I'm moving to California and I need help...(w/parking)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportsguy

searchgeek - author
Reaction score
I know, some of you are going to say "You need help BECAUSE you're moving to Cali!"...

Some of you may even be tempted by your own local weather to volunteer sight unseen for anything that'll get you to California!

But this one is simple...

On the nights of March 10 and 11, I need somewhere secure to park my trailer.

See, there are some things the movers won't take, or that I won't let them take. Motorcycles being on that list. Hence the trailer. I need to swing by St. Helena CA for an event on my way South. And I confirmed with my hotel they have only street parking available. This being a somewhat insecure location to park my trailer for two nights, I'm trying to find other solutions.

Some background:

I'll be driving from Seattle on the 10th, arriving later that evening. Looking to be about 13 - 14 hour son the road, maybe a smidge less depending on traffic, et al.

Trailer will obviously be pad locked, with wheel nut locks in place and two hitch locks installed. I have considered an actual wheel lock, those big yellow ones, but most look to be fairly flimsy - so a visual deterrent, but wouldn't stop a crow bar, essentially. Not hoping for a discussion on security and locks, mind you, but if there are obvious tips that make a difference, I'm all ears.

Bottom line is I'm hoping to connect with someone from the community in the area who might be willing to babysit my trailer for two nights in exchange for, I dunno, say a nice bottle of scotch?

duane

You can leave the KTM at the Hondarosa, I'll take care of her for you.. .just tryin' to help.... :)

So you're looking for somewhere to park the trailer in the St. Helena area? Sam/nightshine lives in Petaluma which is fairly close. I also have a friend in Santa Rosa and one in Sebastapol that I can ask.

So you're looking for somewhere to park the trailer in the St. Helena area? Sam/nightshine lives in Petaluma which is fairly close. I also have a friend in Santa Rosa and one in Sebastapol that I can ask.
These might be just what I need Tyler. :) Can we explore this?

Dcarver...you might have a chance at the KTM...it's on the bubble WRT to being for sale and IIRC, the short list of those interested in buying was...er...short. One gent here is considering it...but I haven't heard anything in weeks, so proceeding like it ain't gonna happen. Making my plan to travel with the little gal. ;)

Our movers moved my FJR just fine down to SC...but hope you find the help you need.
Both companies I'm getting quotes form *can* move the bikes. They won't move firearms and sundry other bits, and with the bikes, require a bunch of conditions be met, plus they are charging me by the pound for each of the three bikes. THAT added cost adds up quick and swayed me to just get a trailer.

Ouch, wish I could help.

When me and my roommate decided to split ways, I headed to Texas and she to Wisconsin. My company paid for my move including my motorcycle. The husband/wife moving team quickly got that my bike was my baby and let me oversee the securing of it. The bike wasn't going anywhere and was covered with a million furniture pads. It arrived in perfect condition.

My roommate had hers shipped by a company that crated it up. On arrival the crate was damaged, straps broken and the bike leaning against the side of the crate. Company's insurance made sure it was made whole again but still was a pain for her. It's a crapshoot. Getting a trailer is a good idea, because you can sell it when you are done if you don't need it and come out pretty even over all. Still want to take all the precautions you can though.

These might be just what I need Tyler.
smile.png
Can we explore this?
How big is the trailer?

Sorry to see you go Duane, maybe a rte before you depart. Whereabouts be you locating to? Cal. is on my no-ride list so have no fear.

Why most certainly! I can accommodate any size trailer; just PM me if you need a space! We're about an hour's drive from St Helena.

Trailer is a covered 6x12, like a Wells Cargo style.

I got first dibs on its resale!

Last edited by a moderator:
Why most certainly! I can accommodate any size trailer; just PM me if you need a space! We're about an hour's drive from St Helena.
If things don't work out with Sam, let me know and I'll contact my peeps in the area. B)

Hudson is correct - 6x12, enclosed.

But I have to announce two things...

1 - the support form this community both makes me smile and brings a tear to me eye - thank you all

2 - I *may* have a solution

It occurred to me this afternoon while getting new tires installed on the BMW (Z4 roadster) that I *could* reverse my original plan and solve most of this dilemma.

The original plan has me roosting South with the truck/trailer for a March 11th date in Napa. Ultimately this means loading our gear into the new property in Cali for a couple weeks before we're back in town to move in fully.

I'm considering reversing my plan - take the truck and trailer down later, pretty much negating the need to store it anywhere on the way, and just drive the BMW down and park it in the garage in Cali.

Going to think on this for a day or so and make the call.

Really do appreciate the support and offers gang...but I fear I may have spun up a tempest in teapot here... :(

Sounds like you have a solution one way or another. There's worse problems to have.

Yeah, like now, you need to figure out how you're going to get that KTM to the Hondarosa so I can 'store' it for you!
punk.gif
angel.gif

LOL - yeah, California is going to be a whole new experience! :)

As a side note, which actually brings us back on topic, I solved this problem. I'm going to run the BMW down first, park it in the garage at the house in Camarillo and fly home. Next trip will see me tow the trailer/bikes and will be my final move trip to Cali.

Rather than overnight anywhere during the tow, I'll crash as a rest stop on the highway for a couple hours, then keep going. Well, that's my plan anyway - we'll see if I get all wussy about it and seek out a hotel on the way. ;)