Jerky On / Off throttle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cali_rider

Reaction score
My FJR runs great but being an 07 it has a jerkiness to the initial opening of the throttle. Its rather annoying. I have a pwer commander 3 on it already which I thought was to help that but I guess not (It came with the bike). The bike is going into the shop today to get all the recalls done including the altitiude sickness which I believe involves a new ECU. Does anyone know if that should address the jerky throttle as well? Is my next step to install the smoothness map for the PC3 thats available on this site. Ive only put on about a thousand miles but this is already very annoying. Should I take the PC3 off and do the barbarian jumper mod instead?

PCIII is one of the primary fixes. It's much better than the Barbarian mod.

Sounds like you need to verify your PCIII is working correctly and try some new maps. If that doesn't work, then try the G2 throttle tube as that is the other primary fix.

I have done all three to mine, the G3 throttle, Barbarian Mod and PowerCommander V with smoothness map. It is now much better. I tried the PCV without the barbarian mod, and it still had issues, so I redid the mod. Yamaha would not change out my ECU as they said it was not a recall but a tech bulletin and that the time had expired. Good on you if they will change out your ECU. Mine still has issues going down in altitude btw.

I have done all three to mine, the G3 throttle, Barbarian Mod and PowerCommander V with smoothness map. It is now much better. I tried the PCV without the barbarian mod, and it still had issues, so I redid the mod. Yamaha would not change out my ECU as they said it was not a recall but a tech bulletin and that the time had expired. Good on you if they will change out your ECU. Mine still has issues going down in altitude btw.
Powercommander and Barbarian mod do the same thing. Doing both it just redundant. If the Powercommander didn't cure it then you were not running a good map.

The original owner did the throttle spring trick. I was just reading in the links provided that with the G2, the throttle doesnt return as fast. Will this be a problem with the G2 since I have already had the throttle spring mode done?

The original owner did the throttle spring trick. I was just reading in the links provided that with the G2, the throttle doesnt return as fast. Will this be a problem with the G2 since I have already had the throttle spring mode done?
The G2 decreases how fast the throttle reacts. The unwind is a stiffness issue, just takes a little less pressure to hold it.

I released the throttle spring, installed G2 and adjusted the throttle cable slack, all making improvements. I have been very happy with the results.

My FJR runs great but being an 07 it has a jerkiness to the initial opening of the throttle. Its rather annoying. I have a pwer commander 3 on it already which I thought was to help that but I guess not (It came with the bike). The bike is going into the shop today to get all the recalls done including the altitiude sickness which I believe involves a new ECU. Does anyone know if that should address the jerky throttle as well? Is my next step to install the smoothness map for the PC3 thats available on this site. Ive only put on about a thousand miles but this is already very annoying. Should I take the PC3 off and do the barbarian jumper mod instead?

Since you have the PC III already, the smoothness map works very well.

The ECU recall did nothing that we could tell to help the smoothness. It did not make any difference at altitude either, of course, that is East of the Mississippi River altitude. It has never been above 6600 feet. Skooter G is absolutely correct, the right map makes all the difference. I installed a PC-V from Fuelmoto and they provide their map already installed based on the status of the bike with regard to current or future mods. This has been one of the best examples of getting your money's worth I could name. While I acknowledge that neither Dad nor I are capable of exploiting the performance of this wonderful bike, the smoothness and rideability are obvious even to us.

Powercommander and Barbarian mod do the same thing. Doing both it just redundant. If the Powercommander didn't cure it then you were not running a good map.
From what I read, the barbarian mod only works off throttle, the PCV works throughout the power band. I could play with the PCV map, but the barbarian mod pretty much fixed it. The map is the actual smoothness map modified for the PCV.

I say, don't mess with success.

+1 on the right map. I run the converted for Gen II Wally's smoothness map in my PCIII although I would still like to get my own map made at a dyno shop some day. Just for kicks, I've tried different maps from the Powercommander site including the stock map (as it takes a whopping 5 min. to do) and have stuck with Wally's for now. I found that each map definitely has it's own "personality" so you may want to try several to see which one works best for you. Also have done the spring unwind and have little excess slack in the cables.

The ECU recall did nothing that we could tell to help the smoothness. It did not make any difference at altitude either, of course, that is East of the Mississippi River altitude.
I am suprised to hear that becasue they replace ECU from what I understand....wouldnt that be the same ECU as say an 08+? and the 08+ dont have that issue, right?

The bike was dropped off tonight, getting the recalls done, the ingnition switch, the ground spider and the altitude sickness....I am anxious to see if the altitude sickness fix does anything.

I am thinking about doing the G2 Throttle Tamer mod. Not really bothered too much by the throttle snatch except in the twisties and even then it's something I can live with. But it seems like a good idea to make it smoother. Looks like the price is up to $79 most places with CycleBuy having it on sale for 74.95. Is there any better current options?

I am thinking about doing the G2 Throttle Tamer mod. Not really bothered too much by the throttle snatch except in the twisties and even then it's something I can live with. But it seems like a good idea to make it smoother. Looks like the price is up to $79 most places with CycleBuy having it on sale for 74.95. Is there any better current options?
I rode my 06 for over 55k miles befor installing the G2. I did learn to deal with the throttle response prior to installing the G2, but ran across a great deal on e-Bay ($35.00 brand new).

The G2 does smooth things out. I would say it is a good value, even at full price

I thought there was no time limit for the recall

Do not forget to check that the O2 sensor is disconnected (Dynojet instructions) if you want to get the full effect on the PCIII. I had my PCV installed at a dealer a year ago and still had problems with jerkiness, and just found out last week the O2 sensor was still connected, so after disconnecting it the bike immediately became very, very smooth.

Do not forget to check that the O2 sensor is disconnected (Dynojet instructions) if you want to get the full effect on the PCIII. I had my PCV installed at a dealer a year ago and still had problems with jerkiness, and just found out last week the O2 sensor was still connected, so after disconnecting it the bike immediately became very, very smooth.
I will do that....Where would it be conneced to on the bike? I am assuming the sensor is down by the muffler and I could follow the line.