I'll Call You Back...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InsaneK9

Reaction score
I made up my mind.... after waiting almost a year, lurking the forums, dreaming about one bike over another, visiting local dealer to sit on their "furnature", finally.... made my mind up as to what bike I am going to get.

'06 FJR1300A

So, now the fun part... calling dealers looking for the best possible price. I'm paying cash but my parents didn't spawn a fool.... I'm still going to beat the crap out of the price margin (if possible).

So I make a list of dealers in my area + dealers around my work (75mi away)... about a dozen dealers in CA fill the list. I start calling, asking what their OTD price is... I start getting the same responce from the dealers... they will "call me back after they talk to their manager/gm..." I think I'm getting the brush off... :angry:

One dealer (Simi Valley Yamaha) does call back... he quotes me 17k OTD for the 1300A... I wasn't to tactfull... but made sure he was aware the MSRP was 13.5... that's one hell of a setup job they got in Simi! :wacko:

I'm getting the feeling that because this bike won't be available until MAY 06, that the dealers are just having fun with people like me... and blowing them off.

Has anyone in CALIFORNIA (LA area) ordered their's? Did you order it in person or via phone?

Need some guidance on this... thanks!

K9

I have not actually read this thread since I am lucky enough NOT to reside in the People's Republik of Kalifornia, but I imagine it will be helpful:

Purhasing 06 FJR in Kali thread

Congratulations! You made the right choice, even if they have detuned the motor for 06 slightly.

Keep shopping. You're better off showing up in person with cash for the deposit. You have to let them know that you know that this isn't a limited run bike - Yamaha will build as many as there is a demand for. So, stand your ground and negotiate a fair price with the dealer. If your not happy, pick your ass up and go on to the next guy.

And don't call Sunnyside (WA) as Slappy suggests (well, you can if you just wanna shoot the shit!). You can't register an out of state sourced new vehicle in California - only used with more that 7,500 miles and older than six months.

Edit again:

'O6 California models don't begin delivery until May per the web site (which means August in reality!).

Last edited by a moderator:
Call Sunnyside
Unfortunately, he can't. Need to have 7500 miles or something like that on a vehicle for it to be considered "used", and allowed into the state of Kali if you don't actually purchase it the state. Otherwise, no registration.

I figure that's why our Kali brothers and sisters get royally screwed on prices. Limited competition. But then, if they are all like TWN, they deserve to get screwed. :lol:

Expect to get fooked hard by the less reputable dealers on the new FJR. They expect they've really got a hot item here- and they do!

They should also expect they we are also watching and will know who they are for future reference.

Plenty of dealers out there willing to make a deal- D & H for sure if you can't find one local. For that kind of jing your next purchase can also turn into a vacation/breakin run home and give you pleasant memories to boot !

You have to let them know that you know that this isn't a limited run bike - Yamaha will build as many as there is a demand for.
I am not so sure about that. I have heard unsubstantiated rumors that there is a limit to how many can be sold this go around. When that number is hit, no more.

Anybody know any FACTS to the contrary?

Bueller?

You have to let them know that you know that this isn't a limited run bike - Yamaha will build as many as there is a demand for.
I am not so sure about that. I have heard unsubstantiated rumors that there is a limit to how many can be sold this go around. When that number is hit, no more.

Anybody know any FACTS to the contrary?

Bueller?
Prolly the same source that provided you the class on Manufacturing 101, no doubt! :fuck:

Riddle me this, BatSkooter: Why would they limit production? :eh:

I made up my mind.... after waiting almost a year, lurking the forums, dreaming about one bike over another, visiting local dealer to sit on their "furnature", finally.... made my mind up as to what bike I am going to get. 
Sitting on one is all it took for me.....You will not be disappointed when get to ride it. :yahoo:

Call the dealer in Quincy. He was discounting quite a bit. You will have a great ride home :cownoy:

L.A. Honda/Yamaha? They own the dealer in Quincy. Seems to me Ricjk-in-Sac bought his in SoCal, but I don't remember the dealer. Rick????

L.A. Honda/Yamaha? They own the dealer in Quincy. Seems to me Ricjk-in-Sac bought his in SoCal, but I don't remember the dealer. Rick????
Southbay Motorsports in National City, CA...San Diego area. Go see Ted.

+1 on SouthBay Motorsports.

1-619-420-2300. They were dealing on every 05 they sold, no reason to think they won't on the 06 A model.

1-619-420-2300. They were dealing on every 05 they sold, no reason to think they won't on the 06 A model.
Thank You all for your recomendations... I gave Ted at Southbay Motorsports a call.

It's a done deal... left deposit on '06 FJR-1300A of $500

OTD price is 13,420 which may not be the "best price" but the dealership is in CA and isn't that far from me. I'm actually quite happy with the price, and not complaining at all. The people I delt with on the phone were professional and polite. I would recommend them to friends and family for sure.

Price breakdown is...

12,290 (fjr)

955 (tax)

45 (dock)

130 (lic)

-----------

Now, how on earth am I going to be able to wait until May 06? Damn... :cry:

K9

Now, how on earth am I going to be able to wait until May 06? Damn... 
May? MAY?! BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! You believe that date?! BWAAAAAAAAAAA! I ordered my '05 the first day of the PDP, 2/6/04, IIRC. 3rd deposit that day for the dealer. "Oh yeah, we expect delivery in June." ...June. ...July. ...August. ...mid August. ...late August. Ring, ring. "Hi. Your bike's here."

May - riiiiiiiiiiight... <_<

May...ah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha....heh-heh-heh-heh-...haaa-haaa-haaa-haaa-hah...May....hee-hee-hee-hee-hee-ha-ha-ha-ha...May....snort, chuckle, bwaaaahhh-haaaaaaah-ha-ha-ha. Yeah, right! May! ROTFL.....

Oops, I mean,er, yes, I have heard that Yamaha has addressed all the shortcomings of the past PDP programs and regardless of what you may have read on the internet, the first deliveries will definitely be in May.

"Yessiree, Mr. Madmike, your deposit is affirmed and you are # 3 at this dealer. Your '05 FJR should be here by the middle of June so you can absolutely plan your vacation and enjoy your new bike."

Hmmmm, I seem to remember riding the CA coast in July....on the Connie! FJR arrived and picked up on Aug. 15th.

But , it was worth the wait.......trust us, newbies and waiters, it is definitely worth the wait.

1-619-420-2300.  They were dealing on every 05 they sold, no reason to think they won't on the 06 A model.
Thank You all for your recomendations... I gave Ted at Southbay Motorsports a call.

It's a done deal... left deposit on '06 FJR-1300A of $500

OTD price is 13,420 which may not be the "best price" but the dealership is in CA and isn't that far from me. I'm actually quite happy with the price, and not complaining at all. The people I delt with on the phone were professional and polite. I would recommend them to friends and family for sure.

Price breakdown is...

12,290 (fjr)

955 (tax)

45 (dock)

130 (lic)

-----------

Now, how on earth am I going to be able to wait until May 06? Damn... :cry:

K9
Good deal! Ted did me right on my 2004 and I am only 5 minutes away so is quite handy. Let me know when yours comes in and I will take a look at the new ones...although I am still waiting for the red :lol: