Interesting sales encounter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammer Down Brown

Reaction score
I have been lurking here on the forum for a time now because I'm seriously thinking of going from my current Wing to an FJR ES.

Saturday I stopped by Ride Now Motorsport's in Concord NC. They have a 2014 non-ES model on the floor so I ask the sales guy who latched on to me, if I can roll it out into the isle and sit on it. I have a 29" inseam so reach from the seat was the first thing I wanted to learn something about. After that, I wanted to learn about the reach from the seat to the handlebars and then some other ergonomic things. I do some long touring and IBA rides so ergonomics matter to me.

The sales guy says it's fine to roll it out and sit on it so I did and then I became his worst nightmare, an informed buyer. I jokingly asked if the saddle bags come with it, (they were not on it) and he answered that he didn't know. I asked if that was his final answer and he said I could look at the website when I got home to find out.

Next I asked if we could power it up so I could see the LCD display. He said they didn't have the key. I said really? All these bikes in here and you done have the keys? What will you do if somebody buys one? He said salesmen don't have access to the keys and the batteries are not hooked up. When I asked if there was any way to road test one the answer came back a simple no. If I wanted to learn all about the bike, the best way was to buy one. I explained that I view the spending of $17,000 a little differently than deciding at the window at McDonalds and wished him luck with his sales career.

Needless to say, they will not become my regular dealer.

I have often wondered how many sales that certain dealerships lose due to lazy, uninformed, unknowledgeable and/or uncooperative sales people and bad policies about test rides. I know the latter has liability issues attached to it but the former salesmanship issues are untenable. When I bought my FJR in 2008 I not only did not buy at any of my local dealers but actually went out of state until I found a dealer who would let me test ride the bike and also seemed at least a little engaged in trying to accommodate my requests and questions.

I can't tell you how many times over the years I have walked out of a M/C dealership after going in with every intention to buy due to either the ineptness of the salesperson or due to being completely ignored.

Good luck on your search and I hope you find what you're looking for in both the bike and the dealership.

My local dealer is a gem as well. Pretty big, established Yamaha store (been here forever). From what I can tell, their priorities are as follows:

1. Snowmobiles

2. Side-by-sides

3. 4 wheelers

4. dirt bikes

5. cruisers

6. sport bikes

7. dual sports

8. what's an FJR?

I do support them though. After passing on their $850 quote for a valve check, I did it myself. Once I got it all done, I realized I did need their help. They charged me $2.50 for the missing bayonet fastener I lost
coolsmiley02.gif

Before I ever go to the dealership I have researched the product as much as possible. It does not matter if it is a car, truck, motorcycle, firearm, dishwasher, or whatever. By the time I go to physically see the product I am very informed. It is almost impossible for me to find a salesman who knows more about the product than I do. I don't hold it against them even though it is their job to know these things.

When I bought my FJR I first went to my friendly Mom and Pop dealer who I know and do business with. I had been looking at them for some time and went in to see when they would be getting them in. The "head" salesman was sitting there visiting with the other sales people so I asked about the delivery and cost of the FJRs. He didn't know he said. OK, could you maybe look into it for me as I want to buy one, I have the money and would like to trade in my ST1100 for one. Without asking what year, what condition, or mileage, he says he doubts the possibility of a trade in, he doesn't even quote me MSRP. Alright then. So I drive up the road to another Yamaha dealer, there sits a brand new FJR, the kid who approaches me knows allot about them, says a trade is no problem, would I like to take a spin. Guess who I bought from. Some people?

Before I ever go to the dealership I have researched the product as much as possible. It does not matter if it is a car, truck, motorcycle, firearm, dishwasher, or whatever. By the time I go to physically see the product I am very informed. It is almost impossible for me to find a salesman who knows more about the product than I do. I don't hold it against them even though it is their job to know these things.
I am the same way. There is not much a salesman is going to teach me about a product after I have stepped through the door to buy. You would think they would at least take a few minutes in between customers to read the sales brochure in the rack right next to their desk.

Well, the first dealership I went to wasn't very helpful at all. The one 2013FJR they had was sold and going out the door as I arrived. They couldn't tell me when they were getting another one. The second dealership was a lot better. They couldn't/wouldn't let me test ride the 2013, but they did let me take a 2008 for a test ride a couple times without any fuss. I was primarily concerned about the ergonomics and that hadn't changed so the 08 was a plenty good tester.

My dealer was actually pretty helpful back in '10... they had a brand new 2008 AE version that I took for a test drive and decided I freaking loved the bike but I wasn't really sold on the clutchless feel. Then the salesman said, "Hey, I know there is an FJR in for inspection... you want to talk to the guy that owns it?" I did, and that guy (never did catch his name) said "You want to try it?" Of course I did... after a couple high speed passes in the parking lot to feel the shifter and clutch I was sold.

Salesguy says... "Don't have a new A but we've got this other customer that has a new Connie on order who DOES have a 2008 and is taking delivery the day after tomorrow... he's a casual rider and has like six bikes so his FJR has really low mileage on it and I don't think he even unboxed the side cases yet." I worked a deal on that guy's trade in, "traded in" my VTX (actually used the dealer to sell to a private party), and he got his new Connie all at once. Got a great deal on the bike, tax break on the trade, dealer took no profit off my "trade" and took a 1% profit on the other guy's trade. The PO had chopped the tail on my new to me FJR and the dealer agreed to swap the tail just for the cost of the parts... free labor. Tech didn't do a bang up job on it the first time and I had to have them redo it...

They finally sold that AE two weeks later.

I've given them as much business as I can since then... especially since the tech that did my tail swap isnt there anymore.

