It's Not Setup For IBA

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky3008

Finally got my collarbone fixed!!!
Reaction score
Someone made this comment when referring to the accident on a FJR in Arizona but I didn't think posting this in that thread was right...

I have seen this type of comment before and have wondered why it is people seem to think they need their bike "setup" to do long distance? GPS, Sound, Garage Door openers, Electrical Outlets, heated grips, etc are all "neat" items but I wouldn't say any of this stuff is "needed" for long distance.

I have rented many cars in business travels over the years that have GPS and I have never found them useful. Many years of driving over the road and reading a map I guess spoiled me but they do work just fine.

Sound, an ipod and an ear piece work fine or no sound at all is usually how I do it.

All the other stuff are farkles that to me don't make or break a long distance rider...

Since I'm the " someone " let me respond, the riders listed before my response in the previous thread were a couple of IB competitors, not your average Joe who does 1000 miles to get a plate. If your IB competitive, your bike does not look like the stock one shown. That was the point.

Go ahead and break out your map at 1am in the middle of the Nevada desert, wondering if you go left or right, when your under a time limit. Yeah right ! And I'm sure your map has the nearest gas station on it too.

Next time an IB event is near you, go see how many stripped done bikes there are, I'm sure everyone will appreciate your simplistic view of things. :rolleyes:

It's all about personal preference. Some people like to go the distance with something more than the voices in their head singing to them. Others like to chat with themselves without music to distract them. You can go on down the list.

The bottom line is the difference between "want" and "need". You may want something like a GPS but only need it when it comes time to change a complex route on the fly with the least down time.

To me the real question that draws the line in the sand is this. "What has to be changed so that I can ride the bike tank-to-tank for at least 18 hours a day and do the same thing the next day?" Those changes are what I consider "needs". If I need to be concerned that those 18 hours be best served with a helping of 1200 miles or more than that adds to the "needs" list (aux fuel, aux lighting, etc.) so that my average mph can stay up without having to lean on the crutch of speed.

Then, even at this point, how someone else would answer those questions could be different than how I answer them. Their "needs" being different than mine and each of our "needs" lists containing what the other might consider "wants".

Highlander makes a good point, but there is a strong undercurrent of resistance to "teching out" bikes within the IBA. A vocal constituancy frequently makes a good case for simplicity and the "old school" ways of doing the miles. Again it's an example of how their definitions classify some people's "needs" as "wants" in their book.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I'm the " someone " let me respond, the riders listed before my response in the previous thread were a couple of IB competitors, not your average Joe who does 1000 miles to get a plate. If your IB competitive, your bike does not look like the stock one shown. That was the point.Go ahead and break out your map at 1am in the middle of the Nevada desert, wondering if you go left or right, when your under a time limit. Yeah right ! And I'm sure your map has the nearest gas station on it too.

Next time an IB event is near you, go see how many stripped done bikes there are, I'm sure everyone will appreciate your simplistic view of things. :rolleyes:
The only thing you have mentioned is the GPS and still I say that is a want not a need. If you want to do the IBA and can't afford a GPS you can do the ride. I am mostly saying to say a new comer you don't have to have GPS, XM radio, Radar detector etc in order to do the ride. Now will you want to make a complex route that is hard to remember and risk getting caught at night, no this is where planning comes in.

My main point to this is many who may be new to this see many people on this forum with all this "stuff" and think it is necessary. I do not think so...

Ok, here we go. I want to do a IBA. Stock bike but need the minimum.

Do I really need a GPS, lets see straight out 270 - 495 - 66 - 81 through hill country of west virginia go 500 miles turn around and come back. All highway driving which I do every day and some like back roads their preference.

Lets see do I need a radar detector, Posted speed limits, radar detectors illegal in many states around here, Local law using laser, almost useless, obey the law. Nope don't need it. Do I speed yes, but a radar detecter around here isn't going to prevent a ticket and when the cop see's one on my bike will definitely pi** him off.

XM Radio - I don't even have one in my truck, never had one in my tractor trailer. I have spent a lot of money on cd's and cd players/mp3 players. With an ear phone they will do but won't be left on my bike all the time for someone to steal and all time/money for the other amplifications people have. Don't need - nice toy - aka farkle and sure those that have them like them. Not saying anything bad against any of this stuff but not a necessity a want.

