I'm impressed!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mk2wilson

Reaction score
I am really impressed with this bike. I started riding street bikes at 16 and have had a ton since then. In 2003 I bought my first Harley and have rode them every since (I know not popular on this site). Recently I traded my 2006 Electra Glide for a 2004 FJR ABS. I can’t believe the difference. This bike handles head over heels above the way the old e-glide did. Bumps that use to jar me, this bike just soaks up like they aren’t even there. The power is night and day difference. When I was considering trading I was concerned that the seating position of the FJR would be uncomfortable on longer rides, but I have found that the FJR is actually more comfortable than the e-glide even on longer rides. The e-glide use to hurt my lower back after a couple hundred miles, but with the FJR I can go all day and still feel fresh. I will say that I still like the look and sound of a Harley, but I wish I would have found this bike years ago. It sure would have saved me a ton of money!!!

Glad to hear you love it so much. I have never owned a Harley but have had cruisers in the past. I will agree with every point you have made about the differences and hope you enjoy it for years to come.

I will say that I still like the look and sound of a Harley, but I wish I would have found this bike years ago. It sure would have saved me a ton of money!!!
Yeah well, just wait until you round a curve and you see yourself in front of you putting along on that old Electra Glide. Before you can think about it you are past it, and all you can then say to yourself is; Dayem, why did it take so long? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to hear you love it so much. I have never owned a Harley but have had cruisers in the past. I will agree with every point you have made about the differences and hope you enjoy it for years to come.
Yep I am in the same boat as Planet89. Good feedback sir! I put a high value on handling, performance, and a few other things FJRs do very well. I also like my motorcycles quiet, very quiet. Just personal preferences based on years of experience.

I do like quiet more than I thought. Although I will say (and I know this is highly disputed) when I had louder pipes other drivers seemed to notice when I was along side them a lot sooner. I will trade that though for all the things that the FJR does better. I'm one of those guys that loves all motorcycles though. I can see the beauty in everything from an early panhead to a modern sportbike. If I was a millionare I am sure I would have one of everything in the garage and my wife would not be happy!

Yup, agree with the seating comfort. I came from a road king, the vertical seating position on the harley caused every bump to send a jolt right up through my spine. The slight forward lean of my torso on the Feejer eliminates this.

I do like quiet more than I thought. Although I will say (and I know this is highly disputed) when I had louder pipes other drivers seemed to notice when I was along side them a lot sooner. I will trade that though for all the things that the FJR does better. I'm one of those guys that loves all motorcycles though. I can see the beauty in everything from an early panhead to a modern sportbike. If I was a millionare I am sure I would have one of everything in the garage and my wife would not be happy!
I too like louder pipes, you could looking at the TROOPER MOD, but I changed to STAINTUNE slip ons. I don't think Mr. Staintune will go broke after all.

Best regards

Surly

.... If I was a millionare I am sure I would have one of everything in the garage and my wife would not be happy!
Oh Lordy Mr. Mk2Wilson did it now. If Bustanut joker reads this the wise cracks will never cease.

My taste in motorcycles tend to run the way of what you will find at the Solvang Motorcycle Museum in Solvang Ca. I had the good fortune of spending a couple of hours here once. I hope to return again someday.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you were a millionaire your wife would be happy. :clapping:

Now sharpen your search skills, they come in handy on this site, and go find the Bin-O-facts for your bike. Study up on your new girl and learn the difference between a Gen I & Gen II bike. Then start making a list of all the farkles you want/need/have to have. It'll be too loud and you'll be broke in no time, just like the rest of us. :rolleyes:

Welcome aboard.