• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

LED auxiliary lights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex

Reaction score
I recently replaced my 4" HID lights with some LED lights. I've been torn between function, price, looks, and current draw from various light options since my first FJR back in 2003. I think I've finally found a solution that satisfies those wants/needs.

These little suckers pull between 1A and 1.8A each and throw out some serious light in a small package:

all%203%20lights.JPG
lights%20mounted.JPG

P1040214.JPG

I've mounted a pair of 1500Lm lights down on the forks that draw 3.0A combined. I then placed the 4 LED 1800Lm versions above the mirrors to throw the light down the road. The 1800Lm lights draw combined amperage of 3.6A. After months of research and testing, I’m pleased to have the opportunity of offering these lights at a great price on my website: realtimeindustries.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have any pictures depicting light throw and spread from the 1800Lm's alone, mounted on the mirror mounts?

I am interested in seeing the light throw and spread for these dual lights on the mirror mounts as seen from the rider's seat with no other lights, if possible.

Thanks much!

Sam

Ditto.

Beam cast pictures of both mountings would be awesome. Thanks.

For those (like myself) considering these, the 1500L lights would draw 40 watts per pair and the 1800L lights would draw 50W per pair. Still half of what a pair normal halogen 55W lamps pull.

Looks good! Do you supply the mounting brackets for the fork mounts? Where are they powered from? I'd like to power them from the low beam circuit for day time running lights.

Do you have any pictures depicting light throw and spread from the 1800Lm's alone, mounted on the mirror mounts?

I am interested in seeing the light throw and spread for these dual lights on the mirror mounts as seen from the rider's seat with no other lights, if possible.

Thanks much!

Sam
I will take some pictures this afternoon and post them up.

Ditto.

For those (like myself) considering these, the 1500L lights would draw 40 watts per pair and the 1800L lights would draw 50W per pair. Still half of what a pair normal halogen 55W lamps pull.
And you can install a dimmer with LED's to dial down the brightness for use during the day. I'm working on finding the best source for some dimmers. For now I'm using the HID low conversions for my main lights and utilizing the High/Low switch to activate my upper lights. The lower lights are just on a simple toggle switch.

Looks good! Do you supply the mounting brackets for the fork mounts? Where are they powered from? I'd like to power them from the low beam circuit for day time running lights.
They come with the stainless mounts that allow you to mount to any flat surface. I just used the existing screws that hold on the fender. Place the factory plastic washer between the fender bushing and the lights mounts, then thread the screw back in. The wire leads from the LED route with the brake lines and up the forks.

The 550Lm model would be great for daytime running lights.

I will take some pictures this afternoon and post them up.
Must be pretty bright if you can take a picture of them in the daytime :lol: (Sorry, couldn't resist)

And you can install a dimmer with LED's to dial down the brightness for use during the day. I'm working on finding the best source for some dimmers. For now I'm using the HID low conversions for my main lights and utilizing the High/Low switch to activate my upper lights. The lower lights are just on a simple toggle switch.

They come with the stainless mounts that allow you to mount to any flat surface. I just used the existing screws that hold on the fender. Place the factory plastic washer between the fender bushing and the lights mounts, then thread the screw back in. The wire leads from the LED route with the brake lines and up the forks.

The 550Lm model would be great for daytime running lights.
Excellent! I'm in. Ordering and payment details?

Any chance for a closeup photo showing the bracket mounting to the fender? I'm definitely interested...cheaper option than Clearwaters, which I simply can't afford, lol.

Ditto.

At 1800 Lm's they should also be at 50-80% brighter than their halogen aux light counterparts. Although still not as bright as HID's they would become more useful in traffic (instant flip on and off, also need to source a good dimmer). These are also a lot cheaper than Krista's or Aux HID's (although also a lot less brighter - half it seems), but at ~$700 for Krista's or $600 for PHID's or Hella Micro DE's these become very attractive to me.

EDIT - Glenda's are 550 Lm's and Krista's are 2750 Lm's, so comparing the 1800 Lm's with the Krista's, the Krista's are ~53% brighter (not twice as brighter).

Beamcast would be King here!

Based on your website data and this data sheet the design seems conservative based on 4 LED's per lamp which is good.

Would you happen to know which color temp LED's are used in your unit?

Thanks.

Great find Zorlac!

+1 on the color temp!

PS - By the way, I have the car in your avatar, but not the girl!!
sad.gif

Based on your website data and this data sheet the design seems conservative based on 4 LED's per lamp which is good.

Would you happen to know which color temp LED's are used in your unit?

Thanks.
Yes, there is another site with the same unit advertising them as 2000Lm (and $41.50 extra :blink: ), but I would rather be on the conservative side than to be too optimistic.

Your comments bring up another observation. The 4" HID's that I had mounted before these gave off a bluish light which, while very bright, really screwed with some road signs. Changing form all lit up back to stock lights took a bit for my eyes to adjust.

The 550 and 1500Lm versions would match up to 5000K and the 1800(2000Lm) versions would be 6000K. They are identical temperature to the H4 HID low conversion that I installed on the FJR.

Here is a reference chart that I estimated those Calvin temperatures from:

hid-colours-small.jpg

Is that your FJR with HID Low beams? The 5000K would be preferable to the 6000K, but is not available in the 1800 versions?

Hard to tell with the camera deluged by lights, but the lights on the mirror seem slightly bluer than the lights on the forks.

The stock headlights look like <4300K (although they don't seem like HID's, they look like H4 halogen high beams).

P1040214.JPG

Is that your FJR with HID Low beams? The 5000K would be preferable to the 6000K, but is not available in the 1800 versions?

Hard to tell with the camera deluged by lights, but the lights on the mirror seem slightly bluer than the lights on the forks.

The stock headlights look like 4300K.
Yes, that is my FJR. After looking the invoice from Future Vision it appears that my HID lows conversion is 4300K. They are exactly the same temperature as the 550 and 1500. The 1800 (mounted above the mirrors) are only 1 shade up the scale from 4300k at the most. I am revising my estimates to say that they would be 5000K. They definately are not blue like my 4" HID's. Those would I would estimate to be around the 8000k level.

Ditto.

Fred,

I did not follow your statement above. I have a pair of Hella FF50s mounted now. How much power do those use in comparison to the 1800 lumen lights? How much would the 550L lights add to that if I mounted the 1800s and 550s.

Ditto.Beam cast pictures of both mountings would be awesome. Thanks.For those (like myself) considering these, the 1500L lights would draw 40 watts per pair and the 1800L lights would draw 50W per pair. Still half of what a pair normal halogen 55W lamps pull.
Fred,I did not follow your statement above. I have a pair of Hella FF50s mounted now. How much power do those use in comparison to the 1800 lumen lights? How much would the 550L lights add to that if I mounted the 1800s and 550s.
Approx 26 Watts for the 550 pair.

Alex, if we could somehow cross-reference the part #'s for the LED's from Zorlac's data sheet link - then we would know the color temp range exactly for the various lights. "outdoor white" would be ideal.

Ditto.

Fred,

I did not follow your statement above. I have a pair of Hella FF50s mounted now. How much power do those use in comparison to the 1800 lumen lights? How much would the 550L lights add to that if I mounted the 1800s and 550s.
The FF50's are H3 incadecent lights that pull 110W for the pair or around 8-8.5A.

A pair of 1800's = 3.6A

1500's = 3.0A

550's = 2A

So 2-1800's and 2-550's will be 5.6A or around 74 watts.