IBR shakedown

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Go Far

mmmm- shiny!
Reaction score
Shaking it down for the IBR last week....

Full fuel cell after a ride and lo and behold, I smell gas! Narrowed it down to a weeping weld! Argh! Off to the welder to have all welds redone.

Then, out on a eastern Nevada loop on Sunday without the cell.

-lost a schuberth visor retainer disc at speed. Off with the visor and continue on. (IBR shakedown afterall)

-CB antenna sheared off and was flapping in the wind. It was VERY gusty.

-and, tuesday, I'm doing a practice rear tire change and THERE IS OIL UNDER THE FINAL DRIVE! A fresh drop at the weep hole and a spoogy final drive.

FD is pulled and I'm off to the dealer ASAP

A little stress practice is good, right?

:eek:

Aren't you glad you had all these issues before heading to Seattle? Even still, I'm sure the Marriott parking lot will look like a NASCAR pit on Saturday and Sunday.

Hope you get everything worked out and tested this week so you can get out for one more shakedown run.

See you at the start!

Shaking it down for the IBR last week....

Full fuel cell after a ride and lo and behold, I smell gas! Narrowed it down to a weeping weld! Argh! Off to the welder to have all welds redone.

Then, out on a eastern Nevada loop on Sunday without the cell.

-lost a schuberth visor retainer disc at speed. Off with the visor and continue on. (IBR shakedown afterall)

-CB antenna sheared off and was flapping in the wind. It was VERY gusty.

-and, tuesday, I'm doing a practice rear tire change and THERE IS OIL UNDER THE FINAL DRIVE! A fresh drop at the weep hole and a spoogy final drive.

FD is pulled and I'm off to the dealer ASAP

A little stress practice is good, right?

:eek:
Stress practice? I don't think that's what the shakedown was for :p

It's good you found these troubles now though but FD trouble :huh: That you didn't need.

Oh, how I do miss this fun!

Last IBR I had to swap the final drive from FJR#2 to FJR#1 due to a leaking seal. I took FJR#1's final drive in about a 10 days before I left for the IBR to have a seal replaced, but apparently the previous time I had that done at another dealer they messed something up. A new nut had to be ordered and of course it was on 'backorder' and was sent via the 'slow boat from Japan'.

Sometimes it really comes in handy having a 'spare' FJR in the garage.

A 'weeping' fuel cell. Yikes.

Good luck Dick.

ah yes...welding a fueltank sounds...well...scary

if the CB antenna was J&M, both my broken antennas a year apart were replaced by John Lazzaroni, owner, free of charge

with merely an email and pic of the busted staff

when I read the thread title, I didn't realize this was a personal/bike shakedown instead of a Rally itself shakedown

I wondered if they had outlawed CT's as the shakedown
pot.gif

Got the FD in to the dealer 5 minutes after they opened ;)

Just got a call, Yamaha has the part on backorder and they expect it will be available in August :blink: :blink:

So, my dealer kept calling around 'till he found one..... In BC! So barring any customs SNAFU's should be here Monday.

Tech Inspection starts in TEN DAYS..... aren't you a Thrillseeker, doing a shakedown this close to Showtime!! :nono:

Just JB Weld the seeping tank.... with your current luck, your shit will explode if you take a welding torch to it! :lol: I have 2 such JB Weld repairs on my aux cell; it's been leak free since the last repair about 45,000 miles ago.

pot.gif
Trust me... believe me... this is being discussed. With 10 days remaining, it's a bit late to enforce the rule for this year's event.

But come the 2013 event..... might be a different story. B)

Last edited by a moderator:
Tech Inspection starts in TEN DAYS..... aren't you a Thrillseeker, doing a shakedown this close to Showtime!! :nono:

Just JB Weld the seeping tank.... with your current luck, your shit will explode if you take a welding torch to it! :lol: I have 2 such JB Weld repairs on my aux cell; it's been leak free since the last repair about 45,000 miles ago.

pot.gif
Trust me... believe me... this is being discussed. With 10 days remaining, it's a bit late to enforce the rule for this year's event.

But come the 2013 event..... might be a different story. B)
Yeah I know better! But, the bike has 80k on it and this is the first time there has been any oil at the weep hole! I have done the JB Weld before but got a local guy to redo all the welds for 75 bucks.

OK- i'm drawing a blank... Ct's? :huh:

OK- i'm drawing a blank... Ct's? :huh:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Apparently that boy don't get out of Park City, UT very often!
Or get online enuf :p
Ok, I read the thread... 111 pages :blink: (Well, the last 2 pages :lol: )

You guys need to get out more! :p :rolleyes:

Here's my quiver

One for the FD when it gets back from the shop,

and one in the box for shipping to the JAX checkpoint. ;)

IMG_0322.jpg

Here's my quiver

IMG_0322.jpg

Most definitely the CORRECT way to proceed for the Iron Butt Rally... not surprising that a veteran knows this, however.

Like with Doug (who is now wise enough to run proper PR2's during the event), Dick Peek doesn't having to worry about cracked rims during the Iron Butt Rally... :thumbsupsmiley:

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget to scrub those bad boys in! We don't want any tipovers on the way out of the JAX parking lot. :eek:

IMG_0322.jpg