Is this a trivial servicing job?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamaha1300rider

Reaction score
My fjr is coming up to 5 years old and one job I am conscious of needing doing is lubing the accelerator cables, although there is no sticking. Despite doing a search I can't find this topic in this forum so presumably it *IS* a trivial job

I've borrowed the picture below from turbodave to show in green the handlebar mount:

Acc_Cable_Mount3.jpg

Before taking the handle mount apart can someone please confirm:

1. that it's easy getting it back together again and I'm not going to regret taking it apart- the parts catalogue suggests there's nothing but the 2 cables inside

2. the best way to lube the cables - I do have a cable lube gadget which you attach to the cable but not sure if the other ends of the cables have to be disconnected in order to use?

3. what you guys use as a lubricant (on the cables of course!)?

TIA

The job is easy to do, though the throttle assembly is weird to reassemble. Your cable luber will not work however-the housing is slotted so that it won't seal around the cable. I just raise the cable up and dribble some light oil in and let gravity do it's thing-it will eventually get to where it's needed.

I got some cable lube stuff - comes in a squeeze bottle with a needle like metal attachment. I did put paper towels at the engine side of the cables and squirted the stuff into the cable - easy job. Good thing I had the paper towels stuffed in at the other end!

Light oil such as Hoppe's gun oil is fine. Like Rad says, drip it on and let it run down.

This isn't trivial but hardly a crucial maintenance item either, especially if it works as is. Just one of those occasional to-do things. Grab a phillips and do it. :)