Life After lowering the rear by 7/8"

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clutchless1

Reaction score
I recently lowered the FJR by 7/8" in the rear only. I have been happy to allow more of my feet to actually touch the ground while at a stop, especially when it's almost 100 degrees out and there's oil all over the road. My happiness came to a quick thud today when riding through a mall parking lot filled with speed bumps. I rode over these same speed bumps hundreds of times before without so much as a scrape, but that was before the bike was lowered.

So to all who have lowered their bike by the same 7/8" by installing the lowering links. BEWARE! I had no extra weight on the bike at all, the empty side bags were on the bike and I didn't have a passenger, it was just me on the bike, and I did have the rear set to the soft setting. Be careful riding if you come across anything that stands up off of the riding surface (like a freeking speed bump) I was just lucky I wasn't going a lot faster. The bike could have been damaged, or I could have lost control.

I did check under the bike just to be sure the header pipes took this unexpected hit ok, all checked out fine. Just remember the ass end is now lower, remember too the center stand is toward the rear of the frame. I just don't want anyone to ruin their day riding, get hurt or trash their bike far from home because they were unaware of this problem due to the change in suspension.

I'm not going to remove the lowering links I installed, because I love the fact I feel more stable coming to and while at a complete stop. I am however going to be a hell of a lot more careful and observant when and if I see anything that is higher than the roadway that may cause me a problem. :unsure:

Ride Safe,

clutchless1

You don't need to have the bike lowered to bottom out on speed bumps... I've bottomed out the Strom on certain speed bumps.

Y'mean like takin' them small mountins at en angle? Or tryin' to ride through the gaps?

Did you lower the forks into the triple trees as well? One must keep all of these changes in mind whilst riding. Happily you nave learned a valuable lesson.

Now, just between you and me....mine has trouble with parking lot speed bumps (they are quite tall her in NorCal) and its completely stock...except for the considerable weight heft of the rider.

I made my own lowering links out of some steel bars that I got at Ace hardware. I have a Gen II 07 bike. I made the holes between links 8" apart. This lowered the bike 1 7/8" at the rear, 1.5" at the rear axle and 1" at the seat. I had the same problem with speed bumps. The bike bounces over the bump when the front tire goes over and then the center of the bike rebounds back onto the bump. It usually hits the shock mount. Keep the front and rear suspensions adjusted firm and go over the bumps slowly should help.

1993250358_c5c098eb43.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I was surprised how much peg clearance I lost moving the tubes up the triple-clamps just a hare....a tiny bit made a big difference. I am back to stock height now. I can imagine what 7/8 will do.

I guess you shoulda skipped that Krispy Kream donut :p

donut.jpg

You might want to switch over to the firm setting in the rear. I bottom my FJR our just getting into my driveway with the suspension on soft. Doesn't do it at all on hard.

Has anyone here lowering their bike shaved any off the seat foam? About the cheapest and easiest way to get your feet to the ground is take some height off the top foam and or side foam to narrow the front. If after lowering the bikes suspension and still not quite there this might be of help. Also I know one of my neighbors uses thicker sole boots to help as well. PM. <>< :unsure:

Has anyone here lowering their bike shaved any off the seat foam? About the cheapest and easiest way to get your feet to the ground is take some height off the top foam and or side foam to narrow the front. If after lowering the bikes suspension and still not quite there this might be of help. Also I know one of my neighbors uses thicker sole boots to help as well. PM. <>< :unsure:
i haven't done it but somewhere in this forum i read about somebody doing it. i have also thought about getting the thicker soles done to my boots.

i haven't done it but somewhere in this forum i read about somebody doing it. i have also thought about getting the thicker soles done to my boots.

I have done all three. Koubalinks in the rear, lowered the forks 1/2 inch and am currently experimenting with the shaving the stock front seat before I attempt to play with my Sargent seat. Rear shock setting is on hard. With me being 5'6" tall and 160 lbs, I find this helps a great deal when planting my feet especially on gravel or loose stone.

Corbin claims that their modular seating system shortens the seat high almost two inches. They use their own steel seat pan that eliminates the space taken up by the adjustable factory seat mechanism. I purchased the seat in Daytona. I feel the seat allow me to place more of my feet on the ground. The seat is definitely more comfortable then the stock seat.

There was an article in Rider Magazine, either last month or the month before, about a guy in Florida who does this for $50.00. They (Rider) had a loner ST1300 wheich they had done by him and they were very happy with the results. Supposedly you have to send him a picture (ala Russell). And his turnaround time is also supposed to be 24 hours. Plus he has some way to save you money on the shipping. It could be an alternative to big buck seats. And, for another $10, he will LOWER YOUR SEAT.

I am going to the Russel December Group Buy for my FJR and my wife's FJR. We want to do lots of miles and the price is worth it for us. But, for $60 or so, you get a more butt friendly seat and a lower job all at the same time.

By the way, my wife's is lowered with the Koba Link and dropped 1/2 inch in the front. She also bottoms and she is not fat. So, if you lower your bike, like they said, be careful on bumps.

Be careful riding if you come across anything that stands up off of the riding surface (like a freeking speed bump) I was just lucky I wasn't going a lot faster. The bike could have been damaged, or I could have lost control.
or things like dips/peaks in the road surface while in the middle of a curve?

I just don't want anyone to ruin their day riding, get hurt or trash their bike far from home because they were unaware of this problem due to the change in suspension.
how does it affect steering response to have the front end raked out like a chopper?

and, don't forget, this nice, long-term solution for all you runts. :rofl:

Corbin claims that their modular seating system shortens the seat high almost two inches. They use their own steel seat pan that eliminates the space taken up by the adjustable factory seat mechanism. I purchased the seat in Daytona. I feel the seat allow me to place more of my feet on the ground. The seat is definitely more comfortable then the stock seat.
I read the same thing you mentioned about Corbin seats being lower. This issue is a BIGGIE with me. I NEED a better grip of the ground! I am very keen to know how you assess the Corbin seat. Please PM me if you wish. Thanks,

scooter78666

I haven't lowered mine, but the morons in my condo association decided to put in speed bumps and I literally have to idle the bike to get over the main entrance one without bottoming out. I rode the whole complex and that is the only one I can't take at the 10 MPH speed limit. Talked to the President of the association and he swears that they were all built to the same code. I watched them build them, couple of illegals with a shovel and some asphalt. I hate Speed Bumps, don't even get me started on how much more I would hate them if I lowered the bike. HOA's, gotta love 'em... :assassin:

Quick question regarding this ... Just the opposite though......

Has anyone put on (do they make them? Or homemade?) slightly smaller dogbones to raise the rear and create more ground clearance for aggressive cornering tactics and less parts scraping?

Just wondering?.?.?.?

WW

I hate Speed Bumps, don't even get me started on how much more I would hate them if I lowered the bike. HOA's, gotta love 'em... :assassin:
We have numerous areas in and around the streets of Tallahassee fitted with "traffic calming devices". When encountered, I use my dirt bike mentality and stand on the pegs. Never was much of a street rider but it seems to lessen the pain in my back and allow the suspension (sp) a little more room to operate.

Capt. Bob

I haven't lowered mine, but the morons in my condo association decided to put in speed bumps and I literally have to idle the bike to get over the main entrance one without bottoming out. I rode the whole complex and that is the only one I can't take at the 10 MPH speed limit. Talked to the President of the association and he swears that they were all built to the same code. I watched them build them, couple of illegals with a shovel and some asphalt. I hate Speed Bumps, don't even get me started on how much more I would hate them if I lowered the bike. HOA's, gotta love 'em... :assassin:
i'm trying to get a petition together to have "road humps" [1] installed on our residential street. some jokers like to use our street as a short cut between 2 other (larger) roads and refuse to keep the speeds down to something reasonable for a residential neighborhood.

[1] not as abrupt as "speed bumps" but a little higher and wider.