Garage door opener. I have a garage and I back into mine not pull in so I ride up the drive way onto my side walk and park the bike. Take off my helmet because backing with it on is hard. I open the garage door, let the dogs out, put the helmet down and then go back out and back my bike in. Don't need the garage door opener. My choice.

Extra fuel tank - Now this one on rides longer than a 1000 may become almost a necessity when time is precious but for a beginner doing a 1000 without one is doable and a reason to stretch your legs.

My point was not to get shi**y with anyone but to start a conversation with people new to IBA that all this stuff is not needed and just because a bike isn't loaded down with all this stuff doesn't mean by "looks" book by it's cover type deal that this person couldn't be an Iron Butt Rider.....

Ok, here we go. I want to do a IBA.
Lets see do I need a radar detector, Posted speed limits, radar detectors illegal in many states around here, Local law using laser, almost useless, obey the law. Nope don't need it. Do I speed yes, but a radar detecter around here isn't going to prevent a ticket and when the cop see's one on my bike will definitely pi** him off.

GPS

XM Radio

Garage door opener

Extra fuel tank
And "IBA" is not a rally, nor is it "The IBR". It's a solo ride. As such, pre-planning time is potentially infinate. The clock doesn't start ticking until you get your start receipt.

There's a big difference in an IBA (solo) ride and a rally (even a 12 hour or 24 hour rally). Each would have different lists of "needs" and "wants" even when the rider is the same. An IBA ride like the Saddle Sore 1000 has been done on Vespa-like scooters. You don't "need" a bike bigger than about a 350cc model as long as it's reliable. Done on an interstate in a straight line, you don't "need" maps once you start. All you need to do it "sit here, turn that" and keep it up to the tune of 42 mph for 24 hours. Everything else is a "want".

Needs change when you start rallying; especially if you rally with any intent of doing well.

BTW: Your classification of radar detectors being illegal in many states "around here" begs the issue of them only being illegal in VA and D.C. (and the DC is only if IIRC). We are, after all, talking about IBA-type riding. That being the case, naysaying everyone else's definition of "need" based on your personal preference and perception with your nearby state(s) seems highly constraining. It's starting to look as if you're propping up straw men. I've been saved from laser many times with my V1 (not associated with any rally riding). The trick is, as with any detector, to use your head and a rabbit.

The rest of your comments are specious and appear intended to incite a response. It worked. Every single thing listed was a "want" when talking about a solo IBA ride like a Saddle Sore 1000 (even the choice of an FJR as the vehicle to ride). Yet the "decked out" bikes you reference tend to be "rally bikes" and not your typical fare occasional solo IBA-effort type configuration.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fair Bounce not trying to argue a GPS usage etc. The post that I was referring to was a bike that had crashed and the tag was an IBA tag. The comment made it seem like a bike "needed" all this stuff in order to do an IBA.

To me it was like looking at a fat person and saying they couldn't do a marathon because they are fat...

I know many people that I would consider "fat" that can run and run and run....

Fair Bounce not trying to argue a GPS usage etc. The post that I was referring to was a bike that had crashed and the tag was an IBA tag. The comment made it seem like a bike "needed" all this stuff in order to do an IBA. To me it was like looking at a fat person and saying they couldn't do a marathon because they are fat...

I know many people that I would consider "fat" that can run and run and run....
Your still missing the point.

The riders named as having possibly gone down... that was not their bike pictured as their have " unneeded " equipment on their bikes.... that was the whole point of the statement.

No further pissin from me , you know what they say about arguing on the net...nuff said.

No miss understanding from me Highlander. I got your reference to say that the people that everyone was suggesting the bike may have belonged to is known to have all this other stuff.

Maybe I would have just made my comment differently something like "That is not so and so's bike as his/her bike has a lot more farkles on it".

I would also wager to say that many people have xm radios, radar detectors, amplifiers, electrical outlets and garage door openers that have never done nor have no desire to do a IBA/IBR.

Again my post and replys have not been to make enemies (which I hope I have not). This post was brought on by many things. Reading the posts put up by people on "why do a IBA" and others on "what equipment do I need" etc.

The problem is sparky...your original post was not asking the question or even addressing a questoin such as "Reading the posts put up by people on "why do a IBA" and others on "what equipment do I need" etc.

Your original post made a statement based on your opinion, "All the other stuff are farkles that to me don't make or break a long distance rider..."

Unfortunately, you did start off on the wrong foot.

Instead of trying to continue to prove a point that you obviously know nothing about (ie, you have obvioulsy never done an IBA much less some type of rally), maybe you should just say..."oh, okay."

