Kelso, WA - What’s there to see and do?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 6393

the Vixen of Vancouver Island
Reaction score
Trying this again....

Anything interesting in the area, aside from the obvious giant hole blown into the granite?

b

Barb, take a run out to Astoria. We've always liked the feel of the place and enjoy the visits!

Stop and see the gang on your way through?

~G

Am definitely planning to take Norm over the bridge, and I hear there are a couple good breweries there.

Well be doing the touristy thing on the way home at the Public Market, so if you guys have time for a dinner or something wed take a recommend on where to stay thats central to you and Kevin and spend a day/night for sure. Its been too long.

Itll be sometime the week Aug 5-11th. Are you guys home?

Look up Green Mountain road between Woodland and Kalama on the East side of I-5

There are many backroad ways to go to the coast. When I lived in Vancouver, wed go to the coast on the Oregon side out through the Vernonia to Astoria, then back on the Washington side to avoid being stuck in traffic coming back North across the I-5 bridge in Portland. You defintely dont want to do that.

Check out the Bowpicker in Astoria. They serve deep fried Albacore Tune and fries. Thats it. Best fish around and cheap for what you get. There will be a big line, but it is worth the wait!!

Many great roads in the area. If you have a Garmin GPS amd want to message me your email, I can send you .gpx files for just about every little twisty within 100 miles of the Portland/Vancouver area.

Sorry if my grammer is rough, Im texting without my glasses on!

Pm coming. Thanks! I remember 6 being pretty in the Fall. Whats it like in the summer?

Well Kevin/Lynny will be gone to Newport Or 8/7 to 8/16 or 17 so we have a couple of days that align.

You could stay at McMenamins in Kalama. I always like McMenamins. Across the river from Longview are a lot of good roads from Portland to Clatskanie all heading West to OR202 which takes you to Astoria. Going North out of Kelso, take WA411 to Vader. South out of Kalama, take Green Mountain to Woodland. Not much to see in Kelso.

Well Kevin/Lynny will be gone to Newport Or 8/7 to 8/16 or 17 so we have a couple of days that align.
Well then we will plan to stop on our way down for a night. Would it be better to stay in Mt Vernon or Marysville?

You could stay at McMenamins in Kalama. I always like McMenamins. Across the river from Longview are a lot of good roads from Portland to Clatskanie all heading West to OR202 which takes you to Astoria. Going North out of Kelso, take WA411 to Vader. South out of Kalama, take Green Mountain to Woodland. Not much to see in Kelso.
I was afraid of that LOLOL

You could always visit the NORPAC plant in Longview - see how paper is made
smile.png

Just mentioning as I used to do a lot of contract work for them back in the '90's
punk.gif

smile.png

Just mentioning as I used to do a lot of contract work for them back in the '90's
punk.gif
My dad was a pipefitter in a pulp and paper mill here in BC. And my ex worked on the boom. I guess that makes me a paperbrat.

We own a logging company, so are down there to look at some new tech. I see there is a forestry museum there. Have you been? Worth a look?

If you're tucked into Astoria [and safely off your bike for an overnight], check out the King George pub downtown.

We stopped in there in May 2016, and it was great!

smile.png

punk.gif
My dad was a pipefitter in a pulp and paper mill here in BC. And my ex worked on the boom. I guess that makes me a paperbrat.

We own a logging company, so are down there to look at some new tech. I see there is a forestry museum there. Have you been? Worth a look?
I haven't been to such a museum there. We actually have a small museum here in Prineville that has some displays and whatnot about logging and lumber manufacturing, which used to be the economic mainstay of the town.

Check out a place called Grounds for Opportunity in Kelso. Terrific breakfast and lunch, don’t be fooled by the odd location across from the Kubota tractor place. Cobb salad was amazing, breakfast was wonderful.

Keep heading south to CA...
biggrin.png
hmmm......
bike.gif

Check out a place called Grounds for Opportunity in Kelso. Terrific breakfast and lunch, don’t be fooled by the odd location across from the Kubota tractor place. Cobb salad was amazing, breakfast was wonderful.
Heavy equipment is Norm's favorite view, sadly LOL

Thanks! It's on the list!