Test ride a Japanese Bike from the dealer? Good luck with that, I never have been to a Japanese MC dealer that allowed test rides but some most likely do-far and few between. That's why Scooter has a job driving the truck loaded with demo bikes.

Also it is not uncommon for the dealer not to put a battery in the showroom bikes.

Never trust 9 out of 10 sales or most of the staff people to know as much as we do about the FJR.

When I bought my '06 AE used in 2009, the dealer led me around on a test ride (couldn't go anywhere he didn't go, but it was still a decent test ride). I'd already put about 2500 miles on one out west, so I was familiar with the model, and I don't actually recall asking the sales guy too many questions. They actually sold the AE new to the PO, who traded it back in a couple of years later and it sat there for a year before I came along. I know they have a '13 sitting in the showroom for $15k, but I'm not convinced any of them know much about it. No '14, and I don't expect them to get one unless someone walks in and orders it. They do my NYS inspections, and did the recall (spider), but I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable taking it to them for anything major. After all, it's not a cruiser or a sportbike or a 4-wheeler...

Ride Now Motorsport's in Concord NC is the where I bought my 09A in 2010. Why there? Best price within 300 miles. (they beat D&H Really) I don't need them for anything else. I had ridden 3 used Gen2's including one 09 prior to calling them. My bike did get back to the dealers parking lot once but not in their garage. Sometimes you have to make a heap of faith when you want the latest and greatest.

I suggest to find a used late model that a dealer will let you test ride. Seating position will probably be very close to the 14.

Have you heard of D&H in AL. They have sold lots of FJR's to forum members. Why, price mainly. If I were in the market for a 14

it would have to have no miles on it. Crate fresh. I can understand a dealer not granting test rides. I don't like it but understand it.

I experienced pretty much the same results that you did, HDB, in my search for a new bike, but I "enjoyed" it from both the BMW shop, where I actually sat on a K1300, being ignored by 3 sales people (sitting at their desks with their thumbs up their butts!), for almost an hour, before leaving, and I too, had the cash in hand. BTW, this was in May of '08, and you'd have thought they'd be desperate to make a sale, as the economic collapse had started, and I was the only guy in the store! Luckily, I decided to look at the FJR, but the first 2 trips to Renton Motorcycle resulted in the same experience. When I contacted the sales manager, and told him about it, he met with me, and although I didn't get to ride the bike, he made me an outstanding deal, that a competing Yamaha dealer told me that he could not only not meet, but that he didn't understand why the guy was even selling me the bike at that cost. Needless to say, I bought the bike the next day, and have been in love with it ever since. However, be aware that the seat of the FJR is going to be a real pain in the ass until you change it. . . It is definitely not as comfy as your Wing!

In 2012 I was looking at a used GenI at Adventure Motorsports. Test ride no problem. Asked about the differences between it and a new '12. He rolled out a new '12, 0 miles. Handed me the key and said to take 'er for a spin, which I did, first one up then 2 up.

I bought the superior GenI with 17k mi for $6k less than the '12. This dealer dug up some saddlebag liners, gave me the original full exhaust (Holeshot system already on bike), called the orig owner and got me the stock seat (Corbin on bike) and even ordered me an owners manual free of charge. Good guy! I'll probably buy my '15 from him next year.

Obviously, not all dealers are the same.

The dealer I bought my FJR from is having a test ride weekend this Friday and Saturday. I would like to test ride the new Bolt but I'm going to the Indy GP instead so there goes my shot at that. I agree with some of the other posters, I don't want a new bike that has a lot of test miles on it. Imho that's a used bike.

Guess I am just lucky, My dealer lets me ride whatever I want, knowing that I have purchased 8 or 9 bikes from them over the past 15 years. And my previous dealer did the same. I think if they get to know you and see you buying bikes and parts and accessories and stuff, they trust you. I am probably one of very few with this privilege since this is a large regional dealer, with multiple brands. .My most recent test ride was on Yamaha FX09 and that was really fun!

When I bought my FJR I first went to my friendly Mom and Pop dealer who I know and do business with. I had been looking at them for some time and went in to see when they would be getting them in. The "head" salesman was sitting there visiting with the other sales people so I asked about the delivery and cost of the FJRs. He didn't know he said. OK, could you maybe look into it for me as I want to buy one, I have the money and would like to trade in my ST1100 for one. Without asking what year, what condition, or mileage, he says he doubts the possibility of a trade in, he doesn't even quote me MSRP. Alright then. So I drive up the road to another Yamaha dealer, there sits a brand new FJR, the kid who approaches me knows allot about them, says a trade is no problem, would I like to take a spin. Guess who I bought from. Some people?
I would not have been able to resist the temptation of stopping by the first dealer to price an oil filter or some silly excuse to rub their nose in it.

Would be a common experience at dealers around here. No one sells you a bike, lucky they still let you buy one.

Back in '05, when I bought my FJR Yamaha was still on the PDP program. I did my homework and decided that I wanted one. I went to my local UJM dealer, who sells Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, and Suzuki. They don't have a Yamaha sign out front along with the other brands, but I know they sell Yamaha. I asked the salesman if he would order me one and he simply said no. Wow.

I called the dealer in the next county and they knew exactly what I wanted, were willing to talk price, and sold me an FJR. It was the first FJR they ever sold, but the salesman still knew about the bike and how to sell it. They had it for a couple of days before I could pick it up, and I found it parked inside the showroom right where people would see it when they walked in the door.

The local guy, nine years later, still doesn't have a Yamaha sign out front.
ohno-smiley02.gif