Intercoms

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vulcan

Reaction score
After reading a lot of posts about people running their music, GPS, intercoms etc through a device like a Chatterbox or a Starcom I have decided to take the plunge myself. Even after reading all the posts I still have some questions.....

1) Is the choice really just Chatterbox vs Starcom or is there some other brand that I should also look at.

2) Comments from users.....what are the Pros and Cons of each?

3) Mounting locations (photos would be great).

After reading a lot of posts about people running their music, GPS, intercoms etc through a device like a Chatterbox or a Starcom I have decided to take the plunge myself. Even after reading all the posts I still have some questions.....
1) Is the choice really just Chatterbox vs Starcom or is there some other brand that I should also look at.

2) Comments from users.....what are the Pros and Cons of each?

3) Mounting locations (photos would be great).
Autocom is another name that comes up very frequently.

I have read it is a step up over chatterbox, equal or a little better than starcom.

More expensive than both the others.

I have not used any of them but I am also looking as well.

I've been using Starcom for just over a year, and it's been excellent, way way better than chatterbox.

On a normal setting the wife and I can talk comfortably at speeds in excess of 80-90mph, and wind noise is negligable. The earphones are very comfortable, and my mp3 player works really well. The unit fits perfectly in the "toolbox" under the seat, and we leave the earphone cables free, just tuck them between the seats when we are off the bike.

Vulcan; Go to Universal Cycle in Calgary, talk to Don, the owner. He has tried all the different brands and is now handling Autocomm. I have the Active Pro 7 and it works great at any speed.

DH and I have Chatterbox, which works pretty well for us. We started off with Nady, which was cheap in both price and quality. Every day, I enjoy my MP3 music through the Chatterbox and enjoy the convenience of having nothing connected to the bike. The unit is on my helmet and the player is in my pocket.

Now, we're experimenting with XM radio on the road.

Jill

I have a Chatterbox and it works good. One thing about it though is if you add an MP3 player or some other input, you have to move a switch on the box to select either the aux device or the intercom. I believe with a more expensive system like Autocomm the aux devise volume is automatically muted if you start talking, then resumes when you stop.

Other than that, it works fine and is a good low priced option. I think if I did alot of 2 up riding with tunes I would go with something better that has automatic muting.

I have had my Starcom1 system for over a year now with my 05 and I am running an XM Roady and Garmin 2610 GPS. Everything has worked flawlessly. I did a lot of research on both the Starcom and Autocom and both are excellent systems, but the Autocom was a lot more and I kept reading different problems that seemed to come up with the Autocom. I would read the BMW boards and the ST boards and kept seeing problems, which I wouldn't expect for such an expensive piece of hardware.

I have several friends that have used Chatterbox and curse them for all they are worth as far as reliablity and functionality.

As for me I am very happy with my Starcom.

I have a Chatterbox and it works good. One thing about it though is if you add an MP3 player or some other input, you have to move a switch on the box to select either the aux device or the intercom. I believe with a more expensive system like Autocomm the aux devise volume is automatically muted if you start talking, then resumes when you stop.
My Chatterbox will go from music to speech without any adjustment. When DH speaks to me, the music from the MP3 player is automatically muted until he is done speaking.

Jill

Been trying to decide what system to get for a while now. I want to use my own earphones not theirs. Can you disable theirs somehow? Inquiring minds want to know. JB

Bearly flying....that's fine for Vulcan, but what about those of us in the east (like Ont).... :huh: any suggestions....preferably without any physical instructions :dribble: ...thanks

Not to add to many choices to look at but BAEHR is another option. I had the chance to look at three different companies myself this past week-end for communicators at the Minneapolis Motorcycle Show. Collett, Baehr and Autocomm. Was very impressed with the sound of Baehr. Although at a cost. They are the more expensive of the three that was there. Just another option for you.

Devanator

One thing about it though is if you add an MP3 player or some other input, you have to move a switch on the box to select either the aux device or the intercom.
I have a Chatterbox GMRS X1 and it auto switches between devices. No switches to move. I got it mostly because a lot of other riders I ride with have them and they seemed easy to use. I'm not happy that it stops working in rain, though.

Myself and a friend bought Chatterboxes before we flew out to California to attend the races at Laguna Seca. When the units arrived we couldn't get them to function at all and ended up sending them both back. They sent new units pretty much immediately and they worked at first but by the time we were on the road in Cali they only would work intermittantly and it turns out there was a problem with my unit. After getting the third unit from them I was totally disgusted and didn't even bother with it and ended up selling it on E-Bay at a loss. My feeling is if you are going to charge top dollar for something you should make damn sure the thing works before you send it out....My next buy will be an Autocom, based solely on what I have read here on the forum and in the press....Just my 2 cents...

The site Webbikeworld had some pretty good info about the baehr and autocom units.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike-H; Universal Cycle website clicky

Don the Owner has handled pretty well all of the Comm systems, got tired of forever replacing systems because they wouldn't work. The ONLY system he will handle now is Autocomm. He uses it personally.

I am happy with my system even tho I bought it before the price drop.

I've dealt with Don for years and have been happy with his service, drop him a line, I'm sure he can look after you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Bearly... :D ..the info is appreciated.. :p ...the big bonus is no PST...if your ever out Ont way & need a place to crash (I'm in the GTA) drop me a line..herself & I always keep the doors open for wayward travelling motorcyclists :p ..during the summer the pool is always open B)

I use the Autocom Pro M1 unit. I have everything attached to it...Sirius Radio, Radar Detector, GPS, Two-Way Radio for Bike-to-Bike communications, and MP3 or IPod.

No problems as of yet. :clap:

My 2 cents worth. ;)

I now have the Softline-Online intercom and am very satisfied with it's quiet background, high grade cabling and superb performance.

I've just relocated mine to the glove box.

You owe it to yourself to check it out.

www.motorcycle-intercoms.com for US sales by Speed Collingsworth

& www.softline-online.com for the German website.

dobias <_<

I also have a chatterbox FRS x2 I am not to crazy about. It came with a lousy mic and soon after purchase I had to buy a new and "improved" mic $60. It comes with the improved mic now. It does work with my sirius raidio and cuts music out when talking. I find it works better with the ptt button. It claims to have a 3 mile range,but that claim is not even close. All in all it works as claimed (exept for range) but there are better out there for sure. my 2 pennys Dwayne