Is the new Tom Tom Rider FINALLY here?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spud

Reaction score
I've been watching for this thing to actually show up in the US. I've been very pleased with my Rider 2. This one has a bigger screen (4.3"). Looks like it's now available for $349.00 from HSN. Given all the mounting hardware and lifetime maps, this looks like a damn good deal for a motorcycle specific GPS. I'm thinking I could probably get $100 for mine and be into this $250...very tempting!

https://www.hsn.com/products/tomtom-rider-43-multitouch-waterproof-motorcycle-gps/7201477

tomtom-rider-43-multitouch-waterproof-motorcycle-gps-d-2013082716451572~278843.jpg

tomtom-rider-43-multitouch-waterproof-motorcycle-gps-d-00010101000000~278843_alt1.jpg

That looks like a nice unit for a good price. Is it the same as the Rider 2 other than screen size? Looks like its time to finally replace my Garmin Nuvi 550 although I hate going away from Garmin.

What's your impression of the build quality? My Rider 2 is a little brick shithouse. It's not the prettiest but it appears very rugged. Do you get that impression from the new one? Please give a review if you have a moment.

This one just got added to my list of options.

I'm looking at replacing my 2820 (can't update the maps, no route 'reverse', screen disappears during daylight hours). I'm no fan of Garmin any longer. A million models and each is deficient in some way. For instance, the Montana, a kick ass little unit, but no bluetooth! The 665, spendy as all hell and some are full of bugs despite the firmware upgrades. The zumo's (350/550) are on Garmins hitlist to be deprecated.

So what's left, the Montana with a BT dongle (ick). The TomTom, or just killing 5 birds with one stone, a smartphone with google maps.

What's your impression of the build quality? My Rider 2 is a little brick shithouse. It's not the prettiest but it appears very rugged. Do you get that impression from the new one? Please give a review if you have a moment.
Little brick shithouse describes it pretty well. It looks like the original but bigger. Comes with a lot of features. Bluetooth and all sorts of stuff. The screen can be seen in day light with no problem. Very easy to type an address in it. Works perfectly with any gloves you have on. Search google for the operating instructions for it and you can go through it all. Me Likey!! :)

smart phone with google apps or even a small notepad with dedicated app, although I'm doubting you'd have the durability of those weater resistant units..... I don't drive in crap weather much, but my Galaxy S4 is awesome for mapping... plus I just toss it in the pocket if I get caught.

I'd love to have a dedicated unit but I don't get the seat time like you guys....

I see on the TomTom, you can make/receive calls over bluetooth. Can you store and play music over the bluetooth? Does it sync with anything else (headphones, headset, etc)? Could I have it send directions to my cell phone with my cell phone sync'ed to my headset?

So what's left, the Montana with a BT dongle (ick). The TomTom, or just killing 5 birds with one stone, a smartphone with google maps.
smart phone with google apps or even a small notepad with dedicated app, although I'm doubting you'd have the durability of those weater resistant units..... I don't drive in crap weather much, but my Galaxy S4 is awesome for mapping... plus I just toss it in the pocket if I get caught.
I'd love to have a dedicated unit but I don't get the seat time like you guys....
I see on the TomTom, you can make/receive calls over bluetooth. Can you store and play music over the bluetooth? Does it sync with anything else (headphones, headset, etc)? Could I have it send directions to my cell phone with my cell phone sync'ed to my headset?
I've been searching for an excuse to buy a MC GPS unit for a while now (I guess I may be a bit of a gadget addict) but for the life of me I can't dream up a reason why I would need it unless I was traveling somewhere without cellular service. When I got my bike I started using my phone as a "temporary" measure until I shopped for a GPS (Samsung/Google phone in a pocket or plugged in in my tank bag, paired by BT to my helmet). It works almost perfectly, giving me voice turn-by-turn directions. I have no need or desire to see a screen when I have a nice voice telling me "in 400 metres, turn left onto Highway 2." Furthermore, where I live - and I think in most other North American jurisdictions - it is illegal to "operate" a GPS while riding (you have to have your destination put in before you start driving/riding).

So since I carry a phone anyhow, and it tells me where to go and how to get there, plays music, and receives calls, I can't see how I can justify a stand-alone GPS. Can anyone help me? Please...? Did I mention I like gadgets? And no, I'm not planning a trip to Siberia where I may not get a signal to make my phone work properly.

SFC, When I get a phone call it shows up on the screen. You can answer it and talk via Bluetooth. My contacts on in my iphone is sync'd to the Tom Tom. Other than that, I haven't gotten into it all that much yet. I don't do music while riding. I googled the Operating Manual online explaining everything it can do. Since I'm not in need of most of the features, I haven't dug into it that much. Find the Operating Manual and go through it.
smile.png

Type in: "Operating Manual for the Tom Tom Rider 2nd Edition". There is a PDF of it that you can download. Everything for that unit will show up including the Brochure of the feature from the Factory.

