Impromptu Tech Day - Part Deux 4/19/14

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just started ordering parts for my own valve check. So far I've got a new CCT with gasket, a shim kit, plugs, wires and boots, valve cover gasket (just in case), a manometer, and feeler gauges. Man, I would love to observe, especially since you seem to have an idea what you're doin. Sure, it could be an illusion. But I'm betting that watching you could same me a ton of aggravation.
Please let us know what time you plan to start.
PM sent. I forgot to add that you don't need to bring anything except maybe a camera. I will be taking pictures of the progress too.

Unfortunately, the long range forecast looks wet for Saturday. Just a heads up that I do have a garage. I will be working on my bike rain or shine.
Looks like the rain chance dropped to 10% for the area, which pretty much means no rain.

Changing out the rear PR3 for another PR3 today; the old tire gave me 12,491 miles, the majority of which were highway miles unfortunately.

Unfortunately, the long range forecast looks wet for Saturday. Just a heads up that I do have a garage. I will be working on my bike rain or shine.
Looks like the rain chance dropped to 10% for the area, which pretty much means no rain.

Changing out the rear PR3 for another PR3 today; the old tire gave me 12,491 miles, the majority of which were highway miles unfortunately.
Nice mileage. The rest of my parts came yesterday. Heading for Ohio today.

going to Ohio? Going on the bike? I'm jealous!

I would like to of squeezed another trip in before coming out to Ohio in 2 weeks... but doesn't look like it's going to happen unless Jay & I squeeze a trip in next weekend.

& I guess it's not going to be a hell of a ride. A few of us will be @ his house on Saturday morning.

I would like to of squeezed another trip in before coming out to Ohio in 2 weeks... but doesn't look like it's going to happen unless Jay & I squeeze a trip in next weekend.
& I guess it's not going to be a hell of a ride. A few of us will be @ his house on Saturday morning.
He put a route together...I'm just following. He did mention 555 from top to bottom, then I'll follow him part way through WV before making my turn back north.

Thanks much to Intech for your hospitality and an informative tech day. Your perseverance on that valve check was commendable. There is no substitute for seeing others do the work you usually only read about. I now have a much higher level of confidence for tearing things apart vs paying beau coup bucks to the dealership.

No Pics- Did not happen….
Oh for pete's sake Tony, I don't even have my bike all back together! I just got mine back to test run condition to ensure it was leak free and then helped Scott get his back together, because he had to ride home. I will get some pictures loaded. Actually Scott posted some pictures on Facebook during the process.

Turned out to be quite a nice day weatherwise in this area. Scott rode through some rain coming from the south, but it was clear and sunny here.

A few observers arrived from Northern Virginia, Philadelphia, and Delaware:

P1020165_zps893192f1.jpg

Since Mike didn't bring his bike he provided stories in the driveway:

P1020164_zpsdb133eab.jpg

Jay and Scott were staying busy while I was snapping some pics:

P1020161_zps8100a86a.jpg

Proof that I was making progress. Seems my valve cover came off a little easier that Scott's for some reason:

P1020155_zps9534883b.jpg

P1020160_zpsa16218bc.jpg

Chris is thinking, I will just keep my hands in my pockets and I can't be blamed for nuthin!

P1020166_zps5aa5fe72.jpg

Actually Chris was a big help. Everyone that showed up helped out somewhere. Even those that just wanted to observe and learn. What better way to learn than get your hands dirty? The day wasn't without some challenge's, though. I started to disassemble before anyone arrived. The second bolt I tried to loosen (top tank bolt) cammed out. I had to drill it out and use an easy out. Those will be replaced with standard bolts.

Challenge number two; We had Scott's bike running with the tank unmounted to check for leaks. We decided to do a TBS while we had it open. The perch I had the tank on (the way I always do it myself) is a little precarious, but you just use caution and don't work on that side of the bike. Well, I violated my own rule and while working over the tank I knocked it off it's perch. I was able to catch the tank before it hit anything, smashing my knee and a finger. Did I mention that the tank was at least 3/4 full? The only victim in the incident was the wires in the tank level connector. Both wires pulled out of the connector. One intact with the metal connector on the end, the other just the wire. I was sick. I worked at that connector to get the other metal connector out for quite some time. I eventually got it out, but the wire wasn't long enough to re-crimp without taking the other one apart to redo. So, I got the soldering iron out and soldered it back together. We plugged it up and checked the TBS. We didn't even have to make an adjustment!

Jay wanted to do a TBS, because he said it was running a little rough. He pulled the vacuum caps and found one that was missing the top part. Yep, that would have an effect. Mike donated some more tubing and Jay installed a manifold like mine. Jay reported that the bike is now nice and smooth.

Thanks to everyone for their help. I have more work to finish on mine today and then get it put back together.

Impomptu Tech day-Part Deux is officially in the books.

Tony: Seriously Dude. If I get my sheit together for a tech day up here, you coming up to be the official photographer? It'd be nice to see gen 1's represented. I know you're starting to get into wrenching.....if I get it together, you're officially invited. Ps: did you ever get those grip covers I sent you way?

Last edited by a moderator: