I'm tired of my crappy FJR brakes. Will Galfer lines help?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrmoho

Reaction score
Of all the bikes I've owned I'd have to say the FJR brakes have been the crappiest. Yes, I know its a heavy bike and its a linked system and and and. I don't care about the excuses I keep telling myself. Surely braided lines can help. The only braided lines I've every had were on my KTM dirtbike and they came stock so I don't have a before and after to compare. So who has installed Galfers? Is it alot better? It doesn't appear to be a very popular modification. Or at least I didn't see much in the searching I've done. I'm guessing the install will be a pain, especially with it being an ABS bike.

Thanks.

I'm guessing the install will be a pain, especially with it being an ABS bike.
ABS & Linked. Yes, many lines. On an '05 non ABS the Galfers were phenomenal and ABS non-linked helped a bit. ABS and linked...less so.

But to say the FJR brakes are "crappy"? Whatever.
fool.gif

FJR brakes crappy? When was the last time you bled them? I'm on the mobile version, so I don't know what year you have. All the braided lines do is reduce any elasticity the OEM lines may have. So instead of the lines bulging some, the pressure goes directly to the calipers. They may grab a little faster, but not "better." Those few that have done a GenII will attest it is a royal pain in the ass. Most say not worth the time, effort and expense.

Just about everyone here will tell you the FJR has phenomenal brakes. If yours aren't stopping the bike, or don't brake hard enough to activate the ABS, something is wrong. If the ABS does activate, well, you've reached the end if what the brakes can do. That would just be a 'weight of the bike' thing.

You do use both brakes...Right??

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, I use both brakes. I've learned to use both even before I got the FJR. I bleed them every year. I use pretty good quality fluid. 2 years ago I even thought I had some contamination in the pads so I replaced them too. I've never found my FJR brakes to be all that great. But last year I took a KTM 990 adventurer out and the brakes on it were noticeable better then mine. So this year I'd like to do something about it.

By the way, I have never been able to activate the ABS on my bike. I've never tried on gravel or wet pavement. I've had my fair share of close calls and with a full fist of front and rear brakes I've never felt any pulsing on the on either brake. Since this is my first ABS bike, I'm not even sure what it feels like. I assume you'd feel it in the lever.

I think the FJR lines are already reinforced, if you look at the lines closely you'll see what looks like some kind of braiding under the rubber. I know my lines are still in top notch even after 214,000 miles on the bike. There's no getting away from it, this is a freaking heavy bike, and many of us tend to add a bunch more crap to it to only increase the weight. Whilst you're not likely to be pulling unintended stoppies on the FJR like on GSXR or similar, I have to disagree about the brakes being crappy.

Find an empty parking lot and make sure you can activate both the front an rear ABS, if not, get it fixed ASAP.

By the way, I have never been able to activate the ABS on my bike. I've never tried on gravel or wet pavement.
There's your problem right there! If you haven't used your ABS on the bike--you haven't used all the brakes.
Not for a lack of trying. I've had a handful of brake on that bike many times and I've never felt the ABS. Well, I guess I'll be troubleshooting that this weekend.

By the way, I have never been able to activate the ABS on my bike. I've never tried on gravel or wet pavement.
There's your problem right there! If you haven't used your ABS on the bike--you haven't used all the brakes.
Not for a lack of trying. I've had a handful of brake on that bike many times and I've never felt the ABS. Well, I guess I'll be troubleshooting that this weekend.
Do a search on the Forum for a thread describing where to hook up a switch which will let you pulse the ABS pump without even riding the bike. This is a handy farkle as it lets you periodically cycle the ABS pump without actually having to go out and lock up your brakes to both test the ABS pump and circulate any stale fluid...

I think it was posted by Ionbeam some time back. The factory connector for this is located behind (front of the bike) the battery. Yamaha used to sell a switch and connector loom but no longer does, but all you need is a SPST switch (flip or push button) and some taps or similar to make up your own.

Sounds like you have a problem with your brake system. If you've locked them up so that the tires skid, then there's no question about it. You'll definitely know you engaged the ABS when it pulses; it isn't a polite or subtle tremor.

Having said that, no one is going to think the 650+ lb. FJR brakes well compared to high end, Brembo equipped sport bikes. For its weight and mission, though, the ABS FJR does pretty well when its brake system is working properly.

Good luck getting it sorted out.

