Metallic Noise - Timing Chain or Transmission?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck.  I hope it works out for you. 

Difficult to diagnose via web forum although we all do it.  Still, there is a tremendous collective experience and knowledge here.

I will be very interested in seeing some chain measurements i.e. length of a section of a certain number of links (pulled tight) of the "worn" chain vs a new one.  Still don't get their opinion on the CCT.  I would never opt for a manual one.  I would be afraid of setting it too tight or too loose (or forgetting to check it at all).
Yes, I agree that there is a great deal of knowledge and experience here. Some of the info has been very helpful to me.

When I brought my bike to the shop they had 3 other bikes (different makes/models) in for repair due to CCT problems. One was getting a new top-end due to bent valves. The service manager said that CCT failures is one of his top repairs. He said he's got a lot of experience with the manual CCT, and it being a simpler design tend to be more reliable. I asked him about the need to periodically adjust it, and he said not all that often. However, he plans to go over the adjustment process and typical adjustment cycle.

The shop called last night and the paint touch up was completed, so I will be getting the bike back (early) tomorrow morning. Service Manager said it is nice and quiet now... I will let those interested know about what is said after I pick up the bike. Got an hour ride home from the shop, so it will be a nice test - AAA card in hand.

Went to pick up the bike, Service Manger fired up the bike for me and it sounded nice and quiet, paid, got my gear on and started to pull out of the parking lot and get a steady, red ABS light... Back to the shop I go. Ironically, when I'm discussing the ABS problem with the Service Manager,  a 2014 FJR rolls in with cam chain noise problem. Before paying for the repair, I did a comparison look at the old chain in reference to a new one. The old one was a tad longer. I asked about adjustment intervals for the Manual CCT. The Service Manager said I could go until the next Yamaha recommended valve clearance inspection before it should need to be checked. He said just pay attention to any chain noise in the mean time.

Front ABS sensor failed, awaiting parts. Parts coming from Japan, so I was told delivery will take at least 2 weeks.

Went to pick up the bike, Service Manger fired up the bike for me and it sounded nice and quiet, paid, got my gear on and started to pull out of the parking lot and get a steady, red ABS light... Back to the shop I go. Ironically, when I'm discussing the ABS problem with the Service Manager,  a 2014 FJR rolls in with cam chain noise problem. Before paying for the repair, I did a comparison look at the old chain in reference to a new one. The old one was a tad longer. I asked about adjustment intervals for the Manual CCT. The Service Manager said I could go until the next Yamaha recommended valve clearance inspection before it should need to be checked. He said just pay attention to any chain noise in the mean time.
The front ABS sensor failed while the bike was sitting in the shop?  Service manager did NOT take the bike out for a test ride????  If he did, then the ABS sensor died between his ride and when you came to get it???   If he didn't?????  QUOTE   "If you hear the chain rattling before 24,000 miles, adjust it?"   SIGH

A failed ABS sensor?

Failed (newer design) cam chain tensioner?

Failed cam chain?

Three bits that are NOT known as common failure points on a bike that is documented as one of the most mechanically reliable motorcycles available today?  While I was going to give your shop the benefit of the doubt,  this about pegs the bullshit meter.  I  wish you luck.  

The front ABS sensor failed while the bike was sitting in the shop?  Service manager did NOT take the bike out for a test ride????  If he did, then the ABS sensor died between his ride and when you came to get it???   If he didn't?????  QUOTE   "If you hear the chain rattling before 24,000 miles, adjust it?"   SIGH
According to the mileage on the bike (i noted before I put it in the shop), they did a test ride on the bike. Seems to be just my bad luck that the sensor failed. And yes, I will be paying closer attention to the CCT adjustment, rather than waiting until 24K miles.

A failed ABS sensor?

Failed (newer design) cam chain tensioner?

Failed cam chain?

