i cheated death

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really, really glad this story has a relatively happy ending. Your hand will heal, as will your confidence.

Many years ago I was passing alongside a semi when one of the tires began delaminating. I managed to avoid the chunks, got the driver's attention and he pulled over immediately.

Since that day I stay well away from the big rigs, whether I'm riding or driving the cage. I pass 'em quick, or stay waaaay the hell back!

Former commercial driver here... That's some scary stuff! Good thing luck was on your side and you were able to ride away! It's too bad you couldn't get any information on the truck.
I tend to not waste any time around big rigs if I can help it...too many potentials.
+1 I've heard several stories of the re-tread tires on big rigs coming apart catastrophically (and seen hundreds of tire carcasses along the freeways), along with the nasty pressure waves, road spray (water and other bits), etc.... that I stay away from the rigs religiously.

Wow! Really glad to hear you came through this incident as fortunate as you have. Hopefully no lasting damage to your hand.

Often somebody will do a "photo assist" after somebody posts just links to them like Dean did.

Geez, I hope NOBODY DOES THAT on this thread! Kinda sorry I looked myself. I gets a little queasy . . . Be advised, folks.

I really hope you can track that hit and run asshole down, myself.

Good on Ya !!! Karmically you're a wizard man ! I've been hit by lots of "road gators" over the years...one piece bore 10 holes in me right thigh with the steel bits and stuck until i stopped...its getting so much worse these last few years....nafta bonus i guess....Trucks are the Devil we Tryst with...stay healthy !

Blessed, ( but not as much as you !
smile.png
),

Bobby

Former commercial driver here... That's some scary stuff! Good thing luck was on your side and you were able to ride away! It's too bad you couldn't get any information on the truck.
I tend to not waste any time around big rigs if I can help it...too many potentials.
+1 I've heard several stories of the re-tread tires on big rigs coming apart catastrophically (and seen hundreds of tire carcasses along the freeways), along with the nasty pressure waves, road spray (water and other bits), etc.... that I stay away from the rigs religiously.
I am with these guys I dont spend any time I dont have to next to those big guys.Glad it wasnt worse than it was,bet you had to clean your shorts. Heal up quick!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! I so glad you ok Dean. It is getting very dangerous out there for us motorcyclist. So many distracted drivers today. again I'm so glad you only suffered minor injuries.
thx EN (i assume that's you?). see you at the ECSFJ rally?
Yes you are correct it is EN. I would love to finally get to another ECSR but work is really busy in May. I could possibly take a long weekend but we will have to see what happens.

Wow! I'm blown away thank God for the out come and perish the thought of the alternative. I've read somewhere and subscribe myself to the philosophy that you should ride like every car and truck on the road is out to kill you.
uhoh.gif

Glad to hear things weren't worse than they are. Keeping control during the entire episode and the aftermath is to be commended.

Glad to see you getting mended. Obviously still very swollen. Wait 'til that goes down before buying new gloves
rolleyes.gif

And, very glad it was no worse.

In my youth, I once got myself trapped between a truck and its trailer. (I was even more stupid then.) It does wonders for your powers of concentration, and no good at all for your personal hygiene.

Promise us you won't play tag with big rigs again.

Good job handling a tough situation. It could have been a lot worse. I like your advice about calling 911 and staying right there. The first thing that goes in an incident like that is our good judgement about what to do next.