Insurance: Good Grief!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark G

Reaction score
I've had Progressive insurance for years on my Goldwing. Added the FJR, the annual premium, which included only comp, collision, and liability (none of that PIP, uninsured motorist, etc) was about $780 per year. Called Dairyland this afternoon, got a quote for same coverage EXCEPT LOWER deductible ($100 vs $500) for just a little more than half the Progressive quote. Oddly, the Goldwing premium is about the same for both companies.

Needless to say, I switched.

I'm sure it has to do with the two companies' ratings, but jeez!

Those of you living in states with regulated insurance rates should be sure to keep voting for your regulation-friendly reps. Here in Texas the Ins lobby gets us good.

I've had Progressive insurance for years on my Goldwing. Added the FJR, the annual premium, which included only comp, collision, and liability (none of that PIP, uninsured motorist, etc) was about $780 per year. Called Dairyland this afternoon, got a quote for same coverage EXCEPT LOWER deductible ($100 vs $500) for just a little more than half the Progressive quote. Oddly, the Goldwing premium is about the same for both companies.

Those of you living in states with regulated insurance rates should be sure to keep voting for your regulation-friendly reps. Here in Texas the Ins lobby gets us good.
I had the same experience with Progressive in Ohio just last week. My agent said she wanted to check Progressive because sometimes they are very competitive on motorcycles. Quote from Progressive was $780. Quote from normal provider was $380.

Don

i live in texas and GEICO quoted this...i wonder if there is anything i can do without and should have...anybody know...

The details of the coverages and premiums for 2006 YAMAHA FJR1300A are:

Bodily Injury Liability(BI) --- $20,000 / $40,000 --- $14.00

Property Damage Liability(PD) --- $15,000 --- $9.00

Medical Payments(MED) --- NO --- $

Personal Injury Protection(PIP) --- $2,500 limit / no deductible --- $219.00

Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury(UMBI) --- I decline this coverage --- $0.00

Uninsured Motorist Property Damage(UMPD) --- NO --- $0.00

Comprehensive(COMP) --- $500 deductible --- $56.00

Collision(COLL) --- $500 deductible --- $446.00

Towing(TOW) --- $50 limit per incident --- $10.00

Seaeagle,

I'm in Texas too... check Dairyland... they were the cheapest I could find the last time I looked... by a lot.

i live in texas and GEICO quoted this...i wonder if there is anything i can do without and should have...anybody know...

YEAH.. you should do without Geico... any company that gives the PD's radar detectors for traffic enforcement is off my list :angry:

I'm not an insurance expert, but unless you have no assets of any kind, I'd say your liability limits are way too low. A your-fault wreck could easily run gazillions in bodily injury.

As I understand it, PIP is essentially medical insurance for you. If you have insurance, why do you need PIP? I asked my insurance agent that question, and she confessed: you don't need it.

$50 limit for towing is stupid. That won't get you 20 feet. You might be better off dropping the ten bucks and joining AAA or somesuch. The Progressive and Dairyland policies both have higher tow limits. My ex-Progressive policy included trip interruption coverage...motel, car rental.

SAME thing here...had progressive...just went to Diaryland Today...GEICO was close also...anything but Progressive...what a mess....

Not trying to offend fellow Texans, but what is your driving / credit histories like?

The reason I ask is that I have the following coverages on my GL1800 with ANPAC:

Bodily Injury: 250K/500K

Property Damage 100K

Medical 5,000

Unisured / Underinsured 250K/500K

Unisured PD 250K

Comprehensive Deducible $250

Collision Deducible $250

and my rate is $360 a year..

The 2006 FJR1300AE with the same coverages will be $261 per year.

The following other attributes are part of the equation:

1) NO Accidents.

2) EXCELLENT CREDIT

3) LIVE IN BRAZOS COUNTY.

Best Regards,

Shane

Not trying to offend fellow Texans, but what is your driving / credit histories like?
The reason I ask is that I have the following coverages on my GL1800 with ANPAC:

Bodily Injury: 250K/500K

Property Damage 100K

Medical 5,000

Unisured / Underinsured 250K/500K

Unisured PD 250K

Comprehensive Deducible $250

Collision Deducible $250

and my rate is $360 a year..

The 2006 FJR1300AE with the same coverages will be $261 per year.

The following other attributes are part of the equation:

1) NO Accidents.

2) EXCELLENT CREDIT

3) LIVE IN BRAZOS COUNTY.

Best Regards,

Shane

Same liability coverage, $100 deductible, no bodily injury or uninsured coverage, only other difference is Travis County: $388 for the 2003 Gl1800, $473 for the Yamaha.

I'm quite surprised your Yamaha coverage is less than your Goldwing. Perhaps your Goldwing is new, too?

I'd not heard of ANPAC before, I'll certainly be in touch with them.

I do know Travis County has higher premiums than most counties in Texas.

What I learned when getting high limit coverage is that the price to max out the companies limit is really no different than going with what you might normally feel comfortable with. Maybe within $10.00 or something.

Last year, when my insurance was up for renewal, I tried ANPAC with a local agent... actually someone who went to my church... their rates were terrible, and it was like trying to pull teeth to get them to cover my "crotch rocket". And yes, I explained to them repeatedly that it's not a crotch rocket... but to no avail.

Last year, when my insurance was up for renewal, I tried ANPAC with a local agent... actually someone who went to my church... their rates were terrible, and it was like trying to pull teeth to get them to cover my "crotch rocket". And yes, I explained to them repeatedly that it's not a crotch rocket... but to no avail.
My understanding with ANPAC is that they use Driving / Accident History + Credit Report for most of their underwriting determination.

I still can't believe their rates because since I switched, I am paying less for BOTH bikes than I was for just the GL1800 with State Farm.

Best Regards,

Shane

My credit rating is good beyond belief, and have a clean driving record with no accidents or tickets when the estimate was made. Maybe the difference is that you're in Brazos county, and I'm in Galveston county.

Last edited by a moderator:
My understanding with ANPAC is that they use Driving / Accident History + Credit Report for most of their underwriting determination.

I still can't believe their rates because since I switched, I am paying less for BOTH bikes than I was for just the GL1800 with State Farm.

Best Regards,

Shane
I would say all insurance for anyone living in Galveston county has probably gone up after last year :( !

Best Regards,

Shane

I have Bike Line (Markel) on the Wing, and Proggressive on the FJR.

I just called Dairyland and got a qoute for BOTH bikes (same coverage levels) that was cheaper than just what Progressive charges me for the FJR ALONE.

Dairyland also gave me more accessory coverage ($5K per bike).

I am going to switch to Dairyland.

Last edited by a moderator:
My experience with Bike-Line/Markel was "less than positive".

I have Dairyland and have been mentioning their rates for the FJR since 2002.

Does Dairyland insure outside of Texas. If so does anyone have a contact number for them. I have never heard of Dairyland in Oregon.

Does Dairyland insure outside of Texas. If so does anyone have a contact number for them. I have never heard of Dairyland in Oregon.
Like Panthercity just said, Sentry bought out Dairyland, but still sells policy under the Dairyland moniker.

Sentry Motorcycle Ins Info

1-800-3SENTRY

My rates in Indiana are not as sweet as they are in TX. I pay just under 5 bills now, but it was about $800 annually before that.