I want your opinion on these backrests

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well after 3 long months and numerious changes I feel that I have a product that will really serve its purpose well. Some of you may know that the idea for these backrests started when I purshased my 07 fjr. my wife wanted to ride but comfort and the inability to "sit back and relax" kept her from riding. So I started the long process of creating these backrest/luggage racks. I have pretty much finalized them but would like to have your opinion on them. Please follow the link to the ebay listing. .....I wish I could just post the photos here! Thanks you guys for your feed back.

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...729871&rd=1

Looks very comfy!

a8a5_2.jpg

looks nice but the backrest does need to be behind the end of the passenger seat. Better to give the passenger (hence the rider) more room, not less.

Even better if the backrest had some fore/aft adjustment for we picky sporttouring types.

Steve

Nice looking for sure but as stated earlier, it reduces the rear seating area. It needs (for my wife) to be mounted further back.

BTW, my wife's 5'4" 125lbs. and she uses all of the back seat.

Good Luck.

It would seem like it takes up rear seat room, However, when my wife is ridingshe is able to completly lean back. She says there is at least 4 inches of space between us. she is 5'-7" 115lbs

100_2297.jpg

It would seem like it takes up rear seat room, However, when my wife is ridingshe is able to completly lean back. She says there is at least 4 inches of space between us. she is 5'-7" 115lbs

I don't think the average passenger is going to be 5'7" and 115lbs but I sure would like to find one that size.

The backpad was designed to give lumbar support, which it does. If you draw a line straight down from the thickest part of the pad, yes it would be about 3 1/2". However this is not where the passengers butt would be. They would be sitting back a couple of inches behind that, because of the contour of a persons back while in the sitting position. Also the pad has some give in it , about 3/4"-1". My wife and I rode 1600 miles in 4 days and it was very comfortable for both of us. With out a backrest the passenger is usally jammed right up against the driver holding on. This backrest eliminates that. Now your passenger can relax, look around, and not worry about the next time you may hammer the throttle unexpectedly.

The backpad was designed to give lumbar support, which it does. If you draw a line straight down from the thickest part of the pad, yes it would be about 3 1/2". However this is not where the passengers butt would be. They would be sitting back a couple of inches behind that, because of the contour of a persons back while in the sitting position. Also the pad has some give in it , about 3/4"-1". My wife and I rode 1600 miles in 4 days and it was very comfortable for both of us.
Even if what you describe about having one's butt under the backrest to provide lumbar support is correct (and I don't think it is) what you have described is reducing the usable portion of the seat by at least 2 inches. As far as it being a good universal fit, you are not getting the message. The average woman in this country is now a size 14, I would guess your wife is a size 2-4. Put a 5' 6" passenger that weighs 150-160 lbs on back, ride 400 miles, and then tell us how comfortable is was for both of you.

that's the problem with most backrests - they force the passenger forward and into the driver. Even though its only and inch or two it does make a difference.

Smitty's Garaulds backrests do not do that - at least on the '05s it didn't.

My bad - corrected name..

Last edited by a moderator:
that's the problem with most backrests - they force the passenger forward and into the driver. Even though its only and inch or two it does make a difference.
Smitty's backrests do not do that - at least on the '05s it didn't.
Smitty??? Are you sure??

...Or do you mean Garauld?