KrZy8 down n out?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahh, geesh, guys!

"The doctor came in stinking of gin

And proceeded to lie on the table

He said Rocky you met your match

And Rocky said, Doc it's only a scratch

And I'll be better I'll be better doc as soon as I am able."

:huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh, geesh, guys!

"The doctor came in stinking of gin

And proceeded to lie on the table

He said Rocky you met your match

And Rocky said, Doc it's only a scratch

And I'll be better I'll be better doc as soon as I am able."

:huh:

Hopefully KrZy8 won't need Gideon's Bible!

Ordered up some parts, call me an optimist!

GASKET, OIL PUMP COV 5JW-15456-10-00 $4.93 1 $4.93

GASKET, HEAD COVER 1 5JW-11193-00-00 $26.62 1 $26.62

ELEMENT, AIR CLEANER 5JW-14451-00-00 $35.23 1 $35.23

O-RING 93210-18417-00 $2.12 2 $4.24

$71.02

Got to order head bolts...

Ordered up some parts, call me an optimist!

GASKET, OIL PUMP COV 5JW-15456-10-00 $4.93 1 $4.93

GASKET, HEAD COVER 1 5JW-11193-00-00 $26.62 1 $26.62

ELEMENT, AIR CLEANER 5JW-14451-00-00 $35.23 1 $35.23

O-RING 93210-18417-00 $2.12 2 $4.24

$71.02

Got to order head bolts...
Dude! I hope you didn't pay those ridiculous prices!!!

dc, I know it goes without saying (but I'll say it anyway) be SURE to use a good, preferably new, 6 point socket on those head bolts. They're a tiny 12mm, but have been put in with a BUNCH of torque, and you do NOT want to round off one of the bolt heads.

When I was resurrecting Frankenbike, after putting Grumpy's motor back in my frame, I decided to yank the head off my dead motor to assess the damage. 9 of the 10 bolts broke loose with a loud, gunshot "CRACK". The 10th didn't....the socket split during the procedure and wrecked the bolt head. Gawdamm cheap Craftsman socket!

But it was my fault, using a 12 point head.

Needless to say, the project ended right then and there. I've never gotten back to it. It's gonna have to be ground off, and that's gonna be a major undertaking, what with the bolts down in a "well" similar to the spark plugs.

MAKE SURE you use a good 6point socket...we don't wanna read how you stripped a bolt, m'kay!

Say what you will about ol' Howie, sometimes when he shares his own misfortune(s) the rest of us can truly benefit. :huh:

Say what you will about ol' Howie, sometimes when he shares his own misfortune(s) the rest of us can truly benefit. :huh:
Very well spoken Walt, the "pubic crabs" medicinal powder that RadioHowie recommended to me worked great! Didn't help Don Carver much with his "Dick Drip" though!

Dude! I hope you didn't pay those ridiculous prices!!!
I compared with two sources per the FAQ page and these prices were within 10% of local dealer,who has been struggling to stay in biz..so I threw down with the local (and he's been very helpful in the past, so I due feel *some* loyalty)

dc, I know it goes without saying (but I'll say it anyway) be SURE to use a good, preferably new, 6 point socket on those head bolts. They're a tiny 12mm, but have been put in with a BUNCH of torque, and you do NOT want to round off one of the bolt heads.

When I was resurrecting Frankenbike, after putting Grumpy's motor back in my frame, I decided to yank the head off my dead motor to assess the damage. 9 of the 10 bolts broke loose with a loud, gunshot "CRACK". The 10th didn't....the socket split during the procedure and wrecked the bolt head. Gawdamm cheap Craftsman socket!

But it was my fault, using a 12 point head.

Needless to say, the project ended right then and there. I've never gotten back to it. It's gonna have to be ground off, and that's gonna be a major undertaking, what with the bolts down in a "well" similar to the spark plugs.

