"I want you to enjoy your bike."

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope warmer and drier days are coming very soon, both literally and figuratively speaking.

Start planning a spring tour on the bike. It's what she wants you to do. You can take her spirit with you if you'd like. But do not forget the camera....

Last edited by a moderator:
Snowdrops.

Can anyone please explain why there are more snowdrops out in our garden than I've ever seen before, now that she's no longer here to see them?

It hurts.
I could try... but I will refrain.

I would advise you to try very hard to alter your perspective on this. Rather than look to the negative side of this and feeling the pain of that, try, try, try hard to see the bright side of the flowers. Perhaps there are things happening that you cannot and should not try to explain. Do keep an open mind.

I'd like to think she is still looking after her garden. And she is looking after you too.

Keep Riding and please keep writing.

... I would advise you to try very hard to alter your perspective on this. Rather than look to the negative side of this and feeling the pain of that, try, try, try hard to see the bright side of the flowers. Perhaps there are things happening that you cannot and should not try to explain. Do keep an open mind.
I'd like to think she is still looking after her garden. And she is looking after you too.

Keep Riding and please keep writing.
I'm afraid these thoughts are not deliberate in any way. What happened was that, when I saw them, my immediate thought was "Oh, she will like those", the same thought that I would always have had. Then, of course, the thought changed to "No, she can't".

No conscious input to those thoughts, and I'm sorry, it did make me emotional. And I'm getting a bit emotional just writing this.

Maybe I'm not as strong-willed as others, but what I will say is that my reactions to such triggers are much less severe than they used to be, this after some 9 months.

And I know she's not looking after the garden, it's far too untidy (though doesn't look too bad at the moment, covered as it is with a layer of snow - with the snowdrops peeking through
rolleyes.gif
).

At least I'm now missing my bike, at my dealer's for its first service, with an icy barrier (my road) meaning I won't be able to get it back for some days!

Please stop apologizing for being emotional. Please don't be "sorry", you should be emotional.

You would have to be a "sorry" person to not have these feelings.

Stay with us and let us cry with you. I won't say I enjoy it but I am proud to be a part of it.

One year on.

Well, nearly one year since she went. 4:57 on Sunday morning will be the anniversary. I would have written this then, but I shall be on my way to Spain for a motorcycling trip, not back until Tuesday week.

They say that time heals. Maybe it does, but one year isn't enough. There are still days when I am consumed by grief, though these are becoming less frequent. My memories of her continue to dominate my thoughts. Not really surprising, she has dominated my thoughts for fifty-odd years. At the moment I can't conceive of not thinking about her, nor do I want to not think about her.

The good news: life continues, the world still spins on its axis, the house is still standing, the garden is under some sort of control. Son, daughter and grandkids are all healthy, though they still miss her. The grandchildren are far more resilient than adults in this regard, most of the time they are far too busy to think of her, which is right and proper, though occasionally they remember - "I do miss granny" - which usually ends with their mother (and their grandfather) trying to suppress tears.

Over her last few years, wifey was getting very concerned about growing old. She'd had two replacement hips and a knee, arthritis was beginning to affect all her joints, she was very worried that she wouldn't be able to keep her garden nice, nor to continue with her hobby of (quite phenomenal) needlework. She was probably even more worried about the possibilities of dementia, she'd had several aunts who'd had Alzheimer's. She also feared being unable to look after herself and needing carers, though she was very happy to be a full-time carer for her father and for her mother as their health deteriorated. She's always been very self-reliant (though always had plenty of jobs for me to do).

The one comfort I can take is that now she will never grow old, there is no possibility of her joints getting worse, of her suffering from dementia, nor for her needing to be cared for.

Probably of no interest to a bunch of macho motorcyclists, however ... one of her last projects, a very impractical "Sewer's friend", completed with just a few months to spare.

(Click on image for larger view, full size shows some of the intricacy)

The bird (a wren?) has a thimble held in its back, there's a pin-cushion in front, scissors tucked into a holder, and a tape measure comes out of the base. Totally unusable, just a test of sewing skills. It's currently displayed with another couple of her pieces in a cabinet.

Needless to say, photos don't do any of them justice.

I hope this comes across in the right way but I just - enjoyed? - reading your last post. There's a sort of peacefulness in your words which made me smile. After following along this past year (a year - wow!) it was nice to read. I truly hope this upcoming trip goes perfect for you. That "Sewer's friend" btw is an absolutely gorgeous piece.

The "Sewer's friend" is incredible! That is a piece that anyone should be proud to display and definitely a family heirloom if there ever was such a thing.

I too have followed this thread from the start and shed more than a few tears as I accompanied you and the rest of this forum on this journey. I've felt some of your highs and definitely the pain of your lows. I hope the trip to Spain is a pleasant one full of lots of good times and lots of good memories to be made. Someday should our paths ever cross I'd love to buy you a drink and just sit and talk with you.

Ride safe my as yet unmet friend!

The "Sewer's friend" is incredible! That is a piece that anyone should be proud to display and definitely a family heirloom if there ever was such a thing.
I too have followed this thread from the start and shed more than a few tears as I accompanied you and the rest of this forum on this journey. I've felt some of your highs and definitely the pain of your lows. I hope the trip to Spain is a pleasant one full of lots of good times and lots of good memories to be made. Someday should our paths ever cross I'd love to buy you a drink and just sit and talk with you.

Ride safe my as yet unmet friend!
+1

I can't improve on that post.

She was quite the talented artist. That piece is beautiful.

Reading about your family brings me joy as I'm quite sure it does for you. I think about grandkids now and then, even though for now, I have none. Even though we are separated by a large pond, in spirit we are not that far apart, my friend.

I will be thinking of you next week, hoping you are "enjoying your bike", honoring her wish, and living your own dreams.

Hey Mcatrophy, hold on tight to those great memories my friend! In the dark days, great memories are what sustain us and keep us forging on, when the pain of loss is telling us to just crawl into a shell.

Love, live, experience things and press on in spite of the loss. The entire Forum is here to uphold and support you, even though we have never met.

Take care,

Brian the biknflyfisher

Hey Mac, I hope this reads OK. The 'sewers' friend.. I was thinking like, you know, a sewer? Where poop goes? Pretty happy to click and find it wasn't that! I was thinking, 'that ain't like mac!'

I hope your ride is excellent my friend and it's good to hear that, even if slowly, healing is happening..

Don

Today would have been our 49th wedding anniversary. I wouldn't have posted this, except for the dream I had last night. Actually, a nightmare.

Remembering a dream is very rare for me, even remembering that I've dreamt. However ...

She had left me. Not died, just left.
I was sitting at a meal table.
One of the grey entities sitting there said to me "You don't seem very upset".
My reply was "I am very ..."

I awoke before I could complete the sentence.

Doesn't sound much, but believe me, that short encounter left me feeling dreadful.

Never mind, this evening I shall toast her with a glass of her favourite wine.

"Time doesn't always heal, but it may help you to get used to the pain." - mcatrophy, 2018.

Many of us have lived the dream you recounted. Not sure if it hurts worse or hurts less.

There may not be an identifiable finish to your dreamy statement. Too many emotions, and conflicting perspectives on "How does that make you feel?" Ironic, isn't it, that the world turns to the British for cliches about strength: stiff upper lip; keep calm and carry on; chin up.

I also will drink a toast this evening: to you and your wife.