Its here! www.assistancelist.com - The FJR Assistance List

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks muchly for the kind words. Really, it's very much appreciated. Their is more to come with the Assistance List though. Wait and see.

I'd like to ask you all a favour if you've been the recipient of help from another forum member. I've added a comments box to the contact page: https://www.assistancelist.com/contact.php and would love a testimonial or a short story of how it helped you. Maybe you'd just like to thank another forum member who helped you out. Either way, go for it, you don't even have to sign in.

Since the site was launched this past Monday it's seen steady growth with about 25-40 new participants, across multiple forums, signing up every day. I can easily see the list having 5000 people across the different forums by the end of the year. The more people that are on, the more useful the list becomes. Keep in mind this is no longer an 'on road' only list. It applies equally if not more so to those of us who venture off the beaten path relying on our Spot Trackers only for help. Share it, post on the other forums you belong too etc.

Thanks for all your work on this Bungie. I am one who has benefitted from it, and darn thankful it existed.

Question: I didn't see when I signed up where I enter info on what type of assistance I can offer a fellow biker member.

OK.....I tried to enter myself into the list and it keeps saying I have a bad location in VT where I live. What can I do to correct this??

Tom

Good job Bungie! Much more than the web based solution I was suggesting when you took over the list from Gypsy.

Although I'm not a Spot user, the integration of the Spot Help messaging is a stroke of brilliance!

The email login scheme, on the other hand, ummm... not so much. While I understand the rational behind it, IMO it is very inconvenient. I'd much prefer a email/password authentication. For me, the email I use is on my phone. I went to the website on a desktop, the site sent an email to my phone so I had to open a webmail window to access the link. Not really all that difficult, but very inconvenient. Does anyone else find this login method inconvenient?

Bungie, I'll email you with some issues I've found and some features that I'd think would be nice to have.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks for all your work on this Bungie. I am one who has benefitted from it, and darn thankful it existed.Question: I didn't see when I signed up where I enter info on what type of assistance I can offer a fellow biker member.
It's the one stumbling block in registration, before you can enter a location, I want to verify your email address. If you check your mail, there is a link back to the Assistance List. When you click it, the site knows you haven't completed your location/assistance stuff and will automatically take you there.

Thanks for signing up!

OK.....I tried to enter myself into the list and it keeps saying I have a bad location in VT where I live. What can I do to correct this??
Just enter a location close by that is on the list. No big deal, when you request help, it contacts everybody within a 100 mile radius. Close is good
biggrin.png

The email login scheme, on the other hand, ummm... not so much. While I understand the rational behind it, IMO it is very inconvenient. I'd much prefer a email/password authentication. For me, the email I use is on my phone. I went to the website on a desktop, the site sent an email to my phone so I had to open a webmail window to access the link. Not really all that difficult, but very inconvenient. Does anyone else find this login method inconvenient?
Bungie, I'll email you with some issues I've found and some features that I'd think would be nice to have.
Thanks Jeff! Please, send me a list and I'll get things taken care of that I can.

As for the email hokey-pokey, ya PIA, no argument, and maybe in the near future, I'll add password based authentication. This method was quick and dirty and met all the needs of the list. I've got some bigger fishies to fry with some of the features first.

When I clicked it, it just sends me back to fill out my location, which I did the first time. So even if I had been able fill out my assist offerings, where is the edit feature for the assist offerings, you know in case my trailer blows an engine or my tent space is lost to a sinkhole.

On a sidenote, does it take a bit of time before your name shows up on the list? Or does the person who's looking up the list never see their own name on it?

When you click it, the site knows you haven't completed your location/assistance stuff and will automatically take you there.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I clicked it, it just sends me back to fill out my location, which I did the first time. So even if I had been able fill out my assist offerings, where is the edit feature for the assist offerings, you know in case my trailer blows an engine or my tent space is lost to a sinkhole.

