Is the preload on the rear shock on a ES adequate ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odexplorer

Reaction score
I am thinking about purchasing a 2019 FJR1300 ES. This will be my third FJR. I have owned a GEN1 and currently a GEN2. In both cases,  I have replaced the stock rear shock on both with a Ohlins.

Is the preload adjustment on the rear shock of a ES adequate ? Can it compensate for a heavy rider and loaded luggage?

I had an Ohlins on my old 2003.  Very happy with it.

Currently ride a 2018es, much better suspension than the modified ‘03.

I’m about 200lbs with my gear on and known to run hard.

Canadian FJR

Thanks for the feedback. I really like my current setup but it's time for a new ride!

But, I don't want to end up looking for a aftermarket rear shock on the ES.... if one even exists.

I have talked with other forum inmates about the ES.  I have an 09 with a Penske and GP Suspension up front.  I am told the ES is good for one up and moderate loads, after that after market stuff is better.  The Penske and GP is serviceable.   Nobody knows if the ES is serviceable.  Some are buying non ES models and using aftermarket suspension.

I like my Penske and GP set up.  The bike is on rails in the turns and does not suffer from sloppy handling.  If I was in the market I'd go with an non-ES model and swap out my suspension.

Riding single with loaded luggage you're probably fine depending on your weight. The preload adjustment is more than adequate on the ES, it's the rear spring rate that is marginal.

The ES Tenere suffers from a similar under-sprung shock. Several inmates over there have changed out the stock spring with a heavier Race Tech version with good success.

Like Fontanaman, my '15A also has GP forks and a Penske. I have two springs for the shock and swap to a heavier one for two-up loaded touring.

~G

I am thinking about purchasing a 2019 FJR1300 ES. This will be my third FJR. I have owned a GEN1 and currently a GEN2. In both cases,  I have replaced the stock rear shock on both with a Ohlins.

Is the preload adjustment on the rear shock of a ES adequate ? Can it compensate for a heavy rider and loaded luggage?
A “heavy rider” could be anywhere from 230 to 400 lbs and loaded luggage could be anywhere from 20 to 80 lbs depending if a trunk has been added.  I did a bunch of sag measurements on my 14ES and when the rear sag exceeded 50mm with a 365lb total load, I felt both ride quality and handling quickly deteriorated as the weight increased....so if your total weight is 360lbs or lower, you probably will be very happy with the OEM ES shock, otherwise go with the A model and upgrade the shock to fit your weight and riding style.

Tom Melchild was a 350 pound dude with a fuel cell and fully rally trim. He thought the ES was more than enough.  I'm about 50 pounds lighter with same setup and think so too.  The ES has been properly sprung since 2014 compared to earlier non ES IMO.

Don't judge it until you try it for yourself! If it doesn't feel right you can change it to firmer or softer depending on requirements at the time. I love having that adjustability. I'm sure it will be able to handle whatever you do with it. I'm 220 lbs and with the wife on the back, side cases and top case packed, i can still carve through the twisties with no problem at a pretty brisk pace. I've had no problems with my 2014 es suspension at all.

I'm around 220 lb with full gear, and I found that the 1p pre-load is perfect. When I add my 180 lb wife as well as weekend luggage (400+ lb total) I typically pick the 2p+luggage pre-load on my 2016 ES and that works great. On shorter trips I may leave it at the 1p pre-load setting, even with my wife on the back, and it works just fine in town. In summary I really like the ES suspension and have not reached any limitations so far...

I am no lightweight. And the wife is 5’10. My 2018ES is good to go with both of us and the bags loaded to bursting. All day long. 

I have owned an A and an ES back to back. Loved them both. I really like flicking a switch when the wife is getting on, or when I am hitting the mountains. But the A was easy to adjust too. Both more than adequate for two up. 

