Intermitent misfire

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HendR1ck

Reaction score
Good day to you all!

I have some weirdness going on...

In the last week or so, after my bike has been running for a few minuets, my ABS light comes on, and it runs like it would if running out of fuel, cutting out then running. Also stalled a couple times.

Durring this time, when I use a turn signal, it blinks really fast, like when a vehicle has a blown bulb.

EVERY time I restart my bike; I runs PERFECT!

1: Why does the ABS light come on and the turn signals blink faster when I have this problem?

2: Why would it run SO BAD that it stalls, then when I restart it, no ABS light and it runs great?

Damm Gremlins........

Ignition switch flakey?

What happens if you don't touch the ignition switch, but you just use the kill switch to kill the engine and restart it?

Last edited by a moderator:
The Gen IIs did have an ignition switch recall and a ground connector recall for the main wiring harness. Either could cause your symptoms. Call or go in to any Yamaha dealer and give the service department your VIN and they can tell you if those recalls are necessary or if they have been done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thought about that too. I checked ignition switch connections. Did not touch key durring the re-starts, so I dont think the ignition switch is it (but I dont know).

Is there a fuel filter in the botom of the tank, where it could get cloged by something, then "unclog" when the motor dies and there is no fuel draw for a few seconds? Just making guesses at this point.

Thought about that too. I checked ignition switch connections. Did not touch key durring the re-starts, so I dont think the ignition switch is it (but I dont know).

Is there a fuel filter in the botom of the tank, where it could get cloged by something, then "unclog" when the motor dies and there is no fuel draw for a few seconds? Just making guesses at this point.
Has to be electrical - fuel filter or fuel delivery issues aren't going to affect blinker rake, ABS light etc. Grounding issue or ignition switch as suggested above. Good luck!

Ross

Just got off the phone with local dealer; All recall work is showing C/W.

So now, probably pull the tank and give the wireharness a good look-over? Check grounds and connections.....

Pulled the side pannels and the tank to look for anything bad. You know, a recessed pin or a wire pulled out of place. Any chafing or shorting wires. something routed wrong so it would pinch or break.

Nothing I could find. I checked all of the diagnostic codes; nothing out of whack....

Are there computer scaners that would show something the diagnostic would not show???

Its mainly when the throttle is JUST being opened/lower RPM. Then when you open the throttle quite a bit, it runs great. I thought the TPS, but it checks fine.

What the heck is wrong with my FJR?????