It bears repeating...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denver_FJR

Reaction score
I appreciate those who post their "mea culpa" moments. I try to learn from them and now is my turn to give back.

Prepping for a trip and mounted a new Avon Storm Ultra on rear. Headed out to run errands and pick up trip items. About two miles from home making a right turn in 2nd gear at probably 15~20 mph, applied gas coming out of turn and hear we go... back end starts to slide out, catches, then a nice little high side.

I've had couple sets of tires mounted on the FJR before and a set on previous bike as well. I've never slipped a new tire during scrub in and even during normal riding I've rarely slipped a tire other than usual places like painted cross walk strips or some oily intersections. Looking back I see the chain of events that led up to this:

• Due to past experience, I had become complacent to risk associated with new tires.
  • The ride out of my neighborhood up to the right turn had practically no lean due to the low speed limits. The amount of lean needed for the right turn put the contact patch on virgin rubber.
  • I certainly didn't "whack" the throttle, but it was obviously too much.

In the future I will dedicate a parking lot session where I can scrub in new tires at increasing lean angle in controlled manner. Searching forum for tire scrubbing advice I've heard folks mention "just take it easy" (very true) and even more casual response like having new tires mounted during trip, then resuming riding two up and never had a problem.

Respect those new skins or suffer the consequences!

Ouch.

I'm lucky, have 3 miles of dirt road to 'abrade' the near tire... Do a few weaves and all is scrubbed in before hitting asphalt.

Tx for sharing!

any pix?

Actually the break-in of new tires is dependent on heat cycles. You must get them up to temp and let them cool down. Rinse and repeat. At least 2 of these heat cycles need to be done before a tire is pushed.

thanks for sharing the story. I'll be getting new tires soon before a trip to Michigan.

I'll op I with a thanks Goethe reminder, too. I'll be putting a new set on next week in preparation for a trip.

One way to do this is to go to an empty parking lot and really really counter weight the bike, and ride around in a tighter and tighter circle.

Counter weight it as dramatically as you can: slide your butt off the seat, put all your weight on the outside foot peg, lean the bike in for all it's worth.

Of course we gradually get out to the edge. Slowly but surely the edges will get scuffed in completely.

The advantage here is that if there is a mishap, it's at parking lot speeds.

Good yer okay Denver, and yeah I'm just concurring with you, it really is the best way to do it, those new tires can be slick as hell initially.

Actually the break-in of new tires is dependent on heat cycles. You must get them up to temp and let them cool down. Rinse and repeat. At least 2 of these heat cycles need to be done before a tire is pushed.
I totally disagree with that. It has to do with scuffing, or roughing up the new smooth rubber.

I have taken a Scotch Brite pad & some brake parts cleaner and wiped down the tread area with it. Seemed to help. Usually I just ride it like you did. Glad your ok.

On new tires, I go easy in the turns for the first 500 km... not to mention that the first 10-15 minutes of EVERY ride I let my tire warm up before pushing the bike hard.

I totally disagree with that. It has to do with scuffing, or roughing up the new smooth rubber.
...and rubbing off the oily residues used in the molding process

...and rubbing off the oily residues used in the molding process
Other than Old Wives Tale, or Internet Rumor, I've never found any official or independent verification of that particular line of reasoning.

It may sound (and be) really stupid ,but I hand scuff any new tire with 100 grit until it's dull (no shine at all) then slow weaves until I'm comfortable, overkill I know but worth the trouble IMHO JAG

I appreciate those who post their "mea culpa" moments. I try to learn from them and now is my turn to give back.

Prepping for a trip and mounted a new Avon Storm Ultra on rear. Headed out to run errands and pick up trip items. About two miles from home making a right turn in 2nd gear at probably 15~20 mph, applied gas coming out of turn and hear we go... back end starts to slide out, catches, then a nice little high side.

I've had couple sets of tires mounted on the FJR before and a set on previous bike as well. I've never slipped a new tire during scrub in and even during normal riding I've rarely slipped a tire other than usual places like painted cross walk strips or some oily intersections. Looking back I see the chain of events that led up to this:

• Due to past experience, I had become complacent to risk associated with new tires.
  • The ride out of my neighborhood up to the right turn had practically no lean due to the low speed limits. The amount of lean needed for the right turn put the contact patch on virgin rubber.
  • I certainly didn't "whack" the throttle, but it was obviously too much.

