I had a dunderhead incident early this morning...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We used to ride up on a buddy and pull his key out. :lol:

Stopped doing the kill switch when a buddy launched his baffle and missed another guy's head by 6"! :D :eek:

I had a recent run-in with the kill-switch minutes after installing my new fuse block and relay. Nothing quite like the feeling of cutting into your electrical system and then the bike not fire up... luckily I figured it out in about 30 seconds of sheer panic

The electrical wizards say the key switch is bound to have a tiny arc each time the switch is cycled and it's best to use the kill switch before the ignition is turned off, and after it's turned on. The ignition switch would be protected from any electrical surges.
After hearing all of the problems with the ignition switch on the FJR1300, I'm suprised I haven't seen someone mention this before in this forum.

In at least one thread here someone actually mentions jiggling the ignition switch to clean the contacts. The contacts get "dirty" possibly because there is a slight arc when the circuit is interrupted with the key switch. Even though the switch is probably mostly just turning on relays, there's still current interupted (by the ignition switch) when you use the key.

I happen to be one of those MSF instructors who teaches people to use the kill switch. I can't tell you how many times I've had stubborn students complain that there was something wrong with their bike and the problem turns out to be they weren't following the process that we teach (to shut down/start up).

The electrical wizards say the key switch is bound to have a tiny arc each time the switch is cycled and it's best to use the kill switch before the ignition is turned off, and after it's turned on. The ignition switch would be protected from any electrical surges.
After hearing all of the problems with the ignition switch on the FJR1300, I'm suprised I haven't seen someone mention this before in this forum.

In at least one thread here someone actually mentions jiggling the ignition switch to clean the contacts. The contacts get "dirty" possibly because there is a slight arc when the circuit is interrupted with the key switch. Even though the switch is probably mostly just turning on relays, there's still current interupted (by the ignition switch) when you use the key.

I happen to be one of those MSF instructors who teaches people to use the kill switch. I can't tell you how many times I've had stubborn students complain that there was something wrong with their bike and the problem turns out to be they weren't following the process that we teach (to shut down/start up).
that's fine...

first, the defective ignition switch problem is bad solder joints and design, nothing to do with using or not using the kill switch

the ig switch is gonna fail or not fail either way...no cause/effect

it's good to know how to use the kill switch - in an emergency

however, too many folks use the kill switch and just walk away, not doing the second step of turning off the key. Two steps, double the mistake possibility, and easier to kill the battery. An more than not, in modern motorcycles, the swipers in the key switch wear out just as much from the mechanical wearing without electricity being present.

there's no right or wrong here IMHO

Last edited by a moderator: