LED Tail Lights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any idea who sells a QUALITY LED tail light?I guess turn signal bulbs too.

Thanks.
As you've probably learned, most replacement LED bulbs on the market don't put out as many lumens as incadescents. I also learned the hard way that most replacement 1157 LED bulbs won't fit into the FJR sockets.

Eventually, I added these instead: Clicky

IMG_1713.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Any idea who sells a QUALITY LED tail light?I guess turn signal bulbs too.

Thanks.
As you've probably learned, most replacement LED bulbs on the market don't put out as many lumens as incadescents. I also learned the hard way that most replacement 1157 LED bulbs won't fit into the FJR sockets.

Eventually, I added these instead: Clicky
FWIW, IMHO, YMMV, etc., it seems to me that LED lights are much more directional than standard lights and consequently aren't as visible unless they're being looked at directly on-line.

That said, I've got some of these on order that I'm going to try to adapt into the "reflector" on my Shad top box. I'm just doing it for additional light, though, not as a replacement for anything. The ability to use those as both a tail light and brake light was a key point for me.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do! Report back with what you think when you're done.

Rancho

I have a Givi top case with a AdMoreLighting kit that gives me running, brake, and turn signals right in the top case.

Pretty cool and adds WAY more light.

I'm looking to go with LED's all around to lower the electrical draw.

I know some LED lights are just no good so that's why I was asking if anybody had good luck with a certain brand that worked well.

I've replaced all my KLR (650 & 250) tail lights with a nice 24 LED board that works much better than the single 1157 bulb and has the option to flash if desired.

If I can find the company that builds those boards for the KLR lights I would try to get them built for the FJR but I haven't had any luck.

Thanks.

The other day I saw a FANTASTIC rear brake light.

Unfortunately I dont know who its made by, but, I'll try to describe it.

I was behind a guy who had this on his bike & you couldn't miss this, when he hit his brakes.

It was basically retangular fixture, my guess is approx 2.5 x 5 inch or maybe 3 x 6.

When he hit the brakes it flashed VERY BRIGHTLY , left / right , left / right like a police light

but only in red. Bright as can be & definately not led, much larger bulbs.

I am still making and selling a few LED tail/brake light kits for the Givi V46 trunk. These are much brighter than anything else you can find on the market anywhere, yet they draw less than 100 milliamps of current. $110 delivered.

Contact me off line if you are interested.

https://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/givibrakelites

medium.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I used a 3W Luxeon 1157-base LED from SuperbrightLEDs.com on my F650 and was very pleased with it - to my eyes it seemed just as bright as the stock incandescent 1157 (that kept breaking filaments from the vibrations).

I need to take a better look at the socket clearance on the FJR, but I'd feel pretty good about putting a pair of those on my FJR if they fit, or even moving to the 5W Luxeons for added bonus output.

For the amount of power the signals/running lights draw, I'd probably replace them as well (I don't like seeing my headlight "pulse" in time with my turn signals at idle).