I crashed with slow wits and slow speed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here is a quick summary from the email I sent my brother -- details and some pics later. I was looking for more dams for the damtour 2009 and snagged one and looking for Owyee on the Idoaho boarder. The locals said "It 's the only way to the dam." Three guys at the head of the trail to the dam said "That bike should make it." Half way up the mud path it got steeper and I turned around. On the way down I had one last puddle to avoid... yup, I didn't. The letter follws:

"Hi Leo,

Sorry I haven't been in contact. I did a dumb thing and crashed slow speed in a muddy puddle Sunday about 11:00. The bike was rideable. The only major damage to me appears to be the brake pedal punched a hole in my shin (figures it's about the only place I have no armored gear), causing a lot of pain and swelling. I almost passed out trying to get on and off the bike; so I only got off twice to fill the gas tank between Owyee (on the Idaho border) and Roseburg. Resting today with meds. because there is (was?) a danger of something called encapsulation from blood pooling too much in your leg it can cut off blood flow -- a bad thing. I tweaked my back a little too (nothing new) so I'm not moving much, and when I do, I move it's slow and short distances.

So I'm letting you know, and I'll be in touch with more details soon. Bottom line is I should heal up fairly soon if I do it right, but I'm not sure about the bike. I should heal before our trip in July/August to Montana, but I'm not sure if I'll be riding the bike, riding a car or can't go because of cash problems. The bike's left bag has a lot of rash, but the right one had a nick anyway, and I might get them painted, leave them for this year or replace them because they smell like gasoline inside even after two months (my spare bottles were filled too high and in 105 Los Angeles Highway heat the pressure release valves went off, spraying everything). The left mirror sheared off, and the brake pedal bent badly against my shin (my bones are stronger than think aluminum!). The left lower fairing bolt that holds it in place is missing -- I duct taped it for the ride home. The cases are good and I rode it 600 miles without a hiccup, so no oil loss or really nasty stuff. Everything is muddy of course. My custom earbuds with speaker I just bought a few months ago got the wires ripped out when I flew off the bike into the puddle. (That's another long and stupid story about why I was on a dirt track on a 600 pund street motorcycle in the middlw of nowhere). A lot of my riding gear has blood, mud or other stuff on it as my tankbag flew off the tank and landed in the puddle, or wason me when I landed in the 2 foot deep muck Some will be washable, some thrown out and need replacing eventually.

I feel better today. I'm going to have a mechanic look a the bike tosee if there is hidden damage, like the underframe of the fairings on these bikes tend to bend when they land on the mirrors -- BIG bucks.

But my racing crash guards saved the really expensive plastic. The left can looks ok at first glance (before my leg became a pain time bomb I gassed up and looked the bike over pretty well. Thank god for duct tape -- it lasted until the last 100 miles of the ride, so I hope the lower fairing didn't flap in the breeze too much and crack.

If I replaced everything it would be 1-2K as I'm thinking, but if I get some parts used (mirror for example) and live with some ugly but usable parts until I can replace them, I figure I won't have to go to the insurance company, AND still make the trip.

Bottom line, I screwed up because of poor planning, poor judgement and lousy riding skills for the situation.

I'll let you know as soon as I do.

How have you been doing?

Michael"

If I replaced everything it would be 1-2K as I'm thinking, but if I get some parts used (mirror for example) and live with some ugly but usable parts until I can replace them, I figure I won't have to go to the insurance company, AND still make the trip.
Bottom line, I screwed up because of poor planning, poor judgement and lousy riding skills for the situation.

Michael
Michael -

Oh no! :eek:

Sorry to hear about your mishap, was looking forward to seeing you in Moscow.

Can you use a slightly scratched set of FZ1 mirrors that usually fit a Gen I?

Let me know and I'll send 'em.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shiney ~

Well, that just sucks! While it is always painful to hear of one of us screwing up and doing some damage to ourselves and our bikes, I'm sure glad that it wasn't worse! That was a long ride home with the pain in your leg...

Hope there isn't any hidden damage to the bike.

Main thing is to follow the Doc's suggestions and get that leg healed up... the rest will come in due time.

Don

Sorry to hear about your mishap. I'm going to be down getting that Dam next Monday. What's the story with the access to getting the picture? I'm not wanting to ride on a muddy road.

Take care,

Dave

PS. Cheaper to have someone paint instead of replace. Trust me I know.

Michael
Michael -

Oh no! :eek:

Sorry to hear about your mishap, was looking forward to seeing you in Moscow.

Can you use a slightly scratched set of FZ1 mirrors that usually fit a Gen I?

Let me know and I'll send 'em.

Thanks George, but Gen I mirrors won't fit II's I think. You have a big heart... I may now have time to write up that ride report to San Diego when we had breakfast... lol. I think the bags will be the big expense, unless the fairing underparts are too tweaked. I think I'll make it to Moscow though, one way or another. If Skooter could crash on his way to NAFO last year and show up in duct tape, I can get to Moscow.

shoot, take good care of ya good sef and you'll be in the saddle in no time

same for me, I have a set of Gen I stock mirrors, but I guess that won't hep ya

the bike will be OK in the end

Cheers,

Mike in Nawlins'

My GPS and Google said over a gravel hill was the way to get to

the dam... the sign says go away...

125.jpg

Sad... On the way back down no less.

126.jpg

Three tries to pick up PussyKat out of the mud; a bitch with

no traction in the mud. Glad I had Bates Boots with agressive

sole pattern (stayed dry too).

127.jpg

Left front fairing and mirror ahnging by a thread of plastic.

Sliders did their job and nothing else scratched up front

as far as I can see

128.jpg

Left bag is ugly. Can looks ok, but I'll have to wash the bike to know.

129.jpg

I didn't notice the hex head bolt missing from the lower fairing then, but it may have already been gone after I changed my oil 1500 miles ago -- maybe worked loose at some point if I didn't tighten it. All my other gear worked well. I didn't take a shot of the brake pedal almost touching the block because I had put the camera away and wasn't up to it. I bent it back a bit as I could just get a finger between the metal of the pedal and the engine. Later I couldn't move my foot to use the brake, but it worked initally so I could finsih the last 100 yards or so of gravel. Ticked me a bit that it was easy going after this last puddle. I just lost concentration long enough to avoid sliding the rear tire. The whole ride up the hill the rear tire was squirrely but manageable. FJR doesn't translate to KLR I guess.

Michael,

Sorry to hear about your mishap. If you want. I have a slightly bruised left mirror from an 07 that you can have. There are slight scratches from resting the bike on the ground at a stand still :) hey, I was tired :)

Sorry to hear about your mishap. I'm going to be down getting that Dam next Monday. What's the story with the access to getting the picture? I'm not wanting to ride on a muddy road.

Take care,

Dave

I didn't plan well enough. I got the word from the wife I had time enough to try a trip and winged it. I relied on locals to tell me this was the only way to get a picture of the dam. And I was STUPID, STUPID, STUPID. I didn't account for the horrendous thunder and lightning storms the night before with torential sheets of water; I didn't listen to my gut warning me not to try the trail, and I didn't turn around soon enough. I was prideful and wanted to get the dam no matter what, and thought I could ride the gravel and continued as it peetered out to mud on a grade. I can count on one hand how much riding I've done in loose conditions, and I should have made a smarter judgement about my skills. Some people grew up riding dirt bikes, not me. Also, so what if I miss an Oregon dam? I could have gotten it on the way to WFO... BUT NOOOOOOO! I had a plan to grab the last 6 in Oregon and I was going to stick by the plan dag gummit!

Take care,

Dave

I didn't plan well enough. I got the word from the wife I had time enough to try a trip and winged it. I relied on locals to tell me this was the only way to get a picture of the dam. And I was STUPID, STUPID, STUPID. I didn't account for the horrendous thunder and lightning storms the night before with torential sheets of water; I didn't listen to my gut warning me not to try the trail, and I didn't turn around soon enough. I was prideful and wanted to get the dam no matter what, and thought I could ride the gravel and continued as it peetered out to mud on a grade. I can count on one hand how much riding I've done in loose conditions, and I should have made a smarter judgement about my skills. Some people grew up riding dirt bikes, not me. Also, so what if I miss an Oregon dam? I could have gotten it on the way to WFO... BUT NOOOOOOO! I had a plan to grab the last 6 in Oregon and I was going to stick by the plant dag gummit!
So is there a paved road to get to the dam? :) ... I sure hope so.

What a guy, protecting his Feejer with his body! :yahoo:

See, it's all in the spin!

126.jpg

Dang Shiny, that's a borderline WABS ride. Don't be too self critical. You might have made it and got the picture, but now you have an ADVENTURE! :blink:

Take care,

Dave

I didn't plan well enough. I got the word from the wife I had time enough to try a trip and winged it. I relied on locals to tell me this was the only way to get a picture of the dam. And I was STUPID, STUPID, STUPID. I didn't account for the horrendous thunder and lightning storms the night before with torential sheets of water; I didn't listen to my gut warning me not to try the trail, and I didn't turn around soon enough. I was prideful and wanted to get the dam no matter what, and thought I could ride the gravel and continued as it peetered out to mud on a grade. I can count on one hand how much riding I've done in loose conditions, and I should have made a smarter judgement about my skills. Some people grew up riding dirt bikes, not me. Also, so what if I miss an Oregon dam? I could have gotten it on the way to WFO... BUT NOOOOOOO! I had a plan to grab the last 6 in Oregon and I was going to stick by the plan dag gummit!
So is there a paved road to get to the dam? :) ... I sure hope so.
Obviously I haven't a clue ;-) I suggest you do what I didn't do and check out the ride reports on the dam tour website. Five or six guys have all 20 dams, and the first to finish was on an FJR... so I guarantee one guy knows a better way. If I had taken the proper time to plan the trip, this may not have happened. Hope you learn from my mishap.

And to all, thanks for te condolences and offers of parts and help. I posted this to perhaps help others. But I appreciate all the good words and wishes.

What a guy, protecting his Feejer with his body! :yahoo: See, it's all in the spin!....

Dang Shiny, that's a borderline WABS ride. Don't be too self critical. You might have made it and got the picture, but now you have an ADVENTURE! :blink:

Thanks for the chuckle Don. That part of the trail was pretty flat and near the beginning. You should have seen the grade I made it through up and back... I was wishing for a WABS as my ass puckered a few times.

Funny you should say that aboutan adventure. When I got home my wife said she was sorry I had a horrible time. And I answered truthfully that I had an adventure and that was why I ride. It wasn't the one I wanted, but it made me feel alive anyway. I considered finishing the dam tour, but decided my leg was throbbing a bit and I could feel blood trickling down my leg so I decided to cut it short (Just as well as an hour later I couldn't lift or move my leg without extreme pain). So I took Route 20 to 97 to 138 home. Fairly boring I know, but it was the route I took in 1995 in my truck, when I came from New England to live in Oregon. I was extremely impressed at the time with the "exotic" high desert and red rock landscape, as well as the now familiar wild river North Umpqua; at the time I promised myself I would ride it on a motorcycle someday. So I made lemonade by riding the route and fulfilling one of my bucket items.

You ever decide to sell WABS I want to know.... That damn hill is now on my bucket list. LOL