I hate FatNakedGuy!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rogue

Reaction score
I just want to say Rick is EVIL! When it comes to spending my money he is worse than Warchild! :blink:

When my camera died I considered upgrading to an SLR so I PMed a couple of forum members about cameras. One was FatNakedGuy………

Well Rick was evil enough to verify that I really wanted an SLR and not a point&shoot. He then, through PMs & phone calls, went over with me what I would be using it for and suggested that I would out grow the Canon Rebel XTi ($600.00 range with one lens) and I needed to go to a camera shop and compare it to the Canon 40D ($1,400 range with one lens).

Well to make a short story long I ordered the $1,400 Canon 40D.

He also gave me links to editing software.

Rick, I HATE YOU! :D

Oh,

And thanks! ……………… I think. :sicksmiley02:

I’ll be calling you with a lot more questions when I get my new toy. ;)

Those group buys have cost my wife quite a bit of coin!!

And Doug, that is so funny you say that! Right after you and I talked, my wife who was sitting in the background and heard most everything said... "you sure enjoy spending other people's money don't you"

haha!

Seriously though, your passion for photography echoes my passion and I believe you did the right thing in upgrading. Looking forward to seeing your shots and call anytime!

transparency scanners.... transferring slides to digital, correct? I haven't personally had experience with that medium but will google and educate myself. Anything in particular you are looking for? (I love spending others $$, remember?)

Outgrow the Xti? Do you do professional photo work?

You know you need lenses for that thing now, right? The camera body is just the beginning!

transparency scanners.... transferring slides to digital, correct? I haven't personally had experience with that medium but will google and educate myself. Anything in particular you are looking for? (I love spending others $$, remember?)
I have a gajillion negatives and I want to preserve them in a digital format, and a few boxes of slides too. I would like the files to be of decent enough quality so any re-prints done from them would be clear and sharp, up to say a 8x10 size at most. I am certainly not going to be making posters of baby pics...*L*

Also, my dad is 88 and not well and he has a lifetime of pictures, mostly black and white, that I would like to copy for each of us kids, and some for our kids.

I am not sure if the quality of the transparency scanners that are part of a regular scanner would be sufficient enough to preserve the quality of the original photo, or if there would be real value in purchasing a dedicated transparancy scanner and a photo scanner separately.

Any advice you could lend in this regard would be most appreciated.

*goes to check if my Mastercard has melted yet, in preparation for your answer*

Thanks, barb

Sort of off topic here... but there's a lot to be said for composition, color, texture, rule of thirds, etc. that a lot of folks with the understanding of these things could produce some killer pics w/o spending the big bucks. At least, that's what I tell my cheap ass self. :D

I had done film for so long... it sure is a lot cheaper to shoot a gazillion digital shots w/o having to pay for them. I'll spring for a digital SLR when I can afford it. My old Cannon AE1 is a bit long in the tooth.

I'm thinkin..... put the camera on full-auto exposure, hold down that button thingy, and rattle off 8 frames a second til the card fills up.. You're bound to get SOMETHING you like! (that's how I shoot anyway... no thought to it... just click as fast as you can and pray) :)

I'm thinkin..... put the camera on full-auto exposure, hold down that button thingy, and rattle off 8 frames a second til the card fills up.. You're bound to get SOMETHING you like! (that's how I shoot anyway... no thought to it... just click as fast as you can and pray) :)

I can do that!

We call it spray and pray :D

We call it spray and pray :D

COUNTERSTRIKE!! (anyone play?)

I have a gajillion negatives and I want to preserve them in a digital format, and a few boxes of slides too. I would like the files to be of decent enough quality so any re-prints done from them would be clear and sharp, up to say a 8x10 size at most. I am certainly not going to be making posters of baby pics...*L*

Also, my dad is 88 and not well and he has a lifetime of pictures, mostly black and white, that I would like to copy for each of us kids, and some for our kids.

I am not sure if the quality of the transparency scanners that are part of a regular scanner would be sufficient enough to preserve the quality of the original photo, or if there would be real value in purchasing a dedicated transparancy scanner and a photo scanner separately.

