"Jumps" when putting it in 1st gear

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SECA_to_FJR

Reaction score
I bought a left over 06A and have about 850miles on it. I love it but here's a few issues i've noticed...

Recently when I shift into first from neutral (especially when the bike is cold) it seems to jump a little like the clutch isn't totally disengaged. Once it even stalled even though I had the clutch all the way in.

Shifting (especially down shifting) when the bike isn't super warmed up is also hard and sometimes it almost seems like I have to step on the shift lever a little and then do it again for real when I do the actual down shift. Either that or really push down hard on the shifter more than I would expect is needed.

When the bike is fully warmed up these symtoms seem to go away (but it is still bothersome). I've searched the forum and read threads that the tranny is a heavy clunky noisy "don't baby it" type of beast and preloading on the way up and hard '07 downshifting but didn't see much on the possible clutch disengagement issue when cold.

Has anyone else experienced these issues? Give it a few thousand more miles of "break-in" to smooth things off? Or take it in to be checked to be safe???

One last thing... for complete disclosure of information I reluctantly must add the following... please don't shoot me as I DON'T want to start another dreaded oil thread BUT...

I oil changed my bike at 200 and 700 miles so far and used the Shell Rotella T 15W 40 (non-synthetic).

I don't "think" I experienced those symtoms I mentioned when I had the factory oil in from the dealer. At least that I recall. Could any of these things be oil related? I read a lot you guys use the rotella w/ no issues.

My next change I'll go back to yamalube or spectrum to see if it makes a difference but thought I'd post here to see if any others had similar experiences and or suggestions before then. THANKS!

RE: Clutch, shift, jump. The correct sequence is: Clutch, shift, clunk, jump. SOP. No worries. Rotella with induce a rather glorious array of colors when the motor grenades from using that shit.

Otherwise, just ride it like you stole it. All is well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Manual specifically says not to use diesel oil, which is what Rotella is. No risk of grenading your engine, or anything like that, but there must be something in its additive package that's incompatible with the clutch.

I've also read of clutch plate problems that are resolved with synthetic oil, so you should switch to that. That's exactly what I'll put in too, just like I do in all my motorcycles. You shouldn't use 'energy conserving' oils either, which are the thinner viscosities (below 10/40). I'd get at least a 15, and no more than 50, if you're a normal rider who doesn't risk its skin riding on freezing temperatures. I'll use Mobil1 15/50 myself. The problem I see with our bikes is the rod that pushes on the clutch pressure plate is too short; it barely disengages with the lever fully depressed, so ANY little thing can cause problems. I'd switch to synthetic oil if I were you, plus bleed your clutch to get all the assembly crap from the system. And the brakes wouldn't hurt either. Later.

JC

Just use regular Yamaha oil and forget about Rotella...Yamaha designed the bike , they recomend Yamaha oil so use it ,it's good oil and it works

If your bike is like mine, it jumps the worst when you put it into 1st the first time of the day, or after sitting for awhile. From what I have been able to find out here on the forum, this is because the clutch plates are sticking. The first time I put the bike in gear it REALLY jumps. Like don't have anyone standing in front of you! I am told this is "Normal." Seems odd to me, but WTF. What I do is either start by shifting into 2nd gear, and then down into first (helps some), or with the bike on the center-stand, I put it into 1st then rock it forward off of the stand. This solves the problem completely. Once mine has been running for awhile, or if it is hot outside, the problem goes away. Also, is seems to be getting less and less as I add on the miles. I am at 11K now, and there is no question it is better than when I first got the bike. Yes, I run synthetic, but I don't know how big of a difference it makes. Hope that helps a little.

O K, I guess I gotta say this. Start it in neutral with gear on & clutch squeezed & instantly shift to 1st & ride away. No jerk. That's the only time U shift it to 1st while it's not rolling. Keep RPMs below 3k till 1st temp bar comes on. Any other time be in 1st before it stops rolling & keep clutch in(stop lights etc). No jerk.

Hey, I'm no jerk----Well just maybe I am but my FJR doesn't

Later,,, De :rolleyes:

Thanks all for your input. Sounds like I shouldn't sweat it too much but maybe should stop using the Rotella... Looks like I'll be changing my oil again sooner than expected. Happy 4th!!! Let's get ridin' !

i find that if you rev the bike with the clutch in before you put it into gear it frees the clutch. then put it into gear. it then lets it go into gear without any problems.

i've also noticed it more after i changed the oil, so i added 4oz of BARDAHL, and the problems went away. i feel yamaha uses a different oil from the factory, then yamalube.