On a sidenote, does it take a bit of time before your name shows up on the list? Or does the person who's looking up the list never see their own name on it?
If that is the case, it is not saving your location. Please be sure after you enter you location and pick it from the list, you are pressing TAB to accept it. The tan colored 'My Location' at the top of the screen will change when you have successfully picked your location, even before you save it.

Assistances are associated with your location, no location, no assistances.

You will not show up on the list until you have successfully saved your location and added at least one assistance to it. You can edit EVERYTHING related to you on the site.

Just enter a location close by that is on the list. No big deal, when you request help, it contacts everybody within a 100 mile radius. Close is good
biggrin.png
There are no locations even close to VT. Any idea as to how to get it to take me?? And thanks for working on this Bungie.

biggrin.png
There are no locations even close to VT. Any idea as to how to get it to take me?? And thanks for working on this Bungie.

I just tried Wallingford, VT and it was found by google maps, but perhaps it's not a recognized city or town (the lookup list ONLY returns cities/towns, not townships or counties). Perhaps you could use Rutland, only about 15 miles away.

EDIT:

I just tried the Assistance List directly, Wallingford VT most certainly does exist in the lookup. Type a partial, then pick it. Once picked, press TAB. You will see your current location at the top of the screen change to Wallingford even before you press submit.

Tried this Bungie but it still gives me that Wallingford, VT is not a valid location. Can't get it to pick Rutland, VT (11 miles away) or even Burlington, VT (60 miles away). I guess the state of Vermont is not a valid location?

EDIT: I tried it once again and still can NOT get it to pick my location or any location in VT. I can pick Wallingford, VT from the drop down menu but when I hit TAB it just moves me to the date area. The SAVE LOCATION button is lit up but all I get when I hit it is that my location is invalid. Maybe I should give up??

Tried this Bungie but it still gives me that Wallingford, VT is not a valid location. Can't get it to pick Rutland, VT (11 miles away) or even Burlington, VT (60 miles away). I guess the state of Vermont is not a valid location?
Lets move this to email please. Send me an email to my assistancelist.com address. It's on the contact page.

Vermont's awesomeness is such a top secret affair that it's not allowed by law to exist in any database.

Never mind Bungie, I found the problem. Once I used Chrome instead of IE 8 everything worked. I'm now entered on the list. Don't you just love Microsoft?? NOT

Never mind Bungie, I found the problem. Once I used Chrome instead of Windows Explorer 8 everything worked. I'm now entered on the list. Don't you just love Microsoft?? NOT
I was having the same issue on my work computer running xp. I tried again at home with my vista laptop and it accepted my location with no problem. Damn computers! :)

<<<<< dipshit to the left here finally got it to work.

I'M ON THE LIST!!!!

Would suck not to be able to help someone else in return.

Never mind Bungie, I found the problem. Once I used Chrome instead of Windows Explorer 8 everything worked. I'm now entered on the list. Don't you just love Microsoft?? NOT
I was having the same issue on my work computer running xp. I tried again at home with my vista laptop and it accepted my location with no problem. Damn computers!
smile.png
It looks like I'm having the same issues.

I don't have a smart phone. Out on the bike I carry a printed hard copy of the assist list (which I am listed on) and my dumb old cell phone. Is there a way to access and print the list any more?

@1911 -- If all else fails, you could print a screen shot from your home PC before leaving...
--G
@1911 -- If all else fails, you could print a screen shot from your home PC before leaving...
--G
I can't even get that far.

To clarify my first post, I'm dealing with 2 issues.

1-I can't get past "save location". I'm not using the correct net surfboard/browser thingie i guess, like Harald and snikr.

2-Even if I get past issue #1 by using another machine or updating/changing my software will it do me any good out on the road without a smartphone? Will the list be too big to print and carry?

I appreciate the work that has gone into the assist list but it's looking like technology is passing me by.

Borrowed a slightly less obsolete laptop. Everything worked perfectly. No problem to print. Cool.

THANKS Bungie and forum.