Larry Grodsky: VERY bad news from the V-Strom list

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warchild

Benevolent Dictator
Reaction score
This is exceedingly bad news, if true.... this was pulled off the V-Strom list this morning and posted on LDRiders. Haven't confirmed it yet, but I have no reason to believe it's not accurate:

I just got a phone call from a friend who co-teaches riding with LarryGrodsky, author of the "Stayin' Safe" series in Rider magazine. My

friend told me that Grodsky was killed last night in Texas, riding a

bike back from California that he had bought. He evidently hit a deer.
If true, this is a big loss, and I know Grodsky has a rather huge following in motorcycle circles.

RIP, Larry...... :(

Last edited by a moderator:
If true, this is a big loss, and I know Grodsky has a rather huge following in motorcycle circles.
Yuh think? That's one of the first columns I read when the magazine arrives.

This is truly shocking and extremely sad for the whole motorcycling fraternity. If one, the caliber of this rider, is taken out like this, have the motorcycle gods declared war on us?

While awaiting further news, RIP Larry, peace and comfort to your family and friends. :(

I just got that sick feeling in my gut again....What horrible news. I always enjoyed his writing. My sincere condolences to his family, friends, and coworkers if the news is true......RIP Larry....

Sorry to hear the horrible news. RIP - you, and your work, will be greatly missed.

Darn. Two magazine guys in less than a year; Christian Neuhauser (founder/publisher of RoadRunner mag) and now Larry of Rider, if true.

Thoughts and prayers to family, friends/co-workers.

No one is immune to the curse of death, its just a matter of when and how.

It's true & very sad....he was a good man & a friend to all who rode.....may you rest in peace our two wheeled brother :rip:

It is just so hard to imagine such an accident could happen to someone as motorcycle savy as Larry Grodsky. But, we all know this is a game of risk management. The risk is, indeed, managed, but not eliminated.

Fatigue on a long ride? Momentary lapse in focus? Unavoidable incident? Who knows? I must admit that the news sent a tingle down my spine. A selfish feeling popped up - could this happen to me, a safe rider, as well?

I thoroughly enjoyed his writings and benefited immensely from them. Thanks, Larry, for making me a much safer motorcycle rider.

With Respect and Sadness,

Ron

Once again, hard news. My condolences to Larrys family and many fans.

I need a little help. This morning on the way to work, the radio show I listen to in the DFW area used the news of Larrys death as a comedy bit. :angry: For some reason they found it funny that "Mr Safety" died in a motorcycle accident. They didn't bother to say what the cause of the accident was or seem to respect that a man had lost his life. They compared the whole thing to "Mr Herpes" dieing of a std. I tried to call in but was unable to get through.

Here is a link to their web page. KZPS Morning Show Perhaps some of us could encourage "Bo and Jim" to apologize for their extreme insensitivity. Perhaps this could be posted elsewhere as other members see fit to increase the responce.

Thanks.

I emailed them also.

Being funny doesn't take precedence over being mentally or morally sensitive to others, especially in a public forum. :no: That's just crass.

Sympathy to Larry's family and to his readers.

I got an email reply, and an apology for being insensitive, from Jim

I've been thinking allot about the death of Larry Grodsky. His funeral is today, here in Pittsburgh. Something kind of strange that I was thinking about, was the final lesson that he taught probably will have it's greatest impact.

I had told Larry last Spring that he is always the little saftey voice in my head when I ride. I wonder now, how many people will be even that much more vigilent when they ride. How many of us, that at times, get maybe a little overconfident in their riding, will think twice. How many of us will scan the surrounding brush in deer country, a little more closely and ride through it a little more slowly. How many of us will not risk that dusk or night ride through deer prone areas anymore.

Bottom line here, is that even in his death, Larry has saved lives. There is not a doubt in my mind that this is the case.

No, motorcycling isn't the cure for cancer and it won't bring world peace, but it still exists as a spiritual passion. My love of motorcycling has gotten me through some challenging times in my life. I know that I'm not alone in this. I'm writing this as a final thank you to Larry Grodsky. Maybe Larry has saved my life. Who knows?

Thank you Larry, and may God bless your soul.

-M

Latest posts