If You Could Reinvent The FJR What Would You Change?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoCalFJR1300

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I've had my beautiful black 2008 FJR for a little over a year now.

Was just thinking if there's a few things I could change what would they be?

1. For me probably a half fairing instead of a whole one I think would be interesting.

I actually like seeing more of an engine, and you'd still get wind protection with a full windscreen.

Also less plastic to take off when servicing.

2. One other thing would be a little less weight, which would automatically be accomplished somewhat with a half fairing.

3. The power of the FJR is pretty good but I wouldn't mind about 145 at the rear wheel instead of the about 125 that we have currently.

4. One more...a FULL wet clutch instead of the "splash" clutch that we have, would keep the plates cooler.

That's about it for me, so far I think the FJR has been the best bike I've ever owned, a great "all arounder" and comfy to ride at a reasonable price.

So, what would you change if you could??

Last edited by a moderator:
6 speed. Couldn't resist.

I really liked the full fairing for LD work crossing Nevada or wide open areas where the wind will blow.

Sounds like you need a FZ1 in the stable. Open it up to breathe and you have 145 ponies at the rear, half fairing and at least 100 lb lighter.

6 speed. Couldn't resist.
I really liked the full fairing for LD work crossing Nevada or wide open areas where the wind will blow.

Sounds like you need a FZ1 in the stable. Open it up to breathe and you have 145 ponies at the rear, half fairing and at least 100 lb lighter.
I wouldn't want a 6th speed, you'd be shifting more often and 5th is an overdrive gear, just sayin.

FZ? Naw, cuz I'd miss the comfort of the FJR.

I've already had a ZRX1200 and a Bandit1250 which are similar riding positions of a FZ......If I ever got a FZ1 it would be the first gen as I like the low end torque which the second gen doesn't have. (I rode one)

Change the speedometer (ref. Gen2). To have a speedometer that goes to 180 mph is a little silly. If possible, my speedometer design wouldn't "peg". Take it 90... then back 0 and light up a "10" next it. Then put a "1" next to each subsequent number.

Yeah a digital speedo would be more practical. But I just thought my idea would be cool because I've never seen it before. Most of us run up to the triple digits occasionally. But there's still about 40% of the gauge not used.

Other than that, Redesign the saddlebags for more storage.

I like the modular purchase approach to buy the bike. Like cars used to be. Some want/like linked brakes, some don't. ABS? Yay or Nay! Maybe someone doesn't want saddlebags on the FJR... ((shrug)) To be able to customize a bike more than the heated grips, seat thickness etc... options that some manufacturers have would be really neat.

However. Not gonna happen. At that point, the Dealer Showroom starts offering manicures, free lattes and popcorn while you "shop"....
mda.gif
This thread just seemed more of a "fantasy" thread for the FJR.
angel.gif

My changes would be more subtle. I'm in that camp that would really like to have a 6 speed, lower rpms on the slab for improved fuel economy. More conventional battery location, put it under the seat like most of the rest of the bikes. Some way of having 12v in the top box as soon as you install it, like the new Triumph Trophy. Redesign top box and rear subframe for more capacity and less breakage. Offer color options each year, not just one color per year. In this regard, I like how Harley Davidson markets their bikes.

My changes would be more subtle. I'm in that camp that would really like to have a 6 speed, lower rpms on the slab for improved fuel economy. More conventional battery location, put it under the seat like most of the rest of the bikes. Some way of having 12v in the top box as soon as you install it, like the new Triumph Trophy. Redesign top box and rear subframe for more capacity and less breakage. Offer color options each year, not just one color per year. In this regard, I like how Harley Davidson markets their bikes.
Battery location is a good one,and at least 2 color options would be nice, heck it's only paint!

I think the FJR is pretty good as it is and the refinements introduced with the Gen III would just about do it for me (I will likely find a gently used Gen III in a couple of years unless the Gen IV becomes the "perfect" tourer). Having said that, there are a few things that would please me...

A few more HP - too much is just barely enough.

Better wind/weather protection - I have tried three different shields and haven't found the sweet spot yet but I wouldn't want a cockpit redesign to look like the Goldwing or the BMW tourers.

Better stock seat - still using the OEM for over 100,000 miles but even a small improvement would be nice.

Beefier subframe might be a good idea although I haven't had any problems (yet).

Needs to be taller (for me). At 6'3", the ergos are not ideal and I could use a little more seat-to-peg room; especially as the knees and hips age.

Wouldn't take much to have wiring harness extensions in place at the factory level for auxiliary power for extra lights, heated gear, topbox power etc. While they are at it, put a real horn on the thing.

Improved factory suspension - does the ES cover that?

I don't care about colors and don't have a problem with stock mirrors, headlights, brakes etc. I'm OK with range on a tank of fuel and maintenance intervals are pretty good. Overall, I really like the appearance and performance of the FJR and it is likely that I will continue with the brand. Best bang for the buck out there.

I'm thinking more dramatic changes:

• V4 engine from the VMax, using VFR-like gear driven cams. Or the VFR1200 engine itself.
  • Side-mounted radiators (like the VFR) so the engine can be moved futher forward to get more weight on the front wheel
  • Revised shock linkage to free up space under the seat and drop weight
  • Use the additional weight under the seat for a plastic fuel tank to get weight down lower
Minor changes:

• Top loading bags
  • Better wind management: Longer windshield and a mechanism that allows it to go both higher and lower.

It's pretty amazing how little people are jumping on! Even though there are lists, the contents are minor except for HP. I'm pretty much with Ross on his list.

Starting with a Gen III --

• more horsepower via torque increase, not RPM increase
  • better seat
  • better headlights
  • more watts
  • reenforced sub frame
  • battery location
  • don't increase the weight
Edit to add: As I was typing Aasland redesigned the FJR, I think the axles may remain the same
wink.png

Edit II to add: Hold price increases to a very small percentage

Last edited by a moderator:
1) Red

2) inverted forks

3) free upgrade program - turn in your 1 year old FJR and get the current model year for free.

Simplify the removal/install of the bodywork.

Less weight would be good-maybe that will happen if yamaha comes out with the rumored FZ09-derived tourer (shaft-drive please.)

How about a factory-installed fuseblock under the seat?

I believe that we will see a three cylinder engine in the future, and, of course, when it comes it should be lighter and have more power than the current 4.

Even though the 5 speed transmission is fine, I find myself poking the lever looking for one more at times. I suppose if there were 6 gears I'd still poke at the lever looking for one more.
smile.png

Even though the 5 speed transmission is fine, I find myself poking the lever looking for one more at times. I suppose if there were 6 gears I'd still poke at the lever looking for one more.
smile.png
Time to upgrade to a newer FJR that has the gear indicator?

I'm the happy sort, like my old 07 just fine! Like Geezer always poking for another gear and like Geezer if I had six I'd want seven. So in a nut shell leave it alone and refine it.

Keep the 5 speeds but go to 1400cc, top loading side bags would be a must, on board GPS, with wifi, music, and phone capabilities.