MAKE SURE you use a good 6point socket...we don't wanna read how you stripped a bolt, m'kay!
Excellent Howie, thank you! Wonder if it would help to get some heat on the local area first?

Excellent Howie, thank you! Wonder if it would help to get some heat on the local area first?
Don...stay the hell away from the propane!!!

Here's what you need...seriously:

1_Dr_Socket_for_air_wrench.jpg

Air wrench sockets...stronger than shit, six point, good, strong, sturdy stuff. IF you can find one in 12mm, that's what you need on those damn head bolts.

Note that the sockets that RH recommends actually have rounded corners where the sharp 'points' are normally located at the ends of the flats. This puts the torque more onto the face of the flats and dramatically reduces head stripping. Any socket with this design, be it air or standard is superior. (Of course he knew this and just forgot to mention this additional feature ;) )

Note that the sockets that RH recommends actually have rounded corners reliefs where the sharp 'points' are normally located at the ends of the flats. This puts the torque more onto the face of the flats and dramatically reduces head stripping. Any socket with this design, be it air or standard is superior. (Of course he knew this and just forgot to mention this additional feature ;) )
+1 on the design. It's been a standard Snap On design for as long as I can remember. If you can chase down a truck, that would be the one to buy. I'd go for the six point chrome, non-impact. Mostly because it will fullfill all the recommendations of RH but be slim enough to fit down into any tight clearance. The engine designers would have used high quality tools for their maintenance checking but not necessarily impact tools. I've had a number of instances where a high quality chrome will fit and a similar impact will bind.

Oh, and once you get the bolt turning, don't stop for anything but don't go really fast either. It can sometimes bind back up and then you're truely fcuked. DAMHIK

Edit: How the heck did you get 160,000 miles on an '06 CBA certified bike? Did you hire ScoterG to ride it for you? :D

Don...stay the hell away from the propane!!!

Here's what you need...seriously:

1_Dr_Socket_for_air_wrench.jpg

Air wrench sockets...stronger than shit, six point, good, strong, sturdy stuff. IF you can find one in 12mm, that's what you need on those damn head bolts.
Propane? pffft. Childs play!

6bc548d0616626707ea5fbbaec26_grande.jpg

..and I thinks I already have a set of impact metrics - don't often use will have to dig through the box!

Note that the sockets that RH recommends actually have rounded corners where the sharp 'points' are normally located at the ends of the flats. This puts the torque more onto the face of the flats and dramatically reduces head stripping. Any socket with this design, be it air or standard is superior. (Of course he knew this and just forgot to mention this additional feature ;) )
Of course! :p

Parts bought, best do inventory anyway..

Hey, wadaphuck?

No head gasket!

Leave it to me to not order the most important part.

Quick call to local dealer and all is supposedly good - ETA is next Thurs, early Friday AM I head south to Doctor Hal's.

Today, KrZy8 gets a bath, the trailer gets connected, 1 trailer tire gets swapped out (has a plug)and I had better get going instead of surfing the net..

EDIT - I have the correct head bolt sized impact, although it's a wobble joint. Good enough or should I get a non-wobble impact socket?

Parts bought, best do inventory anyway..

Hey, wadaphuck?

No head gasket!

Leave it to me to not order the most important part.

Quick call to local dealer and all is supposedly good - ETA is next Thurs, early Friday AM I head south to Doctor Hal's.

Today, KrZy8 gets a bath, the trailer gets connected, 1 trailer tire gets swapped out (has a plug)and I had better get going instead of surfing the net..

EDIT - I have the correct head bolt sized impact, although it's a wobble joint. Good enough or should I get a non-wobble impact socket?
There happens to be a 12mm 6pt impact socket in the third drawer of my rolling chest.

Excellent!

Not that I'm eager to find WTFO happened..

One KrZy8 ready for transport.

1.jpg

One thing begets another... after looking at trailer tires.. and thinking how badly it would go down if I had to change one one on the 405 Mulholland grade... sigh, 4 nooobies installed today! :lol:

2.jpg