Now, onto your "question."

I myself do not use an external fuel tank, but have seen many bikes that have never gone 1,000 miles in one day with an external fuel tank.

I myself live on the plains in Nebraska where laser is not used much, but pop with Ka band radar is. I do use a 8500 x50 with extreme success.

I myself do enjoy satelite radio and have a mounting bracket permenantly installed on my bike to fit my XM receiver.

I myself do like to talk with other riders or just my wife, so I do have an autocom system.

I personally would not install extra lights, but I can definitely see why riders such as highlander and warchild have them because of the extreme riding they do out west at night. I try to be at home or in the hotel by dark if possible.

I myself am not a rally rider, but do like to ride long distances (at least what I consider to be long distances). No IBA license plate bracket, but yet I have heated grips, powerlet outlet for my gizmo's, a tire repair kit, and even duct tape.

My point is, be careful of your own opinion. What you do is far removed from what everyone else does. As you can see from this very simple and short thread you originated here.

The problem is sparky...your original post was not asking the question or even addressing a questoin such as "Reading the posts put up by people on "why do a IBA" and others on "what equipment do I need" etc.

Your original post made a statement based on your opinion, "All the other stuff are farkles that to me don't make or break a long distance rider..."

Unfortunately, you did start off on the wrong foot.

Instead of trying to continue to prove a point that you obviously know nothing about (ie, you have obvioulsy never done an IBA much less some type of rally), maybe you should just say..."oh, okay."

Now, onto your "question."

I myself do not use an external fuel tank, but have seen many bikes that have never gone 1,000 miles in one day with an external fuel tank.

I myself live on the plains in Nebraska where laser is not used much, but pop with Ka band radar is. I do use a 8500 x50 with extreme success.

I myself do enjoy satelite radio and have a mounting bracket permenantly installed on my bike to fit my XM receiver.

I myself do like to talk with other riders or just my wife, so I do have an autocom system.

I personally would not install extra lights, but I can definitely see why riders such as highlander and warchild have them because of the extreme riding they do out west at night. I try to be at home or in the hotel by dark if possible.

I myself am not a rally rider, but do like to ride long distances (at least what I consider to be long distances). No IBA license plate bracket, but yet I have heated grips, powerlet outlet for my gizmo's, a tire repair kit, and even duct tape.

My point is, be careful of your own opinion. What you do is far removed from what everyone else does. As you can see from this very simple and short thread you originated here.
No my post was not addressing a question it was addressing a comment. I only started a new thread because I thought the thread that the comment was in deserved to be left alone and was more important.

You say I know nothing about it in your comment. Hummm, I don't know where you got your information from but just because I have never done an official "IBA/IBR" doesn't mean I haven't made long trips on a bike that total long distance.

Also all the things you say you use are fine. My comments are not to say they are not useful, you may be missing my point. I understand fully the uses of everything you have my comments were to say that just because someone does not have all of these things doesn't mean they couldn't do an IBA. That simple nothing more....

I don't know where you got the things I said mixed up with what you are saying to me. I never said in anyway that people shouldn't have these things and that they aren't useful. My comments were that they are not an indication of whether someone did or didn't do an IBA. Done...

Fat Naked Guy

You to missed the point to some its the Licence plate to others its a challange to say they have done one, anyone can go out and ride 1001 miles in 24 hrs but to do it with all the paper work to prove to them that you did do it in under 24 hrs, having an GPS just makes it easyer to keep contol of your time as it gives you stop time ,speed,average speed ETC yes a little music is good and being able to talk to others along if you want. My driving time was 17 1/2 hrs stopped time 1 1/2 gas lunch and needed stops :D my milage was 1092 and I belive my average speed was 67mph I generally ran 5 over speed limit saw 3 LEO's didn't get stopped but a car did that passed me doing probably 10 over. I dont have an extra tank and if I did , they require that you stop every 350 miles whether you need gas or not. Light also help as they give you that edge when rideing at night you see things a little faster than without and that can make the difference just ask WarChild and his ride to Alturas Ca for breakfast at the Black Bear Diner.

rogerfjrfaster :D

Anyway we can just delete this thread and forget it was ever mentioned. :erm:

forget it was ever mentioned
Sparky - based on the average age of this forum, it's already in progress. :dribble:
BTW... why do you let D.P. just lay on your car hood?... get her in the back seat man! :D