Is your helmet the right size?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LgFJR

Reaction score
Found this interesting........only been wearing helmets that are too large for 52 years........lol.........I actually bought a helmet one size smaller after watching the vid and it works better. No bouncing around in the wind and quieter as well....

Good video.

I realized when I upgraded from the SHOEI Multitec to Neotec, I actually had to go up one size. I think SHOEI changed the inside shape of the Neotec helmet as compared to the Multitec.

I initially bought the same size Neotec as the Multitec - the result, I had a terrible headache after just 2 hours of riding. I returned to Revzilla the next day, and they were kind enough to accept the return. One size up fits perfectly..

Puppychow, the problem with the Neotec is that the cheek pads were thick and hard as a rock. It felt like my face was in a vise. I had the same problem until I took the foam out and swapped it with softer commercial foam. Worked like a champ.

Puppychow, the problem with the Neotec is that the cheek pads were thick and hard as a rock. It felt like my face was in a vise. I had the same problem until I took the foam out and swapped it with softer commercial foam. Worked like a champ.
I had read about the cheek pads online and had ordered the roomier cheek pads when I bought the helmet the first time. Still had a problem. I found I had to upsize to not be in pain. I re-used the roomier cheek pads I had ordered in the new upsized helmet.

Old story worth repeating:

Pillion and myself went into Naults Honda in Windham NH, a local Power Sports shop to look at helmets. The game plan was to try them on, then go home and order online. The staff left us alone to decide what we liked without bugging us, then offered to fit the helmets. The were actually knowledgeable and helpful
blink.png
They helped get the basic fit correct, then helped fine tune the fit with various cheek pads and actually gave us a great fit. Now I felt a bit guilty after they spent so much quality time with us and actually gave us the correct fitting helmet. I never had a helmet fit so well. So, I told them what price I could get the same helmet for online and asked if they could help close the price gap. The staff went and talked to the boss (making me feel like I was in a car dealer's lot). But, surprise, surprise, they actually met the online price and further more, swapped the cheek pads for some smaller pads that were in stock at no cost.

To make a short story long, it may be worth while stopping by a good shop and see what they can do to help you get you a good fit. I never would have known about or bothered with trying cheek pads without their help. I always thought I was getting a good fit but discovered there is -- better. Our last set of helmets came from the same shop and they gave us the same fitting session and the same online deal.

That Arai guy is an asshole in real life.

I had to deal with him at dealer expo and can't stand him.

Probably not true everywhere but I thought Arai dealers were supposed to have personnel trained on fitting the Arai helmets.

I have a narrow head and my local Yamaha dealer did a great job getting me fitted to an Arai Profile.

That Arai guy is an asshole in real life.

I had to deal with him at dealer expo and can't stand him.
Bruce has helped me many times with fitting helmets. He was always very professional and polite.

Since he was trying to sell you a helmet, sure he was nice.

When I asked him about proper training they need to provide to dealers on how to fit helmets, he turned to total ass.

I got fitted by The Service Pavilion guy at the DC show. He kept pushing to buy from them as apparently many people get fitted then shop around for the lowest price.I was surprised as the right size was a medium not large.I just got the new helmet from them(Signet Q) and at $589 delivered with a pinlock included I don't think the price was bad at all.