In Search Of: The Perfect Windscreen

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just bought a new-to-me 2009 FJR1300AE and rode home the 50 miles from Tacoma to Redmond, WA on a bright March day.
I already want to swap out the wind shield, so the first thing I did was join the forum and read this post.

I'm female, 5' 8" with a 31 inside leg, 160 lbs. I wear a Schuberth helmet. I found I could not get a good position for the stock screen, unless I put it all the way up and ducked down behind it (which isn't tenable for very long ..).

So, rifle or v-stream or cee bailey are the names I see mentioned most, with rifle coming out ahead. But all you guys are bigger than I am. Any short riders (or female drivers ?) out there willing to comment ?

If I do get a tinted screen, what looks good with the titanium finish on my AE ?

Thanks,

Riona
Titanium Metallic like mine here? Good taste if so!
smile.png

I have 3 shields currently for this bike. This is the CB 26" Dk Tint. I'm 6-4 and seems to do well in cooler temps for me. Personally I do not like the windshield in the Up(per) more stand-up positions (for wind/current/flow). I like the shield in it's "tucked down" position so with this taller shield I get pretty good protection.

photobucket-6368-1363009959325_zps2fb77824.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Spud, Which size sheild and also your dimensions
This is from the order form:

Yamaha FJR 1300 Replacement Windshield System (06-12) (Medium Bronze Tint ($20.00), +3 inches Tall +4 inches Wide) 1 $244.00

I'm 6'1" 33" inseam. I thought about a size larger than what I got, I'm glad I didn't go any bigger.

Spud, Which size sheild and also your dimensions
This is from the order form:

Yamaha FJR 1300 Replacement Windshield System (06-12) (Medium Bronze Tint ($20.00), +3 inches Tall +4 inches Wide) 1 $244.00

I'm 6'1" 33" inseam. I thought about a size larger than what I got, I'm glad I didn't go any bigger.
OK thanks I'm a solid 5 11 with a 32 inch inseam. Rifle suggested a plus 5 windsheild for me. I really don't want to go any taller than I have to.in the full up position can you get into a silent pocket of air?

Just bought a 2006 and the PO included a plus sized CalSci windshield.

I'm 6'- 32" inseam ( seat in low position, bar risers)and couldn't quite find the right height to have smooth airflow. Much buffeting!

Tried the spacer idea and found that a 20mm adjustment pushed the shield back enough to make a marked improvement!

Still, I ordered a large CeeBailey and have hopes that further improvement will be possible.

Having gone through this with an ST1100, I know a perfect solution isn't possible but having the adjustable system the FJR provides, I'm confident I can get better results than with a fixed screen system.

I ended up with a Laminar Lip on the ST but don't want to do that with the FJR.

For a different comparison, I'm 6' 2" tall, with a 34 inch inseam, and I opted for the +5 (height), and +4 (width) Rifle, which seems to work really well, and yes it's medium bronze:

100_3138.jpg

And here's a different angle:

100_3241Medium.jpg

It takes awhile to get used to the "barn door" look, and the changed angle of the windshield.

I have been running the stock shield, which is a joy for me since I've never had a bike with a usable screen. I have noticed that if I have the screen all the way up and duck down about 1-1.5" I get into a completely calm pocket of air, but feel pressure on my back pushing me forwards. So, I am looking for an aftermarket screen that will make it more quiet for myself and sometimes the wifey. My main concern is with the structural strength of the brackets- I get nervous at 80mph with my screen all the way up, and it would be much worse at higher speeds and/or larger screen. Whenever I am going to elevate my rate of travel I always put the screen down, but I'd like to maintain the speeds this bike is capable of with the screen down. Has anyone had problems with the bracket breaking with these giant shields?

I have been running the stock shield, which is a joy for me since I've never had a bike with a usable screen. I have noticed that if I have the screen all the way up and duck down about 1-1.5" I get into a completely calm pocket of air, but feel pressure on my back pushing me forwards. So, I am looking for an aftermarket screen that will make it more quiet for myself and sometimes the wifey. My main concern is with the structural strength of the brackets- I get nervous at 80mph with my screen all the way up, and it would be much worse at higher speeds and/or larger screen. Whenever I am going to elevate my rate of travel I always put the screen down, but I'd like to maintain the speeds this bike is capable of with the screen down. Has anyone had problems with the bracket breaking with these giant shields?
Yamaha sells the Touring shield, which is pretty damn big. I had one and ran it full up a lot of the time, at triple-digit speeds w/no problem. You do get some flexing but I've never heard of a break. I think they designed it to keep up w/the hp output of the bike regardless of shield size.

