

WalMart has saved millions of customers billions of dollars. Much more efficent than any program yet conceived or executed by the government.
Hard to understand why anyone would be negative about WalMart. If it's beneath you to mix with the masses don't go there in your BMW, Volvo or Prius. Pay a bit more somewhere else so you can puff out your chest and boost your self-esteem

CM,

A lot of people are confused about what makes Walmart the "Satan's Asshole", as we sometimes call it around here. And yes, I sometimes do shop there. It has absolutely not got anything to do with their clientele. Yes, the upper crust society do not tend to gravitate to S.A., but that doesn't bother me in the least.

What (should) give some people reason to dislike Walmart is their ruthless marketing strategies and tactics. They currently utilize our free economy like nobody ever has before. They have gained such a wholesale advantage due to their overwhelming size and volume that they can dictate ridiculous terms to their vendor suppliers. They also like to plop a store into an area and then down price everything to the point that they can drive all the local businesses into bankruptcy.

The problem with that scenario should be obvious. Do you really want them to be the only option available?

Local sales outlets can successfully compete with WalMart but not in generic commodity type products where the customer doesn't need on-site assistance.

The local vendor has to offer value not available at WalMart.

The local vendors have to specialize away from commodities into more unique and specialized products where the customer sees additional value.

WalMart is superb at delivering commodities at low prices. But they've not performed nearly as well when they've tried to expand their product line beyond commodities.

The replacement tire business would seem to be a home run for WalMart. Yet local tire vendors often thrive next door to WalMarts. But tires aren't toothpaste or groceries.

WalMart is a juggernaut but it's not unbeatable.

Local sales outlets can successfully compete with WalMart but not in generic commodity type products where the customer doesn't need on-site assistance.
I'm no WallyWorld hater...I shop there all the time...but I can cite two personal anecdotes that totally contradict this statement:

1) My dear, departed father-in-law was the local "Singer Man". Sold and serviced Singer sewing machine for 40 years. Finally had to throw in the towel when the Walmart a mile away from his family-run shop began selling the exact same model sewing machines he was selling for less money than he could buy them wholesale.

2) My sister-in-law's husband ran a bicycle shop. Same deal. Walmart selling the exact same models of bikes retail for less than he could buy them wholesale.

Is it Walmart's fault? Hell no. It was the Singer company's fault for overcharging their independent dealers for exactly the same product. Same with the bikes.

Who is the loser? The customer....'cause now there's no Singer dealer within 100 miles to fix the broken sewing machines that were bought at Walmart. But service alone wasn't gonna keep mya F-I-L's doors open.

Sewing machines and bicycles are NOT "generic commodity type products."

HOWEVER, if you REALLY want to hate the clientele, go shopping at a Walmart "SuperCenter" at 3am in the morning. All the stories you ever heard about zombies are true. :D

I like Wal-mart. I do not shop there alot or anything, but I really don't care if they undercut everyone else and drive the local businesses into bankruptcy...because that is WHY I go there...to save money. Selfish but true, I don't like spending money I don't have to. And if those other stores can't compete, then they need to move on anyway.

When I do go I buy whatever Supertech filters they have on hand (seems they only stock a few at a time) My only complaint about them is my local store expanded into a "super center" and it seems like a mile from one end to the other now.

I have actualy considered using one of their electric "scooter" carts just so I don't have to walk so damn much, but as they seem to have alot of handicap folks shopping there , I just can't do it. (They have alot of handicap folks working there too...)

I scored a pretty nice cover for my bike there, and a seemingly rare pair of Bell motorcycle gloves.

Wal-mart , like Microsoft , may not seem to "play fair" , but you have to give them credit for what they have accomplished.

Caveat emptor

KM