interesting thing I learned while playing with my tbs sync tool

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Makuna

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
last year I created an electronic tbs vacuum measuring tool. This last week with the nice weather but being totaling sick (I hate colds) I brought out the tool and did some work on the software. One feature I added was RPM, and another was showing the total change in vacuum per cylinder; as each cycle and the curve could be measured.

I connected it up yesterday and tested things out on the running bike. The interesting thing of note was that cylinder 3 had a larger range of vacuum than the other three (maybe 20% more in both directions), but the other three matched each other very closely. At first I thought it was tool. so I switched the hoses around and tried it again on a different channel, the same cylinder gave the wider range.

I have no idea why, maybe it breathes easier? could it be related to the tech manual stating to adjust that one first? Any thoughts?

now if I could only keep my helmet on without coughing a lung up onto the visor
uhoh.gif

In the 60k mi+ on my ’04 I only did a TBS 2 times and it made a slight change, but I’m not sure it was worth the trouble. After all, you are just adjusting the smoothness at idle, right? Both times I had to adjust the idle speed.

I had already decided to not do any TBS on my ‘2013 but now that we know that the shop has to adjust the idle with a puter, I know I’m not going to mess with a TBS.

What say you?

Later,,,De
smile.png