Interesting Noise At Certain RPMs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrangevaleFJR

R.I.P. Our FJR Riding Friend
Reaction score
Okay, I've heard about the tick and so I listen to my engine at certain RPMs. Once good and warm, at about 2800-2900 RPM I get this sound that sounds more like coolant being sucked up by a smooth running vacuum. More jet like liquidy more than any kind of metal hitting metal or "tick". Anyone else notice a noise like this...it sounds sorta normal to me based on engine speed/vibration but has me wondering if it might be the bearings in the front having a muffled grind/vibration...

Anyway...any input if you know anything would be cool.

You guys and your noises....... When it gits to hammerin, you'll know. Till then, ride and enjoy. ;) :D

You guys and your noises....... When it gits to hammerin, you'll know. Till then, ride and enjoy. ;) :D
that was my plan...but I just couldn't stand being one of the few that doesn't worry about something!

Your sounding paranoid :D

A wet sucking sound huh? mmmm hmmmm ......hehehe.....nevermind :)

I am not advocating riding unprotected but..... Take your FJR for a ride without your helmet or ear plugs. The bike makes lots of noises. All distinctly Yamaha! :lol: Then wear only ear plugs. You will have a whole new set of noises. Now Your helmet without ear plugs. Again a new set of noises. And then fully protected. Helmet and earplugs. Dittos! Your ear are very sensitive to change of environment. And the differences in helmets and ear plugs will make you hear different things.

As far as the 'tick' is concerned, you WILL hear it. It can be very loud. And very distinct. All the other noises are the workings of a mechanical beast. The exhaust note, the tires on the road, the cam chain, the "normal" ticking of an OHC motor, sounds from your rear end, and you have that sucking sound of the airbox. All wonderfull sounds. Listen to them, enjoy the ability to hear them. Protect it and your head! Ride your bike and learn it's sounds. Ride and enjoy it. Stop worrying...........