I paid my now former dealer...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan23

Reaction score
Quite a while ago I paid my dealer to do the following: Fork oil change, new spark plugs, valve check/adjust.

Yesterday, I removed the tank and heat shield to change the spark plugs and replace the CCT (Cam Chain Tensioner). What I found is that not a single fastener-- for the plumbing atop the engine or the valve cover-- had ANY indication a wrench had ever been on them!! So, in other words, they most likely did NOT perform the work I paid for. To me, that is a never-buy-from-this-shop-again as well as a let-others-know event.

It was clear that the fork caps did see a wrench, but who knows whether the fluid was actually changed? Maybe that's why the forks needed rebuilding, which I did last week with an assist from an independent shop. My guess is that the spark plugs were actually changed because I had to go back for a fastener the tech left out of the left body panel. Actually, I had to go back twice because they had to order the part-- which they handed to me to install myself. It also calls into question whether the valves should now be checked... totally screws up any possibility of keeping accurate maintenance records... fouling up the possibility of using accurate maintenance records as a tool to sell the bike when I decide to.

As for Yamaha the brand, I was considering the purchase of a new FJR, but why should I if they don't keep better tabs on their dealers?

Previously, I went to this dealer to talk to them about changing the CCT, but the service writer kept me standing at the counter for about five minutes after going "Yoohoo, anyone here?". I didn't know there was anyone back there until one of the mechanics came into the area and revealed the service writer was actually hiding behind some office equipment talking on the phone to someone he was schmoozing... apparently about some suspension adjustments to a dirt bike. I continued to wait another five minutes until I told my wife, "Ok, he's got three minutes." I spoke loudly enough for the service writer to hear me. When the three minutes were up, I walked out. Once I was in my car, I was so pissed, I called the dealership and got their voice-mail run around, leaving an irritated but rational message about my experience. Never a response from them.

And that is how it came to be that I would change the CCT myself and found the truth. My standard operating procedure is to hire work out if I can have it done competently, or if not, then it's DIY.

https://www.pioneermotorsport.com/

I've made it my personal policy to be very selective about complaining on the internet about businesses. Too often customers fly off the handle and are unreasonable, ranting on the net. This is only my second complaint about a business. Mistakes happen, but this is different. IMO, there is no use returning to them to make it right because there's no way I trust them. Feel free to set a trap to expose these people.

Previously, I complained about WheelWarehouse, a wheel source and straightener in Dayton, OH who kept my wheels for three months after promising a three day turn around. Ultimately, work that was promised for about $250 cost me over $900 including the fees to hire a lawyer and working with the Ohio State Attorney General's office.

I never forsake a brand (because of a dealer; they are independent contractors). I hope this letter was just an adjunct to the letters you sent to the dealer (involved) and probably another sent to Yamaha. If you feel better venting (here), okay, but we only have your side of the story. I hope you find resolution; good luck.

When I get treated like the above, I usually go out in backyard, stick my head in a hole and get a friend to pound sand in my ass. I know that it is my own damn fault. You got to get on the A team Dude. Just bought a 013 from a dealer I had never done business with before and the owner put the s.o.b. together for me at a bargain price. He did better than I could have done.

Interesting? This past spring I attended a Tech meet at Auburn'sFJR in Auburn Washington. I was interested in doing my own valve check and cam chain tensioner replacement. I also took the opportunity to remove the pair system and install block off plates! This would be my third valve check which was probably a little early by the mileage indicated but the chance to do it myself was what I was looking for. Over the period of ownership of this bike I have changed spark plugs a few times as well as other home maintenance tasks, but I always felt that even though the dealer had been asked to do a valve check twice I didn't see evidence of the valve cover being removed? Moving on to my first valve check with the help of others at Bryan's Tech day one fellow who was helping me felt in his opinion that the valve cover bolts had been removed before based on the tension it took him to turn them out? His experience far outweighed mine so I have to believe he is correct! It was only my suspicious nature that made me feel like the work hadn't been done by the dealer and I now believe I was wrong. By the way while doing the check I filled out a sheet indicating where each valve was with respect to specification and I think it would eliminate some of your and my concern had the dealer done something similar! My opinion!

For the types that worry that the light in the fridge doesn't go off when the door closes... Ask to get back all parts that are being replaced. Mark hardware with a small dot of fingernail polish that bridges the hardware head to the adjacent surface. To get a better indication if someone actually opened the valve cover, mark the radiator cap and fill bottle cap. They can't remove the valve cover without replacing radiator juice. It will give the service area a clue that you are watching, and it will make it harder to spoof the owner than actually doing the work in most cases. And, while you are at it, write down the mileage when you drop off the bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an extremely hard time leaving my bike with ANYONE. The dealer I purchased my 09 from went out of business, when the owner died breaking some land speed records in the Salt Flats.

The new dealership seems to be dirtbike oriented, and forced me to make an appointment 10 days in advance to check out a shifting issue I was having and a weeping swingarm. It took them 3 days to finally LOOK at the bike.

Their assessment - Nothing wrong, and a warning that it would not be covered by my extended warranty because these are "wear" parts.

The weeping - "normal.All seals weep some oil."

The Shifting - nothing they could find. (they put less than .2 miles on it )

I took her home, shifted horribly the whole way home. Took out a wrench and adjusted the shift linkage to raise the shifter to the top of the range (THANKS SKOOTERG!) And the bike is as good as new. If I had a tire changing set up at home. I don't think I'd need a shop at all, except for some Major internal Engine damage.

