Labor Day Weekend

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bounce

Chicks Dig Scars
Staff member
Reaction score
Saturday

Took the propane grill (and propane accessories) over to kid's new house today. Family met us there and we made a day of it. Along with the grill each arrive bearing gifts. One kid brought the chocolate cake. Host kid had the roasting ears, huge bakers, salad, and broccoli. We arrived with the steaks, meat rub, breads, watermelon, the 2005 remake of King Kong on DVD, and probably some other things I don't remember right now.

The steaks are worth special mention. I had Korger's cut 7 ribeye's; each of which were TWO INCHES thick. We arrived to find all the fixing's started at an appropriate time to be ready when the steaks were done. Once rubbed down, allowed to rest, and then sacrificed with fire, everyone dug in. MAN! That was good eatin'! Of course, with only 5 of us there and at least 2 of the women claiming only half a steak each, Wife and I brought the unclaimed steaks back with us for later cooking. The steaks were cooked to perfection; juicy without being bloody, done without being dry or overcooked. The grill worked perfectly (even the push button starter). SiL cooked well. But none of it would have been possible without the expert meat selection by yours truly.

SiL served a red wine he picked up for Kid while he was in California on business this past week. It was a little too sweet for me, but Kid likes sangrias, so at least it wasn't thick. <g> Still in all, it was a tasty choice that everyone (who likes such) enjoyed.

We couldn't touch half the stuff we'd laid out, so the watermelon was left uncut, chilling in the happy couple's refrigerator (along with half a chocolate cake and the broccoli). We had to approach desert as a second stage; after the movie so everyone could allow their systems to work on the main meal and let everything settle into a leg or two.

Really nice Memorial Day cookout, house warming party, and face time that everyone, with their busy schedules so seldom gets. We talked to Mom. We need to call Bro & his SO. All were greatly missed. When family scatters it's always difficult to gather back together.

Sunday

Thinking about those steaks still made me smile.

So, off I was to make a late brunch/early lunch. We had steak and eggs today with an excellent dark-roast costa rican coffee and some of those jumbo biscuits with blackberry jelly.

Wife then took off to spend the day with Kid (going to a chick flick). time to raid the humidor.

BTW: my original Radio Shack hygrometers croaked a couple of weeks back. These are the ones that everyone was getting back during the cigar boom days. They are now discontinued. what i replaced them with was this: https://tinyurl.com/ob2f2 and 2 additional remote sensors (for a total of 3 sensors: https://tinyurl.com/onrnl ).

I placed a remote sensor in each of the humidors and one outside. The base unit gives temp & RH for it's location, along with atomic clock-synched time and an alarm clock function. I select the first 2 sensors so I can remotely check the temp/rh for each of the humidors without having to crack the seals. The 3rd sensor replaced the indoor/outdoor wired probe that I was using before. Works very well, so far.

.. not back on the bike yet but I'm hoping that next week I can test the waters some.

Takes Bounce a while to gather his thoughts. Can't wait to hear what he got for Christmas. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Bounce--

Sounds like you're feeling pretty good! You made me hungry--I'm dog-sitting two greyhounds in a big house in the country with little food. It's torture! Those meaty bones are startin' to look pretty good.

Glad to hear the kids are in their new house.

Hope you're back to riding soon! :yahoo:

Hmmm..... Labor Day.... right.... that's the worker's day....

Monday is honor the military day..... Got it? <BG>

Sorry, I, but I have lots of friends in the military....and even know some civilians serving in the sandbox...

Now what was that about not liking the wine? :)

Anyway, I didnt' ride either.... hacked at my stock seat and loweredand narrowed it a bit.....will go for a ride tomorrow, hope to put the lowereing links on sometime this week... Finally....

I can almost flat foot....Yay! Next to the Sargent seat, the stock one is skinny!

Mary

So shoot me. MEMORIAL DAY. der.

One day off from work is as good as the next. After spending 2 years in Uncle Sam's Boy Scouts (most of it in Korea), and 28 years in various civilian branches of the government, I tend not to keep up with the details. It's not out of disrespect for those who have (and are serving). After all, I are one.

I do wonder about those who stump about the day yet never served. It was a post about good things and some people have to go and shit all over it.

It's always ok to wear white. but some men shouldn't....just know your limitations.

It's always ok to wear white. but some men shouldn't....just know your limitations.
jdh1.jpg

And Bounce, I thought the description of your day was cool... the steaks sounded muy bueno...

4 words....bounce is losing it.... :D
Wouldn't be so bad if I could go and ride. This morning it was nearly like nothing was wrong. No limp, no out of the ordinary nothin'! Just as quickly I couldn't take a step where my knee wasn't catching. Take your choice, bending or extending and it'd catch. Have to stop mid-whatever, take the leg back the way it came, wait a sec, and try again. Then it'd work okay. This healing crap is odd.

Out to the garage to clean up the stationary bike I picked up this weekend. An old all-metal Schwinn. Heavy flywheel mass front wheel, mile counter, speedo, entirely too much chrome, and built like a battleship. I think this is one bike I'm glad is chain-driven. Needs serious cleaning before I can bring it into the house, though. But it's exactly what I was looking for: built hell-for-stout and $10 at a garage sale. It must weigh 50 pound. Compared to current basic models (nearly all plastic with fans on the front wheel for resistance) it's a tank.

Maybe I can get some leather tassles for the grips and some Boogie Lites?

So shoot me. MEMORIAL DAY. der.
One day off from work is as good as the next. After spending 2 years in Uncle Sam's Boy Scouts (most of it in Korea), and 28 years in various civilian branches of the government, I tend not to keep up with the details. It's not out of disrespect for those who have (and are serving). After all, I are one.

I do wonder about those who stump about the day yet never served. It was a post about good things and some people have to go and shit all over it.

Sorry...didnt' mean to insult you ro anything....thot maybe you just forgot...

I did tend to miss important stuff like my ex's birthday...<G>

Oh, and I did serve, (Army) but only for 6 years....

Mary