In the future I will dedicate a parking lot session where I can scrub in new tires at increasing lean angle in controlled manner. Searching forum for tire scrubbing advice I've heard folks mention "just take it easy" (very true) and even more casual response like having new tires mounted during trip, then resuming riding two up and never had a problem.

Respect those new skins or suffer the consequences!
Thanks, I mounted up two new ContiMotions on Sunday. Bike hasn't moved an inch since then, and when it does I'll take the time to scuff them in at a local parking lot!!!

Always good advice about taking it gentle the first few turns. I try to go easy with the lean angle while increasing my lean after a few turns on each side of the tires. Within 20 miles of riding twisty roads those new skins are scrubbed, rock and roll. Helps to live in the hills. :lol:

Your line about being complacent is the true message here, thanks for the real world reminder.

Sportrider magazine had an interview with Pirelli Tires' racing manager a few years back. It's both enlightening and left me scratching my head.

https://www.sportrider.com/tips/146_0810_how_to_warm_up_new_tires/viewall.html

Knoche says that the days of using mold release compounds on the tread are over, and that racers weaving back and forth to warm up the sides of the tires isn't necessary. But then he says that new tires shouldn't be slippery at all, unless there's still some goop on them from mounting them on the tire machine.

But new STREET tires are definitely more slippery for the first several miles. So I wonder if there's a difference between race and street compounds at play here?

Just my own theory, but I believe that the tire snot that we use to help ease the tire on the rim and set the bead is the slippery stuff. I always wash it off before putting the wheel back on the bike. I believe it is especially important to wash that stuff off if the roads are wet for the first ride on a new set of tires.

This has been interesting reading. I do lots of track days and I always put on new tires before going to the track. I usually ride on DOT rubber, usually medium compound, meaning they're street-legal tires intended for the track. I have also used new OEM street tires, meaning the tires that came with the bike from the mfg.

My method for breaking in new tires is simple. I take it easy on the turns for one lap, but I accelerate hard (throttle pinned sometimes) and I brake hard (almost exclusively front brake only), the goal being to build heat into the tires. During this warm-up lap, I can feel the tires slip a little through the turns, especially on cooler days. I don't get anywhere close to the edges on this "out" lap. After one lap, usually about 3.25 miles, it's WFO, taking it to the tires' edges, dragging the knees, hammering the brakes to the point of getting the rear wheel light and dancing around.

I say this to make the point that the key factor in having grippy tires is building heat into them; cold tires equals slippery tires. Every track day rider knows this, or learns it the hard way. A high percentage of crashes occur on the "out" lap. This is why I'm tempted to buy a set of tire warmers like a lot of the other track riders use. They come in from a session and put on the tire warmers. When they're ready to go out for another session, the last thing they do is take off the warmers. That first lap out can be a whole lot faster because they don't have to build heat into the tires.

This is also why tire pressures run at the track are different. For example, Yamaha recommends 36 psi for both front and rear for my R1. At the track, I usually have the front at 27 psi and the rear at 25 psi. On a cool day at a track with a smooth surface, I've actually had the rear at 21 psi. This is done to get more heat into the tire through flexing of the tire.

So how do I ride my FJR based on this? With new tires, I ride carefully for about five miles, and then do whatever I want. If it's really cold out, make that seven or eight miles. Tires lose heat pretty quickly, so if I stop for longer than ten or fifteen minutes with aforementioned new tires, the same rules apply.

That's my $.02.

I don't do slow speed parking lot stuff on new tires because I'm not sure how much i can trust them. I k ow there is no mold release on them, so i ride them to my closest twisty road that's filled with sweepers.

The tires warm up on the way there, I take it easier than usual the first few turns and then drop the hammer. The tires get into new meat quick when they are pushed.

The only tires I ever had a problem with was a set of Bridgestones that I was taking it easy on. I gave a little too much throttle coming out of a parking lot and she came loose. I rode straight to the sweeper road and worked them. Never had a problem since.

I guess whatever makes you most comfortable. Who cares what anyone else thinks?