Ignition problem,help!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Teal green is probably Light green..
rolleyes.gif
smile.png

https://www.fjr1300.info/misc/FJR-wiring.pdf

https://www.fjr1300.info/misc/FJR-wiring-4page.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the pin-out for the connector on the starter cutoff relay. That relay's purpose in life is to be sure conditions are met that permit the starter to run: [bike is in neutral] OR [clutch is pulled and sidestand is up.]

32499924713_a50a3d2366_o.jpg

Lg is Light green, goes to the neutral light if the bike is in neutral

L/G is Blue/Green, comes from the sidestand switch, ground with the stand up

Sb is Sky blue, ground when bike is in neutral

L/Y is Blue/Yellow, one side of the clutch switch and one of those lighter-gauge wires at the ignition switch

B/Y is Black/Yellow, the other side of the clutch switch. When the clutch lever is pulled, the clutch switch connects B/Y and L/Y together.

R/B is Red/Black, comes from the kill switch.12V for run, dead for kill

L/W is Blue/White, appears twice... both sides of the relay switched terminal have L/W wires. One is grounded by the starter button, the other passes on to the starter relay to energize the starter. Basically, if the starter cutoff relay is not energized, the start button doesn't do anything.

The L/Y wire of the clutch switch is connected by a diode to the sidestand switch, and "sees" if the sidestand is up. Both clutch switch wires are also connected to the ECU so it can monitor. I think what is happening to you is one side of the clutch switch is "lying" to the ECU and telling it the sidestand is up.

You've said the sidestand switch works. Let's see if that's true. Maybe it does, but the wire is broken somewhere and the ground doesn't reach the ECU for some reason. Check that Blue/Green wire at the starter cutoff relay. Remove the connector, connect an ohmmeter, one side to ground, one side to that connector hole with the Blue/Green wire. It should ground when the stand comes up, not ground when it's down. if that doesn't happen, you've found your problem. Trace that wire down the the stand and find where it's broken.

Something's not right with neutral, though. If the bike's in neutral, nothing else matters. The bike should start and run, both the sidestand switch and clutch switch are irrelevant. Do you have a neutral light when the bike's in neutral? If not, then the neutral switch, or its wiring is the problem. Ohmmeter check at the connector, the Sky blue wire, grounded when in neutral. I can almost guarantee that's not happening, because you say you have to clutch to start regardless of neutral.

I just went back and read some posts, and found "while hotwiring it, I connected all four wires together." Oooooooh, this could be a Bad Thing...... That means you applied battery positive to both of the light-gauge wires, and they don't carry battery positive. Ever. One of them goes to the ECU ($$$$$$$) and the other goes to one side of the clutch switch and the starter cutoff relay. Thinking about that statement is scaring me for the health of your bike's ECU...... It's conceivable that a diode has gone bad in the starter cutoff relay, so steal one from a friend and see if your bike works with it. That's not to bad to replace.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank-you very much wfooshee,I definetly fried something,I am hoping it is not the ECU cause I can run the bike.I will get a starter cutoff relay.

Lesson to learn from this......U hauling it home was not that bad.

so annoying to open the ignition switch and see the little u bracket stuck in the up position.
angry01.gif

You should be able to open up the kick stand switch and inspect/clean.

There is one small spring in there you need to watch from "launching".

Short (no pun intended), of causing further damage with the hot wire, the issue sounds like the kick stand switch staying activated

all the time. Bike thinks the kick stand is down and kills the engine as the clutch is let out in gear-as it should..

Wfooshee,you are AWESOME!

If you are ever passing thru Grand Forks B.C Canada....Dinner and a beer are on me!

So what happened is I was trying to hotwire my bike on the side of the hiway as dark was setting in and the battery was just about dead,I twisted all 4 wires together from the Ignition switch and fried the starter cut off relay,"pic is somewhere on here"

lesson....do not twist all four ignition switch wires together!

I bought a used starter cut off relay of ebay and it fired right up and runs in gear!

Thanks Guys for your help.