[SIZE=11pt]In this thread on October 16[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]th[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] I said, “If I was in the market I'd go with an non-ES model and swap out my suspension.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Fast forward to December 2019 and I bought a 2017 ES. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Fast forward to June 2020 and 7,000 miles later and the ES is a disappointment.  I should have bought an A model and stuck with performance suspension components.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Let me give some background.  I rode an 09 FJR 107,000 miles and at 30,000 I changed to a Penske 8983 shock with an 850 spring and a GP fork cartridge with stiffer spring.  The 09 with the aftermarket suspension was very solid.  It put a big smile on my face in difficult circumstances such as rough pavement, at 50 mph +, mid turn corner correction.  Just a little more counter steer and the bike complied.  There was no unwanted chassis movement and it got me out of tight spots with aplomb - it was simply amazing.  The shock movement was fluid and controlled chassis movement perfectly.  It was a bit stiff solo, but got better with luggage.  Once set I never messed with it. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]With that as my experience, next is my 17 ES experience.  I bought the ES because I like the color Raven, it is a pretty bike, I assumed ES would be okay and ES would solve the stiff riding solo issue.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]With preload set to 1, aka one helmet, the lowest preload setting, sag is about 1 inch, without me on it.  The rear shock has 4.9 inches of travel thus at suspension sag should be about 1.25 inches.  It is generally accepted sag should be 25-30% of the total shock travel or about 1.225 - 1.47.  It is impossible to achieve a recommended sag level with one rider at preload setting one, aka one helmet.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Here are some measurements.  Preload setting definitions:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]1 means one helmet, 2 means one helmet plus luggage, 3 means two helmets, 4 means two helmets plus luggage.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Sag measurement with me on the bike.  I weigh 225 sans clothing.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]1 - 1 15/16 inches;  2 - 1 13/16 inches; 3 - 1 7/16 inches;  4 - 1 1/8 inch[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]For me the ES is under-sprung and the ES is built for comfort and convenience, not performance.  Bryan Glynn who hosts Two Wheel Obsession has some good observations in this[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]ES Video[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt].  He notes the 4 preload settings are not linear, leaving a gap in the middle.  This is very interesting and my data above shows this.  There is a big jump in stiffness between one helmet + luggage and two helmets. He also notes ES is not equal to aftermarket suspension as I am familiar with.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]I have to use setting 3 to achieve a recommended sag setting.  Sadly, the ES is just as stiff solo as the 09 when the shock is set to optimum sag/damping and the ES rear shock is not as fluid or stable as the performance suspension on my 09.  It even slaps me in the butt.  I have generally used setting 2 during my 7000 miles on the ES.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]I have had a couple of "interesting moments" on the ES.  Both times the suspension was set to setting 2 with Standard 0 damping.  Each time I was in mid turn on a bumpy road at 50 mph or so and the chassis was moving around unexpectedly.  This was quite a surprise - a big revelation - a what the heck moment.  The bike is not on the rails and it is not as steady as the 09 FJR.  The performance is lacking.  I was not close to falling down, just the chassis moving around unexpectedly.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]My next move a 750# spring.  The bet is it will not overwhelm the damping system.  I wish the FJR ES had infinite preload settings from 0 to 100%.  As it is now I can only select settings in the lower third or upper third of the preload.  With the 750# spring I am betting I can set it to one helmet with luggage and the preload will be somewhere in the middle one third that is currently unavailable with the stock 685 pound spring.[/SIZE]

The rest of the 17 is terrific, the 6 speed tranny, lighter clutch pull, great fuel economy, the smoothness of the drive train package and the cruise control.  The ES is just short of my expectations.

[SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Hope this helps if you are seeking an opinion on the ES.   Please note my opinion is based on having had performance suspension, my weight, my expectations, and the types of roads I ride on.  I want my sports car back.[/SIZE]

Great input, please report back after you test the new spring.

Canadian FJR
Sure.  First I have to find a spring.  Hopefully one is available.  Also have to check the dealer for the installation price.  I don't have the tools to do the work.

And thanks.

Good feedback Fontanaman.

Be careful though...SkooterG will come along bottom fishing and offer you $100 to take that POS '17 off your hands! :bike:

~G

Edit: Some of the boys on the Tenere forum have the same comments. They have found a replacement spring from Race Tech and IIRC, go up either 50#  or 100# in spring rate. The stock dampening seems to handle the spring rate increase fine.

Update. Race Tech just called. They do not have a spring for the ES. I asked about the Ténéré and he said it is a completely different shock. Much longer and I was trying to compare a SUV to a small sports car. Said he'd love to sell me something but had nothing for sale. Nice they called me back.

Great write up, but I am not quite following. You start by saying that sag is only 1" with one helmet, and then continue to say that you measure it at almost 2" a few paragraphs down. Do you mean 1" before you saddle up, and then 2" with you in the saddle?