Ice chest that fits well in side FJR bag?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeames

Reaction score
Does anyone know of an ice chest the will fit in the FJR side bags? Mine is a 2012, I’m not sure if there is much difference between the years. 
I’m trying to find the biggest ice chest I can fit inside one of the side boxes. 
i though of using the cloth style coolers, but they often leak and will allow anything soft like a sandwich to get smashed. 
Makes and models would fantastic!

Thanks!

Coleman, soft cooler, but with a plastic insert Will hold a 16 cans. Got it at a local mercantile store.

91727522_216750222726765_2978715465095839744_o.jpg

Retired guy here, so consider the source maybe . . .

I'd be tempted to install flat Polyiso foam board insulation plates inside all faces of one of the FJR pannier fabric liner bags.  The front (outer) pannier face is slightly rounded, so that piece of foam gets cut to size and formed into the lid by main force (fist pressure).   You may want one or two layers of the foam, depending on expected performance.  Spray-on 3-M art adhesive will hold each panel of the foam in place inside the bag.  Connect the edges of the foam inside the bag with a strong fabric tape, maybe 3M 8959 Scotch Cross Weave Filament Tape or even duct tape.  A 4' x 8' (1.2m x 2.4m) sheet of Polyiso foam, 1/2" (12mm) thick retails for ~US$15.  Polyiso foam is the highest R-value foam that I know in pre-made sheets, foil-lined, in retail sizes.  Your "cooler" will still be an ordinary pannier bag, when it is not keeping things cold.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/R-Matte-Rmax-R-Matte-Plus-3-1-2-in-x-4-ft-x-8-ft-R-3-2-Polyisocyanurate-Rigid-Foam-Insulation-Board-754404/100572981

:coolsmiley02:    

Been looking at a Soft Pack 8 also. Nice product. We have some tumblers from RTIC that we are really happy with too. 
Definitely spendy, but not terrible compared to several similar constructed coolers. 
The Coleman is though too. 
Thanks all!

The side case is watertight. I know this because I packed mine with a bag of ice and a watermelon a while back. After riding for several hours I pulled it, placed it on its back and opened it up. The melon was nicely chilled and there was standing ice melted water floating the ice. The case was dry in the outside when I removed it. Use ziplock bags to keep your food dry, it makes a nice big ice chest, with its weight carried low and forward. 

Brodie

🥶

I have that issue on occasion myself!

Thank you!
My son has been taking your cooler??

Ok, so I should've known better.  We all know how the inside of Yamaha's side cases are much smaller than they look from the outside.  Below is the Flip 12 so maybe the Flip 8 might work?  :unknw:

20200802-150156-1.jpg

20200802-150207-1.jpg