I tend to 'drag' my rear brake through the bends. Last year on a couple of occasions on particularly windy Italian mountain roads, I completely lost my rear brake due to brake fade. I had changed the fluid just before the trip. Thing is, I never had it happen on the same roads in previous years on a heavy Burgman scooter doing the same speeds. The FJR was pretty loaded down with side cases, top box, tail pack, tank bag and fat bastard (me) on it but still, I though the brakes should have coped. Perhaps the Burgman has better rear brakes!!!

Crappy ???? whatever.

They are better than the Brembos' on the Stelvio.

Better than the 6 pot Tokico calipers on the GSX and TLR !

I'd suggest there is a problem with them.

I think you need to establish whether your brakes are "normal" but just not meeting your expectations. Or whether you have a significant problem. I seriously doubt that the aftermarket brake lines will make much difference. As it has been said, the SS lines may have a little less "zone" due to less bulging of the lines but the ultimate stopping capacity won't change.

I have NO problem invoking the ABS on a slightly sandy dry parking lot. I haven't had the balls to deliberately brake to that point on clean, dry pavement (although I have no doubt the brakes could do it easily). I would suggest that you should get together with another Gen II FJR owner and do a direct comparison. My FJR brakes are far better than I have experienced on any bike I have owned. (Other bikes have all been quite heavy as well).

What are you using for brake pads? I have had comparable performance with the Yamaha OEM and the EBC HH sintered pads. Organic pads wear faster and offer significantly less braking performance. If you do change your pads, extend the pistons and make sure they are clean and move freely. What are you using for brake fluid? - DOT4 is what is required. I believe DOT5 is a silicone fluid and may not play well with rubber brake seals and is certainly not compatible with the DOT4 that was originally in the system.

After braking, I would suggest you check the temperature of your front rotors. Are both similar? If you used front brakes only, both should be quite warm but the left may be warmer due to the fact that you are using two sets of pads on the left and one on the right - the lower right pad is the link to the rear brake.

Forest rats have given me the opportunity to exercise my ABS on several occasions. Crappy brakes? Hardly. Saved my ass a few times. It really shouldn't take a whole lot to activate them. As for rear brake fade, I have had that happen once. It was on the dragon 2-up and we were riding hot. I was doing some serious trail braking. About halfway through no rear brake. When we got to deals gap I noticed balled up rubber on the tires. Yeah, I guess we were running a little hot. The brake can only dissipate so much heat. It wasn't the brakes fault. As to "dragging" the rear, well you will not give it any opportunity for it to cool off. My rear brake was back after about a half hour rest stop at Deals Gap.

A few times a year I give the ABS a workout on a gravel road. If they work, it's a no panic situation. So far so good.

I think you need to establish whether your brakes are "normal" but just not meeting your expectations....
Hear, hear! "FJR brakes have been the crappiest" is pretty vague, it's not clear to me what the problem is.

Are you grabbing the front brake with all four fingers and giving it all you got but bike isn't slowing?

I find the front brakes so good I rarely use more then two fingers. For a 650lb bike + rider and occasionally pillon, I'm impressed.

Wondering if rotors have become glazed or contaminated.

Funny how things are relative. I rode mostly a big cruiser before the FJR. No ABS and single brake rotors. Now that is a hard bike to stop.

When I got the FJR I took it to a parking lot to practice emergency braking. Wow, I learned to hold on so I didn't end up on the gas tank.

The first modification I did to the FJR was the tank pads. So I could squeeze with my legs and hold on.

I dun had me some Galfer lines on mah last '07, 'n didn't notice any better brake'in. It wuz actually worse fer awhile, cuz it took me several bleeds to get all the air outta all them lines.

My advice to you, is get sum EBC double sintered pads, install 'em, (After clean'in yer rotors.) then fluch the system w/ new quality fluid, and bed 'em in per their instructions.

Also, if'in ya wanta stop fast w/ the FJR, mash the rear brake pedal down!
wink.png

No, stainless steel brake lines will not make much difference on how well the brakes work for a linked ABS system. You may get a little more feedback to the levers, but that will not change the braking performance. It will be an expensive and complicated job.

I assume you are not the first owner of this FJR, so you don't know for sure what has been done.

As said above, you likely have a problem with your brakes. I have tried aftermarket pads and always switch back to OEM because they work better and don't cost much more.

Flush the brake fluid. Exercise the ABS, then flush the fluid again. You can tell by the color if the fluid has been changed recently, but it can't hurt to flush it even if it's clean and it is an inexpensive thing to do.

If your rotors were bad it would be obvious to an experienced rider, so they are probably OK.

The calipers could be a problem if one or more pucks are binding. That would likely show up as uneven wear on the pads, but you'll clean and check the calipers when you take the pads out, so you'll have that covered.

Good luck and report back so we can learn from your experience.