Jerky On / Off throttle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The O2 connector is actually under the tank, near the right side frame.

As for the G2 throttle tube, remember that what makes it magic is that it counter-acts the stupidity Yamaha showed when they changed the shape of the throttle wheel on 2007-8 FJRs. The G2 has a cam shape that is effectively the opposite of that change, putting "feel" closer to what the entire universe of riders expects. So it's effective on '07 and '08, useless elsewhere.

As for the G2 throttle tube, remember that what makes it magic is that it counter-acts the stupidity Yamaha showed when they changed the shape of the throttle wheel on 2006-7 FJRs. The G2 has a cam shape that is effectively the opposite of that change, putting "feel" closer to what the entire universe of riders expects. So it's effective on '06 and '07, useless elsewhere.
Fixed it for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
The ECU recall did nothing that we could tell to help the smoothness. It did not make any difference at altitude either, of course, that is East of the Mississippi River altitude.
I am suprised to hear that becasue they replace ECU from what I understand....wouldnt that be the same ECU as say an 08+? and the 08+ dont have that issue, right?

The bike was dropped off tonight, getting the recalls done, the ingnition switch, the ground spider and the altitude sickness....I am anxious to see if the altitude sickness fix does anything.
I thought the same thing, but we were very disappointed. We could tell no difference, none. I actually rode Dad's '07 then rode a friend's '08 to check and whatever they did seemed to be a waste of our time and theirs. So much so that we wondered if they actually changed it at all. That PC-V is a right now, oh my goodness, sonuvagun, this thing is smooth fix.

As for the G2 throttle tube, remember that what makes it magic is that it counter-acts the stupidity Yamaha showed when they changed the shape of the throttle wheel on 2007-8 FJRs. The G2 has a cam shape that is effectively the opposite of that change, putting "feel" closer to what the entire universe of riders expects. So it's effective on '07 and '08, useless elsewhere.
Are you sure it's not the )6 & 07?

Are you sure it's not the )6 & 07?
Uh, look up a couple of posts. The one and only SkooterG already fixed that for us. (I got caught by this as well)

I believe it is the 06-07 that has the throttle snatch, and that was solved for 08.

Geez, guys, alright! I got it!! '06 and '07!!!! Fine!!!!!

(Do any of you read the thread after the post you're correcting, just to see if maybe it already got corrected???? :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p )

If it was within a minute or two of each other, that's one thing, but 3 hours??!?!?!

Geez, guys, alright! I got it!! '06 and '07!!!! Fine!!!!!

(Do any of you read the thread after the post you're correcting, just to see if maybe it already got corrected???? :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p )

If it was within a minute or two of each other, that's one thing, but 3 hours??!?!?!

Damn kids and their hippity hop music, anyway!!!

:rofl:

I have done all three to mine, the G3 throttle, Barbarian Mod and PowerCommander V with smoothness map. It is now much better. I tried the PCV without the barbarian mod, and it still had issues, so I redid the mod. Yamaha would not change out my ECU as they said it was not a recall but a tech bulletin and that the time had expired. Good on you if they will change out your ECU. Mine still has issues going down in altitude btw.
Being inspired by the positive results on getting a new ECU ordered, I called Yamaha Customer Relations and they said they would authorize a new ECU, just call the dealer and tell them to call the Tech Line (a number we can not call). Customer Relations then said North Hollywood Honda/Yamaha already billed for the upgraded ECU last August!!! This was crap, so I called the dealer back and they said all they installed was the Spider Recall and the Ignition Lock recall, but not the ECU. Long story short, I removed the ECU and it has a big 22 on it which means it has not been upgraded. Upgraded ECUs have a big 23 etched on them which can be seen on the Tech Bulletin M2007-016 illustration. The good news is NH Honda/Yamaha ordered me a new ECU and it should be here in a few days. :yahoo:

Here is a question, remove the PowerCommander V before taking the bike in for the new ECU?
I told my dealer that I had a PC3 on the bike and asked if that that would affect the ECU replacement and I was informed its not an issue from the write up guy....but dont take that answer as the gospel either...