Let's take a step back and remember a couple things here. We've known like forever that there are dealers out there that have a bad track record. It's a good thing - to know who and where they are. To that end, thanks for posting. Do dealers change? Yes. Mechanics come and go. One bad mech can indeed cause problems. However, the big dog, the service manager, is a different story. They don't come and go so often. Typically, the big dog oversees the quality of the work going out the door. Everything still rises and falls on leadership. It's not written in stone that a "bad" dealer will always be this way, but it's a good educated guess... and by the same judgement, a good dealer typically will continue to be such.

However, one constant: doing it yourself insures that it will be done carefully, and typically... right; especially (as needed) under the watchful eye of a buddy who's been there done that. The aid of the pics and info from this forum is invaluable and can indeed take most of the risk out of nearly every maintenance project... part of the reason I bought an FJR in the first place. My opinion: even the backyard mechanic is likely to do a better job than a dealer with most things just because he's going to be seriously careful with his "baby." That care, and the extra time available to do it... makes all the difference.

Gary

darksider #44

..My opinion: even the backyard mechanic is likely to do a better job than a dealer with most things just because he's going to be seriously careful with his "baby."
Unlike the mechanic, you are not on the clock and your task isn't being gauged 'by shop time'. You also don't have a work backlog sitting in the parking lot with agitated owners calling you to find out when you are going to get off you lazy butt and get MY motorcycle worked on. Hurry, but do a good job too. If the end of the day approaches you can walk away until tomorrow and still sleep at night and not lose money. Nor do you have a shit storm of activity going on around you while you are trying to work (unless you are at the tech day in Owosso, MI today).

It is very obvious whether a bolt has actually been removed and replaced since leaving the factory.

I'm not going to write letters to the factory. I have better things to do with my time than navigating someone's run-around. My reason for posting is to flag a warning. Someone posted how to mark things to be sure. Good ideas, but I am sure. As I said, I "hire work out if I can have it done competently, or if not, then it's DIY," for a reason. I personally do not have time to set a trap. Someone else may feel taking this on would provide some fun while doing others a favor.

I am not seeking any sort of resolution. I have it: now I know and this post/thread. I appreciate your comments!!!!

Yes, the mechanic could be the problem. When I removed the spark plugs, I could turn them with very little resistance. IOWs they were all but loose. But that does not excuse the service writer. And I since was told that disinterest in customers is SOP there.

Interesting? This past spring I attended a Tech meet at Auburn'sFJR in Auburn Washington. I was interested in doing my own valve check and cam chain tensioner replacement. I also took the opportunity to remove the pair system and install block off plates! This would be my third valve check which was probably a little early by the mileage indicated but the chance to do it myself was what I was looking for. Over the period of ownership of this bike I have changed spark plugs a few times as well as other home maintenance tasks, but I always felt that even though the dealer had been asked to do a valve check twice I didn't see evidence of the valve cover being removed? Moving on to my first valve check with the help of others at Bryan's Tech day one fellow who was helping me felt in his opinion that the valve cover bolts had been removed before based on the tension it took him to turn them out? His experience far outweighed mine so I have to believe he is correct! It was only my suspicious nature that made me feel like the work hadn't been done by the dealer and I now believe I was wrong. By the way while doing the check I filled out a sheet indicating where each valve was with respect to specification and I think it would eliminate some of your and my concern had the dealer done something similar! My opinion!
I think I was the helper involved and my opinion was based on the ease that the valve cover gasket separated from the engine head. I expected it to be welded on but it just popped off and didn't stick anywhere, I just didn't think it could be that easy to break loose and remove if it had been attached to the engine head for over 50K miles.

I did a valve check this spring on my fjr, and the bolt heads don't look like they've been removed. If you have a fairly new and high-quality 6 point socket it doesn't really make much of a mark on most low-torque bolts.

I think I was the helper involved and my opinion was based on the ease that the valve cover gasket separated from the engine head. I expected it to be welded on but it just popped off and didn't stick anywhere, I just didn't think it could be that easy to break loose and remove if it had been attached to the engine head for over 50K miles.
Yes it was you, and I'm sorry but I couldn't remember your name? You and others were so helpful that day I'm afraid I don't remember many names! I will take this time to Thank-you, again for all your help and hope to meet again, perhaps at Bryan's Spring Tech day if he has one. Of course if you're ever up this way Vernon, B.C. you will have a place to stay and a meal to go with it.

It is very obvious whether a bolt has actually been removed and replaced since leaving the factory.
Really? I am a fairly experienced mechanic (my plan was to go pro at one point) and I don't know this "obvious" visual method of determination.

I think that perhaps you have a bit of an axe to grind over the poor attention you got, and maybe are over-thinking this one just a bit.

Relax. Your bike will be fine. Most don't require valve adjustments for 75k miles or so. Do your own service from now on and you can take it out on the inept mechanic all you want!
wink.png

I am not seeking any sort of resolution. I have it: now I know and this post/thread. I appreciate your comments!!!!
Yes, the mechanic could be the problem. When I removed the spark plugs, I could turn them with very little resistance. IOWs they were all but loose. But that does not excuse the service writer. And I since was told that disinterest in customers is SOP there.
So you had a nice rant, but nothing will happen to make the situation better. Go ahead and bookmark this thread for your next rant about whatever next dealer does something you don't like- because if nobody ever complains up the chain, nothing will ever get fixed.