Thanks, barb
My HP Scanjet 5500c has a transparency adapter for slides and negatives. You'll need to know how to do some color correction in Photoshop or something. My scanner always seems a little purplish in slides, and bluish on negatives. The thing your REALLY have to watch out for is dust. There's a coupla speck on the last picture below. Also, be selective, don't try to get EVERYTHING. It's very time-consuming!!!!

These are scanned slides:

chewaclatreezv9.jpg

lilypadsatstateparkwd8.jpg

surffishingatsunsetkq0.jpg

johnwaterskiingpz7.jpg

About the pics: All but the last were taken with a manual-exposure folding rangefinder camera. The lily pad shot was from my first roll of 35mm film!!! The sunset is probably too dark, but I haven't played with it. The last was actually a mistake on a borrowed SLR, forgot it was aperture-priority and mis-set it. Nice accident, but only frame on the day I could actually use.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks, barb

You plby want a dedicated slide scanner... been a while since I looked, so not sure anymore

a cheap way to do the b&w photos ( and color, too) is to use a good quality digital camera on a tripod, set on macro, and just take pics of the pics. that seems to work pretty well.

At least it will give you something...

the slides and negs are a whole nuther story...

anyway, have fun

mary

I just want to say Rick is EVIL! When it comes to spending my money he is worse than Warchild! :blink: When my camera died I considered upgrading to an SLR so I PMed a couple of forum members about cameras. One was FatNakedGuy………

Well Rick was evil enough to verify that I really wanted an SLR and not a point&shoot. He then, through PMs & phone calls, went over with me what I would be using it for and suggested that I would out grow the Canon Rebel XTi ($600.00 range with one lens) and I needed to go to a camera shop and compare it to the Canon 40D ($1,400 range with one lens).

Well to make a short story long I ordered the $1,400 Canon 40D.

He also gave me links to editing software.

Rick, I HATE YOU! :D

Oh,

And thanks! ……………… I think. :sicksmiley02:

I’ll be calling you with a lot more questions when I get my new toy. ;)

Once you go SLR/DSLR there is no turning back. Compared to financing the camera and motorcycle stuff, my wife is the best bargain I've ever gotten! Soon enough you will get a case of the "I wants". "I want" this lens,"I want" that flash, and so on.

Good luck w/ your endeavours into the realm of "absolute control" photography. Don't forget that a camera is like a gun ,in that the more you "shoot" the better you become and your wants/needs for your niche will become readily apparent.

Frustration is your teacher more than your enemy. It taught me more about success through failure than anything I've ever encountered, including my airbrushes!

I have 2 SLR's 2 DSLRS,10 lenses, 2 tripods, 1monopod,3 bags, 2 flashes(ordering another soon) and a crapload of filters,cleaners,batteries and film/memory cards. You're only on the tip of the iceberg.

I've just thought of another thing for digitizing slides. My dad had a macro closeup stand for his camera which attached to the lens. It had a platform that you put on the table, you placed you subject (coin, stamp, icky bug) on the platform and fired away. He put a clip on it to hold a slide and a diffusor screen on the back side of it. To use you point it at the bright sky and click the shutter.

My HP Scanjet 5500c has a transparency adapter for slides and negatives. You'll need to know how to do some color correction in Photoshop or something. My scanner always seems a little purplish in slides, and bluish on negatives. The thing your REALLY have to watch out for is dust. There's a coupla speck on the last picture below. Also, be selective, don't try to get EVERYTHING. It's very time-consuming!!!!
About the pics: All but the last were taken with a manual-exposure folding rangefinder camera. The lily pad shot was from my first roll of 35mm film!!! The sunset is probably too dark, but I haven't played with it. The last was actually a mistake on a borrowed SLR, forgot it was aperture-priority and mis-set it. Nice accident, but only frame on the day I could actually use.
How long does it take to scan one slide??

Those pics are awesome! I have to admit to having a tree/autumn colours fetish. I love that 1st shot!!!

Thanks for the info and for sharing.

barb