Changing the ECU on an '07 will only affect the bike's response to altitude changes. With the original ECU if you start at sea level and drive to ~2000 ft without stopping, restarting the engine, or moving the throttle more than 30% the bike will start to hesitate when applying gas. This is caused by the computer taking a pressure reading at engine start. To take a new reading the engine needs to be restarted or a large throttle movement is necessary. On a trip up Pikes Peak before the change I had to restart the engine every 1500-2000 ft change in altitude. With the new ECU only about 15-20% throttle movement is needed for a new reading. The jerky throttle without altitude changes is not related to the ECU, the G2 cam will solve this problem.

My link

My link

My FJR runs great but being an 07 it has a jerkiness to the initial opening of the throttle. Its rather annoying. I have a pwer commander 3 on it already which I thought was to help that but I guess not (It came with the bike). The bike is going into the shop today to get all the recalls done including the altitiude sickness which I believe involves a new ECU. Does anyone know if that should address the jerky throttle as well? Is my next step to install the smoothness map for the PC3 thats available on this site. Ive only put on about a thousand miles but this is already very annoying. Should I take the PC3 off and do the barbarian jumper mod instead?
My PC3 install most definitely took care of your problem on my last 07 FJR. Check your mapping... My current 07 has the G2 throttle and it seems to help a lot. I haven't reinstalled my PC-3 on this bike yet.

Okay, I ordered a G2 throttle cam/tube....I also plan on installing the smoothness map into the PC3 and I realized there is a fair amount of slack in the throttle cable so I plan to take that out as well. Hopefully that gets rid of it!!!! I need to go in there anyway to greese the throttle tube and cable as well as fix the heated grips the original owner installed...Going to have fun, re-doing the wiring for the accesories, adding a FZ-1 fuzeblock, new heated grips, new PIAA light switch for the moto lights, G2 cam, smoothness map and maybe a new winsdshield.....Gotta get it ready for the ride to Oregon in September for a Rueben.....LOL

Had a terrible stumble going to work yesterday. I climb up 2,000 plus feet to get to work, so when I got off the fwy, twisted the throttle, and bog, bog, then it caught and went. Got the Tech Bulletin M2007-016 ECU done today. Hopefully that will fix the altitude issue I have. Lets see, loosened throttle spring, G2 throttle tube mod, removed slack from cables, PCV with updated smoothness map for the PCV, barbarian mod, now all should be good. :yahoo:

Had a terrible stumble going to work yesterday. I climb up 2,000 plus feet to get to work, so when I got off the fwy, twisted the throttle, and bog, bog, then it caught and went. Got the Tech Bulletin M2007-016 ECU done today. Hopefully that will fix the altitude issue I have. Lets see, loosened throttle spring, G2 throttle tube mod, removed slack from cables, PCV with updated smoothness map for the PCV, barbarian mod, now all should be good. :yahoo:

Mine has done the same at times upon startup.,,,and I am doing all the same things this weekend. However I have the PCIII, not the V. I was looking on where to to find the Wallys smoothness map. Anyone know of a copy? Its seems that the preffered map to start with. Also, anyone know the procedure to install a new map to a PCIII?

Mine has done the same at times upon startup.,,,and I am doing all the same things this weekend. However I have the PCIII, not the V. I was looking on where to to find the Wallys smoothness map. Anyone know of a copy? Its seems that the preffered map to start with. Also, anyone know the procedure to install a new map to a PCIII?
Here you go: (Be happy I got to you before the "Friday" gang)

:rolleyes:

https://www.fjr1300.info/misc/PC-III.html

Here you go: (Be happy I got to you before the "Friday" gang)

:rolleyes:

https://www.fjr1300.info/misc/PC-III.html
Thank! I knwo some guys are rough when it comes to the search feature

Just an update since getting the Number 23 ECU. Everything is perfect. No more stumble, I am happy.