Instrument Cluster

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkin

Reaction score
The background light is flashing where the fuel/clock etc is located.

I checked the diag codes and nothing there...any ideas why?

Thanks

Whats weird is its a very consistant flash from hi to lo intensity.

Every 5 seconds. Like its trying to tell me something.. :unsure:

There's nothing on the bike that's programmed to flash the dash lights for any reason. Bad bulb is all.

Is it the whole dash, or just the LCD? You'd probably need to be out in the dark to be able to tell. Do the gauges die when the display goes dark?

If the whole meter panel is cutting out, and not just the lights, that sounds like the issue Patriot had a few weeks ago, which he apparently fixed by cleaning some connectors under the tank. If it's just a bulb flickering, you'll have to take the meter panel out and remove the back of it to get to the circuit board to replace the bulbs. Do yourself a favor and replace them all while you're in there.

In the thread in HiYo's first link, the first post has a link to the Radio Shack bulbs, identical and WAY cheaper than Yamaha's price. The third post in that thread links to my thread about getting the bike apart enough to get to the meter assembly.

Says the guy tearing down a 6-cylinder with four chains in it . . . . :huh:
You do have a point - but I think I'd rather pluck a 1979 KZ1300 engine than do an instrument cluster light bulb change job on an FJR. :lol:

BTW, good point, you win this one wfoo...

Its just the LCD. I timed the changes...EXACTLY 4 seconds every time.
However compelling this is, there is no feature or function that flashes the dash lights. Either the meter assembly is defective or the lamp is failing.

Take a magazine and cover all but the right 1/8 of the LCD panel. Does it flash? Now do the same with the left side of the LCD panel. Does it flash? There are two bulbs that illuminate the LCD panel, what you did with the magazine was to isolate the two bulbs to determine if one or both bulbs are flashing. If it is just one bulb then it is almost certain that you have a failing bulb. If it is both bulbs that are flashing then there is a very outside chance that there is a failing component on the circuit board. As far as I could tell it looks like all the illumination bulbs on the meter assembly share a common power supply and ground so it should not be possible for just one bulb to be flashed independently of the others.

If you go through all the work to pull the meter display there is another bulb option --> Lookie here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks All for the help.

Checked/cleaned the connections I thought may effect it..no luck.

Covered 1/8 of display as ionbeam sugessted and determined its the

right bulb flashing. It has to be..maybe.. the bulb is heating up and

then shutting off..then cooling and coming back on again. :unsure:

It was just odd how consistent the flashing is.

I'm not going to worry if thats all it is. Just let the thing

burn out.

Thanks again

I'm not going to worry if thats all it is. Just let the thing

burn out.
While you're in there...replace them. It's not that hard if you have the nose off. See my signature for links to possible LED conversions and pictures to help replacement of stock or LED.