Oh, don't get nervous at 80 mph!! I've had my rifle up to 130+ (gps indicated), on Nevada SR 375 (the ET highway). No problemo! Usually if you want to exceed "warp speed" (120 mph +), it may be prudent to lower the big screen (like a Rifle), and kind of tuck in behind it!!

Good luck with your decision, and BTW, I've had no problems with brackets breaking at high speeds. I've owned my Rifle for over 15k miles, using it in the wide open west, where high speeds are "sometimes" achieved.

I have a +2 H Cee Bailey Regular (non flip) screen. Rode 120 miles starting at 28 dgrees F Saturday. This shield works great for me. Nice pocket of calm.

I am 6'0" with a 32" inseam. I really like it and dont feel the need to search beyond this.

I have a +2 H Cee Bailey Regular (non flip) screen. Rode 120 miles starting at 28 dgrees F Saturday. This shield works great for me. Nice pocket of calm.I am 6'0" with a 32" inseam. I really like it and dont feel the need to search beyond this.

In the full up position can you get a silent pocket of air?

Yes, it as quiet as it can be.

The only noise I hear is the transmission, engine, and road noise from the front tire.

I am amazed at how much the tire noise changes... even from just the car tire grooves to the center of the lane.

I have never had a bike that I could hear front tire noise so clearly on before... it took me a while to realize what the roaring sound was and to stop thinking it was spinning a bearing or something. On smooth new pavement, its as quiet as can be, on New York Interstate concrete... pretty loud.

I do not feel any push or pull towards or away from the windshield. I tend to ride 65-75Mph all the time.

I do feel side winds though... but imagine you would with any shield.

Yes, it as quiet as it can be.
The only noise I hear is the transmission, engine, and road noise from the front tire.

I am amazed at how much the tire noise changes... even from just the car tire grooves to the center of the lane.

I have never had a bike that I could hear front tire noise so clearly on before... it took me a while to realize what the roaring sound was and to stop thinking it was spinning a bearing or something. On smooth new pavement, its as quiet as can be, on New York Interstate concrete... pretty loud.

I do not feel any push or pull towards or away from the windshield. I tend to ride 65-75Mph all the time.

I do feel side winds though... but imagine you would with any shield.
I agree with bwv, I have the CB Flip +2 on both my 2012 and 2013, I'm 5'11 with a 30" inseam and with about a 1" raise of the screens I can get a full pocket of quiet air. You certainly hear the front tire noise more than anything else. I liked the flip screens as it allows you to keep them relatively low which angles the shield more for a sporty look in addition to the decent protection.

I have never had a bike that I looked through the windsheild and I think I'm gonna give the CB with the flip a try. I understand that the flip may partially obstruct my view if in the full up position, but I think I can deal with that in the rare occasions that I want full protection.

Good to know. I assumed Yamaha had done their job well, but with as much area as these shields have and the velocities these bikes are capable of... that's a lot of force. Looking into the Cee Bailey.

Been running a V-Stream since 2008 and love it. It's been called a barn door by the FJR purists, but screw em, it works great and has held up well in the 5 years it's been on the bike. I can really hide behind it if needed and no turbulance to speak of.

If you don't want to feel air around your helmet you got to have the top of the windshield above your helmet. No way around it. I use the Yamaha touring. It's 4" taller than standard and works great, no air moving around the helmet. The down side is when it's all the way up I look through it.

I do agree that a taller than your helmet windshield, will, in most cases put you in a pocket of calm... But, I have a different opinion... I don't beleive that it HAS to be that tall to leave you in a calm space at reasonable speeds.

I rode 60 miles last night in 55 degree weather, face shield open, no sun glasses for the 30 miles home, looking clearly over the top of my only 2" taller than stock cee bailey, all the way up, at 65 miles an hour both ways and there was barely any air movement around my face at all. I mean, no more than i would have had standing still.

Bikemiser. So you have the yamaha touring shield on your 2013. I am in search of a new windshield for mine. Im 5'5'' but I really like good wind protection. I had a Rifle Touring on my 2005 and loved it. So if you had it to do again would you still go with the yamaha one? I like the looks of it. I was gonna get the cee bailey but I dont really care for the flip.

ed

One thing I have noticed in the past couple days now that its above freezing and ive ridden on the highway with my stock sheild in the low position is that the air you get is very calm any pretty quiet. Its not until you raise the sheild that it gets noisy.