Read the oil threads; keep the Rotella in (your choice, synthetic or not), or other oil of your choice. Your description sounds like standard operationg procedure.

i find that if you rev the bike with the clutch in before you put it into gear it frees the clutch. then put it into gear. it then lets it go into gear without any problems.

I have to agree with the chief. I let my '06 warm up (until I see one bar on the temp gauge) and work the clutch lever several times while blipping the throttle. No more clunking.

I bought a left over 06A and have about 850miles on it. I love it but here's a few issues i've noticed... Recently when I shift into first from neutral (especially when the bike is cold) it seems to jump a little like the clutch isn't totally disengaged.

I have an 06A as well and get the same first gear clunk & jump when cold - just like you described. Problem goes away after she is warmed up. I have 8k miles on mine and use the recommended yamalube on my oil changes and still get the "clunkn'jump" when starting her up cold first thing in the morning. From what I've read on this forum it seems normal - I hope...

I bought a left over 06A and have about 850miles on it. I love it but here's a few issues i've noticed... Recently when I shift into first from neutral (especially when the bike is cold) it seems to jump a little like the clutch isn't totally disengaged.

I have an 06A as well and get the same first gear clunk & jump when cold - just like you described. Problem goes away after she is warmed up. I have 8k miles on mine and use the recommended yamalube on my oil changes and still get the "clunkn'jump" when starting her up cold first thing in the morning. From what I've read on this forum it seems normal - I hope...

try putting 4oz of bardahl in the oil

try putting 4oz of bardahl in the oil

Which one, B-1 Oil Supplement? What exactly does it do?

Hi to all

You are not alone. check the link below & do a search for clutch.You will see my original post. My biggest consern was hard down shift & the delay in clutch release.

I HAVE GOOD NEWS.The clutch works GREAT NOW.

Bottom line is the clutch plates needed to be soaked.

I tried: bleeding clutch,got no air & made no difference

change oil to mobil 1 syn 15/50 no diff. changed agian to honda 10/30 & a little better but still not right.

took to dealer & called Yamaha.Dealer checked it & called Yamaha & Yamaha authorized soaking clutch plates.

My dealer said he could see as soon as he got it apart that the plates were "bone dry". They soaked them for 2 or 3 days.

My bike shifts great now & the clutch is normal, the way it should be.

foget the link, I cant figure it out.

Which one, B-1 Oil Supplement? What exactly does it do?

yes B-1. it reduces friction. my clutch worked perfict till i changed the oil, then it got grabby. since the only thing i did was change the oil to yamalube, i felt the factory uses a different oil for break-in. i added 4oz of bardahl, and then clutch worked just as it did before i changed the oil.

i've gotten conditioned to parking the bike in gear; if it's cold when i go to ride it, such as the next day, i've gotten conditioned to pulling the clutch in, and "unhooking" the clutch by rolling the bike back and forth until it breaks free, and _then_ starting the bike in neutral.

the first time i tried starting the bike in gear, cold, with the clutch in, it scared the crap outta me, as it wouldn't turn over, as the grab of the clutch plates was too much for the starter motor to overcome. unbreak the clutch, and it starts right up.

this is completely unacceptable, but i'm too lazy to get it to the dealer; well, that, and i don't want to have to deal with trying to prove my case up the chain of command.

Hi to allYou are not alone. check the link below & do a search for clutch.You will see my original post. My biggest consern was hard down shift & the delay in clutch release.

I HAVE GOOD NEWS.The clutch works GREAT NOW.

Bottom line is the clutch plates needed to be soaked.

I tried: bleeding clutch,got no air & made no difference

change oil to mobil 1 syn 15/50 no diff. changed agian to honda 10/30 & a little better but still not right.

took to dealer & called Yamaha.Dealer checked it & called Yamaha & Yamaha authorized soaking clutch plates.

My dealer said he could see as soon as he got it apart that the plates were "bone dry". They soaked them for 2 or 3 days.

My bike shifts great now & the clutch is normal, the way it should be.

foget the link, I cant figure it out.
that sounds great. what i may do is drive to the stealership first thing in the morning, park the bike, then come back about 4p and tell the service manager to go try and start my bike in gear, that the clutch isn't releasing, and then let them try it out so they can agree to soak the plates like your stealership did. thanks for giving hope to this issue.

side note: what's entailed in soaking the plates, if i wanted to do it myself?