Is this normal?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrebandit

Reaction score
I've been searching for a used 2007 FJR and came across one that is very clean and has less than 3K miles. I had a friend go see the bike today because its about 1000 miles from my home. Below is what he had to say....

the bike is at a dealership and the people there have been very honest with me. I've got plenty of photos of the bike and it looks great. During the conversations I've had with the dealer, they told me the bike was a bit cold natured. It starts right up but takes a minute or so to warm up so it will rev cleanly. I have ZERO experience with fuel injected bikes and have ridden only one FJR and I don't recall it behaving that way. Is the description below something I should be concerned about? Like I said, this bike is many miles away from me so I don't have the luxury of listening it to myself before the purchase. Tell me what you think and what is normal (or not normal) for these bikes.

Bike looks super clean! On the front air dam right behind the front tire, below the radiator near the ground, there are four rock chips, one about the size of a dime and three others a little smaller. It's exactly where you expect to see something like that and inevitable in the first mile I am sure. Especially around here.
There was a small smear of dirt/oil just above the sight glass near the top of the case but the seal is good. Looks like splatter from a couple drops spilled while servicing, as it's near above the drain plug too. If it was the lower case or I could see a potential source I might look harder, but it's just bullshiznit. No worries there. No leaks in shaft, rad, suspension parts, nothing. Ultra clean. Crawled all over it before/after running it.

The oil looked a shade dark to me, so you might want to inquire about a servicing. That could maybe be the shiznitty weather and bad light outside, or even the type of oil used. I really don't know much about that stuff but my new oil was always lighter in color. But again, that's just me looking at the sight glass and the plug.

A tiny TINY chip (match head) in the hard bag that it took some searching to find. I would never have seen it. To be honest, I think it's a paint flaw as you can't feel it. Bags are beautiful and have all OEM Yammy liners and parts. A sweet setup.

I ran the bike and played with everything and everything works. Heat cycled it to get the fans running and boy they really work! A ride was out of the question even if I felt ok with that (which I don't) as it was raining. It was also about 50 degrees, so there was a few light burbles on rapid decel - as I understand this is typical with EFI on cold wet days. Other than that, runs great. It's been ridden a couple of times in the last few weeks.

Other than the four rock chips, I say hands down showroom clean. Hard to believe it's even got the 2600 miles on it or whatever (didn't write it down as I'm sure you got it).

One thing you might want to know is that the PO is ***** co-worker's neighbor, so the co-worker (forgot his name) stopped by and said he knows the bike and owner well. Babied, stored in heated garage, blue haired grandma only took it to church, etc. If you inquired I'm sure you could get the story too.

I honestly can't think of anything else. I didn't inquire about the price or anything, but I got the whole "we are selling it at no profit" thing, but looks like a really good super clean unit. That's a really cool bike. They seem like nice folks, real casual there.
Thanks,

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
I would not buy a used bike without my own test ride. I've learned this through the college of hard knocks.

I don't think its that normal for a stock Gen II to be cold blooded at 50 degrees. Maybe if its had ecu mods...

It appears that you live in a relatively populated area. Is this bike really a better deal than something you could find nearby with a little work?

Your cold start concern is the way the bike is designed. There is a cold start cycle that prevents overrevving while the bike is in warmup mode (it is trying to give the engine enough time to get some oil flowing before it allows quick engine operation). So if you try to blip the throttle on the bike before the ECM goes over to normal operation, the blipping of the throttle will sound stuttered. So, to answer your question, your bike is normal.

If it is what you want buy it. Get the YES warranty added and drive home happy. Pick a nice weekend and go get it. The bike is normal. When you get it home change the oild and during the 1000 miles you will have to run at least 3 tanks of gas through the system that will clean it out. Like NIKE says "JUST DO IT" :yahoo:

As to the dark oil, there always remains a small amount of "used" oil when the oil is changed if drained on the centerstand. Drain on sidestand, when it stops flowing you can move side to side to get the last of it out. Just be prepared to add more than the 4.25 qts.

+1 on the comments about the ECU program to limit agressive exercising of the trottle, but I also think that a couple tanks of fresh fuel laced with the appropriate amount of techtron or other quality fuel system cleaner coupled with some 'spirited' riding :assassin: will clear up any buildup in the injectors, combustion chambers or such. When any of my bikes sit for more than a few weeks without regular riding, it seems that I need to 'get the cobwebs out' I wouldnt worry about the oil color. Congrats on the bike and go for it!