I JUST dished out for the Zumo 665LM literally minutes before I saw this post.

decisions decisions.

Last edited by a moderator:
This has been delayed for months, and while it does have some limitations compared to a Zumo, it's also half the price.

Guess it depends on what you are willing to compromise.......

..So since I carry a phone anyhow, and it tells me where to go and how to get there, plays music, and receives calls, I can't see how I can justify a stand-alone GPS. Can anyone help me? Please...? Did I mention I like gadgets? And no, I'm not planning a trip to Siberia where I may not get a signal to make my phone work properly.
Ok, I don't know the capabilities of the routing software in your phone, but I can tell you of some of the features of my Tomtom Rider Pro (the model prior to the "new" one).

I usually plan a route on my computer then transfer it to my Tomtom. This is a little "knife-and-fork"ish, but I get the best of using Google Maps and the itinerary planning of the Tomtom.

Itinerary planning enables you to choose any route you like, by "forcing" it to go down all those interesting roads, go through small villages, avoid "popular" routes. One resent route for a circular ride I planned:

TT_AlnwickLoop2.jpg

Each green numbered flag corresponds to a waypoint that I've put in.

Want to choose the quickest route, or winding roads? Avoid motorways? (This is, after all, a motor-cycle specific GPS.) Tell Tomtom.

TomtomRouteTypes.jpg

Meet a diversion (road closed, heavy traffic or whatever)? Tell Tomtom, it'll find you a way round. Works brilliantly.

Short of petrol? Want a meal? Tomtom knows a lot of useful "points of interest".

General guidance? Clear instructions (blue-toothed to helmet speakers), clear display with lane selection shown. In general, if you wish, you can happily use either just the display or the instructions, but it's generally best at complex junctions to listen to the instructions and glance at the display.

Want to know where you've been? Tell Tomtom to record your route. It creates a file that shows where you've been, you can use its created itinerary file to repeat the route, or you can (with a little jiggery-pokery) lay your route onto Google Maps, either a full map or embedded into your web page.

If interested, you can see a few of my recorded rides here.

I'm on my second Tomtom, very happy with it.

I could go on (ok, I've gone on
uhoh.gif
).

Point is, Tomtom is not a Jack of all trades, it is purpose designed as a motorcycle satnav. There is no compromise.

So since I carry a phone anyhow, and it tells me where to go and how to get there, plays music, and receives calls, I can't see how I can justify a stand-alone GPS. Can anyone help me? Please...? Did I mention I like gadgets? And no, I'm not planning a trip to Siberia where I may not get a signal to make my phone work properly.
Believe it or not, there are still places besides Siberia where you don't get cell phone reception. I refer to these places as "the best places to ride." Lots of areas in ID, WY, MT, UT, NV and CO have no cell reception. I usually ride solo, and like to do 450-700 mile days. I have a SPOT and a GPS. Both of those work anywhere you can see the sky. I shut my phone off, pack it on the bike. I hit the SPOT button every hour or so, or when I change routes, giving my wife a text that I'm OK and my location. I use the GPS really just to keep track of distance to next town or turn and estimated time of arrival. It's a luxury but I really like having that information.

Now that's what I hadn't contemplated, mcatrophy! Also good points from Spud - thanks guys! Maybe I can now justify another gadget binge.
smile.png

I have both TomTom and Garmin brands of "other" products (an old car TomTom, a Garmin handheld [hiking] GPS, and a Garmin cycling computer). They both have their strengths and weaknesses but I wouldn't hesitate for a second to buy another TomTom product.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another thing....the Tom Tom Rider I have now is built really tough...I never worry about it in pouring rain, rough roads, etc. I pull it off at the end of the day and throw it in a bag. I'm sure the Garmin MC units are the same...but you just don't have to be as careful as you would with a phone.

Had mine since early July, like it a lot. Easy to read screen, touch screen works very well with gloves, good directions (takes a bit of time to adjust from Garmin's way of doing things). Definitely worth it in my opinion....

SFC, When I get a phone call it shows up on the screen. You can answer it and talk via Bluetooth. My contacts on in my iphone is sync'd to the Tom Tom. Other than that, I haven't gotten into it all that much yet. I don't do music while riding. I googled the Operating Manual online explaining everything it can do. Since I'm not in need of most of the features, I haven't dug into it that much. Find the Operating Manual and go through it.
smile.png

Type in: "Operating Manual for the Tom Tom Rider 2nd Edition". There is a PDF of it that you can download. Everything for that unit will show up including the Brochure of the feature from the Factory.
Thanks. I should have thought about downloading the operating manual.
fool.gif