Three bits that are NOT known as common failure points on a bike that is documented as one of the most mechanically reliable motorcycles available today?  While I was going to give your shop the benefit of the doubt,  this about pegs the bullshit meter.  I  wish you luck.  
I can tell you the original (blue dot) CCT did fail on my bike - confirmed by the horrible 'marbles in a can' noise. When I inspected it, the spring tension was very weak, compared to the new CCT.  Replaced it with the green dot CCT and believed I had fixed the problem . However, I still was experiencing noise... I was also in disbelief, and why I started this post looking for help. The shop said that the chain had elongated beyond what the green dot CCT could handle - slack wise (I inspected the chain at the shop - it was longer than a new chain). The green dot CCT is still in working order, but I opted for the manual CCT. As far as the ABS sensor, I'm hoping they didn't pull one over on me, but is what it is... I did get a red ABS light pulling out of the parking lot. Prior to that, I did a short couple mile ride near the shop to ensure the cam chain issue was fixed, and the light wasn't on at that time. It was after I parked, paid and put my full riding gear on, and then left, then the red light came on.

Final post on this issue.  Front ABS pickup ring took out the sensor and blew the Main ABS fuse. Replaced the sensor, ring and fuse and bike is fixed. Corrosion seems to have been the culprit.  Time to go riding...

We appreciate you allowing us to follow this all the way to the end, and put up with our skepticism. Glad to know you are back on the road. 

WOW! What a horrible experience. I'm sorry for the problems you've had: Valves out of spec at 29k (I thought the service interval was 26k so you either didn't do them them at 26k or in 3k they went out? Or 2009 has different interval?); bad CCT; bad cam chain, corrosion on ABS ring taking out the sensor; I'm not sure I've never heard of anyone else having such issues. That's just a bummer cuz the FJR is one robust bike.

Now I'm thinking... Corrosion? In SoCal? WOW! My 2005 has zero corrosion anywhere. Did you purchase the bike from someone in the east or south?

I'm familiar with some of the larger Yamaha dealers in SoCal which one did you take it too, DelAmo (which one?) or Mission Motorsports?

WOW! What a horrible experience. I'm sorry for the problems you've had: Valves out of spec at 29k (I thought the service interval was 26k so you either didn't do them them at 26k or in 3k they went out? Or 2009 has different interval?); bad CCT; bad cam chain, corrosion on ABS ring taking out the sensor; I'm not sure I've never heard of anyone else having such issues. That's just a bummer cuz the FJR is one robust bike.

Now I'm thinking... Corrosion? In SoCal? WOW! My 2005 has zero corrosion anywhere. Did you purchase the bike from someone in the east or south?

I'm familiar with some of the larger Yamaha dealers in SoCal which one did you take it too, DelAmo (which one?) or Mission Motorsports?
Well, it's true... The bike had 27K when the 1st CCT failed. And more specifically, I live in the high-desert were I routinely ride in 100-plus F weather during the summer months. I believe the added heat had something to do with the CCT failure.  I was planning to do the valve check myself when winter hit, but the CCT failed. Put the 2nd one in myself with continued chain noise. I haven't been riding much the past year, so the bike sat for awhile... Not sure the specifics on the corrosion, but it is a 10 year old bike. The shop showed me the difference between the 2 rings, interchanged them, and when the old ring was installed, it blew the fuse. All I can say is I must have a gremlin along for the ride.

It's not heat.   I live in Phoenix and ride year round.   I put 226k miles on my first 04 FJR, have 206k miles on my second 04 FJR, and have 138k miles on my 09 FJR.  All have their original cam chains,  and the 09 the original CCT. None have had any corrosion and only minor issues.

You sure have had some weird,  bad luck.   Hope everything is sorted and you are trouble free for quite some time to come. 

It's not heat.   I live in Phoenix and ride year round.   I put 226k miles on my first 04 FJR, have 206k miles on my second 04 FJR, and have 138k miles on my 09 FJR.  All have their original cam chains,  and the 09 the original CCT. None have had any corrosion and only minor issues.

You sure have had some weird,  bad luck.   Hope everything is sorted and you are trouble free for quite some time to come. 
Roger that. Just trying to rationalize the problems. The ride home from the shop (hour plus ride) the bike ran great. Almost wanted to pass the house and keep riding... Up to now, the bike has been a stellar performing bike. Hope I got all the Gremlins knocked off and can go back to enjoying the bike again.

Seems like it's up and running again. Just keep riding it should be all behind you now. Just lots of twisty roads and fun! ;)

Ride safe.

Latest posts